Improv choke wrench that works.

Viper22

NES Member
I forgot to stop and buy a choke wrench today after work, so I looked though my toolbox to find something that might work. I came up empty.

As I'm sitting here browsing NES, I look around my desk and there it is! Something that just might work!!! I grab my shotgun out of the safe and proceed to easily remove the full choke and install the improved cylinder choke. It was almost too easy. I'm considering not buying a choke wrench now.

What is the object I found?

A quarter.

Yup. A quarter. I would take pictures, but I'm feeling lazy.

It fits in the two grooves of the factory Mossberg 500 chokes like they were made for it. It saved me spending a few bucks, so I figured I'd post it here. Maybe it'll save somebody else from going and spending money on a choke wrench. (Which will inevitably lead to buying other, more expensive things to go with the choke wrench...)

quarters are fine until it gets a little stuck. This is the best choke wrench shy of the gunsmith type from brownells that I have used.

I keep the threads well greased, so I always just jam my finger in the barrel and twist. I will try a quarter next time I break it out, just out of curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom