• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interview with a WW II P-47 pilot

How many WWII vets didn't fit in their dress unis in later years? Damn near all of them I bet.

Probably not many, though my Grandfather would have had a better chance of fitting into something fitted before WW2 than after. I'll have to check his service record to see exactly how long he was fighting in the Pacific, but his division still holds the all time record of 654 days in combat. I doubt any of them came back the same weight and can you blame them for carrying more weight in later years?

Still cool when the old guys look good in their uniforms. My childhood church in central California had a group of WW1 guys that met there. They'd wear uniforms on special occasions and looked pretty sharp.

lol... In Indo-China it was a binary choice. Was there no fire zone or free fire zone. Haven't said that you had to use your discretion
For USMC helicopter pilots like my Dad I think there was a lot of 'discretion', and for good reason. Probably the same for Army helicopter pilots. I don't think the Corps had any gun cameras on those birds. Our family friend Air Force and Navy pilots were under much tighter scrutiny.

For USMC helicopter pilots like my Dad I think there was a lot of 'discretion', and for good reason. Probably the same for Army helicopter pilots. I don't think the Corps had any gun cameras on those birds. Our family friend Air Force and Navy pilots were under much tighter scrutiny.
lol..... I don't know the young studs seem to think they're there are rules and war, but the truth is there are no rules in war. Now you may be hung on a rule but the truth is no rules and I'm sorry if that feels a bit harsh

lol..... I don't know the young studs seem to think they're there are rules and war, but the truth is there are no rules in war. Now you may be hung on a rule but the truth is no rules and I'm sorry if that feels a bit harsh
If you are familiar with Vietnam Thud pilots and their situation, that's what I'm talking about- courtmartialed for targeting emplacements that were killing his pilots and downing his planes. Our close friend was under similar insane overwatch for his A-6 missions.

Eventually the Air Force wised up, and Thud Ridge more or less became required reading for Air Force captains earning their bars.

If you are familiar with Vietnam Thud pilots and their situation, that's what I'm talking about- courtmartialed for targeting emplacements that were killing his pilots and downing his planes. Our close friend was under similar insane overwatch for his A-6 missions.

Eventually the Air Force wised up, and Thud Ridge more or less became required reading for Air Force captains earning their bars.
President Johnson and his Ivy league Liberals picking targets and setting rules of engagement. I have the book Thud Ridge and it is excellent.
On the F-105 there is fiction book called Termite Hill that is good reading by Tom Wilson.

Last edited:

Yup a buddy from NH used to flyi 'Jolly Greens' into the North Vietnam from Thailand to rescue the down thud pilots or whoever else was unfortunate that day.

Back
Top Bottom