Independent Sportsmen's Club of Foxboro?

Sure. I've been a member for 4 years. It's a decent facility with several skeet
fields, sporting clays, trap, and an outdoor pistol and rifle range. It's a
shotgun-focused club, so if you shoot rifle or pistol you will usually have the place
to yourself. Let me know more about your interests and I can tell you more
about the club...

F

It hosts an action pistol event at least once a month. Sometimes it will be .22 or shotgun, just for variety.

What I need in a club

I am looking for a club that tactical friendly (shoot from a draw with a handgun, rapid fire, shoot close distances with an ar).

I also like to bring visitors with me. I do not mind paying for them.

Do you think this club would work for me?

Steve hasn't gotten an answer from the BOD since he has conflicts on Wednesday nights. That's why he's checking other places.

More about this at the Mansfield meeting tonight!

massnee,
Both the Independent Sportsman’s club and Mansfield Fish and Game PS are good clubs.

The Independent Sportsman’s club is a shotgun geared club as mentioned above but has a 100 yard rifle range (shooting allowed only from a bench). It also has small 25 yard and 50 yard pistol ranges. On the pistol ranges you can draw from a holster but I think they might have a max # of rounds rule, I’m not sure.

The club is very active with Combat style hand gun matches (no max # of rounds during matches) with occasional shotgun or .22 rim fire matches.

The Mansfield Fish and Game PS is a rifle and pistol geared club. It has a 100 yard rifle range (targets must be set at 100 yards) and a 50 yard rifle/pistol range where targets may be set at any safe distance. You may shoot from any position.

The club is very active with Cowboy Action shooting and to a lesser degree Black Powder shooting. There is no Combat style shooting done at this time. You may draw from a holster and there is no max # of rounds.

I think both clubs have dues of about $100 a year with a one time charge of $100 or so.

Respectfully,

jkelly

firtree said:

Steve works every Wednesday night and Mansfield F&G has a rule that prospective members must appear before the BOD meeting (last Wed of the month) and the membership meeting where they are voted in (1st Wed of the month).

So I spoke with Greg (President) and sent Email to Pres/VP/Ted about an exception for those that just can't make the meetings due to work commitments. Greg seemed receptive to meeting him at another time. So Steve showed up at a shoot on a weekend and chatted with him and got a less than enthusiastic response about an exception to the Wed night requirement!

I was going to bring it up at last night's meeting, but we got bombed here with what some neighbors suspect to have been a tornado (I don't think so) that killed power, took out lots of trees/telephone poles and blocked a lot of streets. Thus, I never made the meeting.

This issue isn't only about Steve, because I have a buddy who is the night Sgt on the PD, department firearms instructor and Major in US Army Reserves (spent some time in the sandbox a couple of years ago). He has the same problem. Both Steve and the Sgt would be excellent members for Mansfield, but if the club won't bend the rule, I can't recommend these people look there.

Well Len...

And not to go too far off topic...

But last night, there were around 5 or 7 members of the board.

The introduced the new members to the board first, then to the general membership. All at Last nights meeting because they couldn't make it to last Wednesday.

So, at least now you have a precedent to argue with the folks you know.

Len & Chris,

Maybe if a proposal, with clearly defined "exceptions to the policy" and other qualifications, such as assigned night tours, present military, 2 club sponsors, etc was presented to MF&GPA, the policy could be modified. Then the 3 individuals noted previously could join.

Sorry for interrupting the "Independent Sportsmen's" thread.

Ferretfour

I spoke with the VP last night and the President of MF&G tonight. It's in the by-laws that the proposed member MUST be present for a BOD meeting, so they don't sound very pre-disposed to changing the by-laws for a few potential members.

The President promised me that he'd give massnee a call and talk with him plus discuss the matter at the next BOD meeting.

Len & Chris,

Maybe if a proposal, with clearly defined "exceptions to the policy" and other qualifications, such as assigned night tours, present military, 2 club sponsors, etc was presented to MF&GPA, the policy could be modified. Then the 3 individuals noted previously could join.

Sorry for interrupting the "Independent Sportsmen's" thread.

Ferretfour

Len

Please strike the words "policy" and add the words "by-law" in my previous message. The intent was to change/modify the existing by-laws to allow exceptions to the existing defined by-law.

Ferretfour

I'm still a bit new at MF&G to go about trying to change their by-laws. I've only been a member since May. So I'll see if their BOD wants to make any sort of accommodation or not and we'll play it that way for now.

I guess the lesson learned is "know your club's rules in detail before recommending that anyone join and then make sure that they can join" (that their work schedule doesn't preclude their meeting the requirements.

Back
Top Bottom