Imperial Sizing Wax - how?

Well, it finally happened - or I guess I should say it happened again. I got a .25-06 case stuck in the die, which is the first stuck case I've had since an ill-fated experiment with One-Shot many years ago. I was able to get the last one out by generous application of a center punch, but that didn't work this time, so I sprung for the RCBS remover kit. Long story short - it worked fine, even though I had to mash the die in a vise and pound on the hex key wrench with a hammer (big hammer) for a while. But that's not really what I wanted to tell you about . . .

Vowing that I'd never make THAT mistake again, and based on the recommendations of folks here who are wiser than I, I also ordered some Imperial Sizing Wax. It works fine and is definitely an improvement over that nasty sticky lanolin-based lube, but I'm wondering exactly how you're supposed to apply it. I've been simply smearing it on each case with my fingers and, although that gets the job done, it's a slow and messy process. There's gotta be a better way (I hope). What do those of you who use the stuff do? Is it possible to put it on a case lube pad and roll the cases across it?

If you get it really stuck, you can send the die back to RCBS. They will remove it for you without damaging the die. It was free the last time I sent one in.

If you get it really stuck, you can send the die back to RCBS. They will remove it for you without damaging the die. It was free the last time I sent one in.

Yeah, I was aware of that and was headed in that direction if the bigger hammer technique didn't work. The die appears to be fine, no thanks to me I'm sure. What was the turnaround time on having them do it?

I have stuck more cases using Imperial sizing wax than any other product. I only used it when making radical case changes, and smear it on with my fingers. I use Midway's spray lanolin/alcohol lube for everything now, with no problems.
I used motor honey many years ago and it worked fine, but that was sticky stuff!

Last edited:
I have a closed cell foam pad that I got out of an ammo crate. I smear a dab on and then roll the cases. It is sort of like the RCBS pad. I have a carbide expander ball but still use a brush to try and get a little in the case neck. I've also used a Forester mica set up to lube the inside of the neck.

B

I take a Viva paper towel, fold it in half and rub it through the wax so I get a coating on the whole 1/2 towel. Then I put a bunch of cases on it and roll them around. I resized over 300 .223 cases off the wax on one paper towel.

Back
Top Bottom