Illinois getting with the program (or at least attempting to)

[hmmm] That's a D before his district, right???[wink] It is "Shall issue" but the 1 yr. imprisonment conviction limit seems tight, but frankly in Illinois, the sentencing limits may be more sane (more proportionate to harm) then here in MA. List of prohibited places is long as well but that is common so nothing seemingly too onerous here.

Bradley introduces concealed-carry bill
Saturday, January 31, 2009 6:28 PM CST
The Southern

State Rep. John Bradley, D-Marion, announced he recently introduced a bill to establish statewide standards for permits to carry concealed firearms in Illinois.

“Forty-eight states have some form of concealed carry and it is time Illinoisans have the right to better defense themselves and their property,” Bradley said in a news release. “Illinois needs to catch up with the rest of the nation. Responsible gun owners deserve the right to protect themselves and their families.”

Bradley said his bill — House Bill 245, the Family and Personal Protection Act — would authorize Illinois State Police to issue concealed firearms permits to applicants who meet qualifications.

Under Brady’s proposal, a person would be eligible to carry and conceal a firearm if he or she is: at least 21 years old; a resident of Illinois for the past six months and a permanent U.S. resident; has not been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year; does not demonstrate a lack of mental capacity according to Illinois State Police records; and does not have a problem with substance abuse.

In addition, those seeking a concealed carry permit would have to complete firearms and deadly use of force training.

Under the proposal, concealed firearms would not be allowed inside police stations, prisons, government offices, courthouses, bars, airports, schools, riverboats, amusement parks, arenas, stadiums and churches.

Sure, it's a step in the right direction, but look at the restricted areas!!!

"Under the proposal, concealed firearms would not be allowed inside police stations, prisons, government offices, courthouses, bars, airports, schools, riverboats, amusement parks, arenas, stadiums and churches."

"Under the proposal, concealed firearms would not be allowed inside police stations, prisons, government offices, courthouses, bars, airports, schools, riverboats, amusement parks, arenas, stadiums and churches."

Im tellin ya, MA doesnt have it that bad in terms of where one can and cannot carry.

Im tellin ya, MA doesnt have it that bad in terms of where one can and cannot carry.

I happened to be talking with a gentleman one day at four season's when I was picking up my G26. I know he is on this board. Rob Bourdie i think. He was saying how he likes to give his buddy a hard time about where he can/can't carry. [laugh] I think it was Georgia. We have stricter laws about what we can/cannot buy but only a few limitations to where we can't carry.

The fact ILL and Wisconsin are the only 2 states without some kind of carry laws sucks.

But those restrictions are common elsewhere so in relative terms, that list isn't horrible.

Wow. I mean simply...wow.

From Obama oppression to self protection. Illinois has come a long way.

And then they pull something like this...

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billsta...0&GA=96&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=41158&SessionID=76

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that any person who owns a firearm in this State shall maintain a policy of liability insurance in the amount of at least $1,000,000 specifically covering any damages resulting from negligent or willful acts involving the use of such firearm while it is owned by such person. Provides that a person shall be deemed the owner of a firearm after the firearm is lost or stolen until such loss or theft is reported to the police department or sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the owner resides. Provides that the Department of State Police shall revoke and seize a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued under this Act if the Department finds that the person to whom such card was issued possesses or acquires a firearm and does not submit evidence to the Department of State Police that he or she has been issued in his or her name a liability insurance policy in the amount of at least $1,000,000 specifically covering any damages resulting from negligent or willful acts involving the use of such firearm while it is owned by such person. Effective January 1, 2010.

Back
Top Bottom