In-Line Black Powder

JonJ

NES Member
A coworker and I were discussing the deer seasons last week. He asked about black powder and I mentioned in-line BP rifles. I really don't know that much about them. Do in-lines load the same way as the older style (patch on the muzzle, projectile then rammed in)? Is the only mechanical difference that the cap goes in the breech and a bolt closes on it? So in effect the cap is behind the load as opposed to it's side?
Thanks,
Jon

Jon,

I did a little research on this up in Tenn. A lot has changed since my .50 cal. Hawkin's days!

Long gone is the ball and patch. The projectile has changed a lot to include copper jacketed expansion rounds. Yep, just like a modern hollow-point.

Also, instead of the patch is a plastic wad much like you would find in a shotshell.

Most powder now comes in 30 or 50 grain preformed pellets for the particular muzzle diameter and all of this is usually 'loaded' in a plastic tube.

So, pull of the end of the tube, drop in the powder pellets of the amount you wish, the bullet sets in the plastic wadding and tap it down the muzzle with a ramrod.

Open the breach and insert the primer. Yes, it's a primer now and not the old caps we used to know. There using the 209 priming system which is essentially a shotgun primer.

Thanks Tony. I was searching around and couldn't find a site that explained the differences or loading. Real big changes!

Jon,
I'm a traditional type BP shooter, have done it in competition fer years. I never took to the new stuff. I do know that accuracy from a traditional muzzle loader is not that difficult to come by.
Scott

Back
Top Bottom