International Gun Inheritance. How does this work?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I have a friend at work that came to me for some advise that I have no clue about. He has an uncle that lived in Albania. He passed just recently and in his will he left my friend a WWI rifle and a more modern bolt action hunting rifle. My friend is not exactly sure of the models yet, but he was wondering if it's possible for him to even get these rifles seeing they are now overseas in a very obscure country.

I was thinking he needed to get an import license or something, but it would be a huge guess on my part. He does have a LTC, so I'm sure he can legally own them.

Does anyone know what the process would be for this. I'm thinking this is a stretch, but figured I'd try here first for some ideas. Thanks

I do beleive the BATFE would have to approve bringing the firearms into the country. After that, i'm not really sure. Prob want to contact them and find out the process for getting them into the country.

Hmm, that's a question I haven't ever really looked in to. But a quick search reveals the following, from FEDERAL FIREARMS REGULATIONS REFERENCE GUIDE (page 160):

A permit must be obtained to import or bring into the United States any firearm or ammunition. The firearm or ammunition must be generally recognized as particularly suitable for, or readily adaptable to, sporting purposes. Surplus military firearms are generally excluded from importation into the United States except for certain curio or relic surplus military firearms imported by licensed importers only. A federally licensed firearms dealer located in the nonlicensee's State of residence may act as an agent to import the nonlicensee's personal firearm, provided that the firearm is lawfully importable. The form to be used by the licensee is ATF Form 6, Part I, Application and Permit For Importation of Firearms, Ammunition and Implements of War, and may be obtained from the Bureau of ATF, Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch, or from the ATF website at www.ATF.gov.

Thanks everyone for the information. I think this will help him a lot. He may have problems getting the WW1 rifle into the country going by the sound of it. The more modern rifle may happen. I guess it all depends upon how much this will cost him and if it's worth it. Then again, it may be a family thing, which means money isn't really the big motivator.

If you do business with Four Seasons, ask Carl for contact info for his former employee who went off to run an import/export business (firearms). Don't recall the guy's name, but if he's still doing this, he should probably know the process and costs involved.

I wish the guy good luck, it's likely to not be easy or cheap.

Back
Top Bottom