• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Into the Wild" movie gun question (movie spoilers)

Thread resurrection!

In June 2020, the park service got a guard Chinook to remove the bus so the idiot tourists wouldn't keep going there...

Thread resurrection!

In June 2020, the park service got a guard Chinook to remove the bus so the idiot tourists wouldn't keep going there...

I saw the movie and researched the story. Imo this was not a kid that went into the Alaska interior to try to prove he could survive.....he was a hippie idiot that went unprepared and paid the price of his stupidity.

I always figured he took a .22 because he could carry an abundance of ammo. Poor choice for big game country, however.

Just read the story of Bella Twin last night - that was an old broken down single shot rifle she used. She took the grizzly down with her first shot, then stood over it loading the rifle and shooting it again and again to make sure it was dead. Apparently she had a reputation as an excellent shot - oh yeah!
Cannuck whiz-bang's .22lr circa '53'
CIL-22-Long-1950-1956-Bella-Twin-600x327.jpg
Ammo Used to Kill 1953 World Record Grizzly

.22LR has about double or triple the kinetic energy of a bow.

How Much Kinetic Energy For Bowhunting?

Kinetic Energy Recommendations for Bowhunting​

Small Game25 ft.lbs.
Medium Game (Deer, Antelope)25-41 ft.lbs.
Large Game (Elk, Black Bear, Boar)42-65 ft.lbs.
Big Game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly Bear)65 ft.lbs.

.22 Rimfire Ballistics Tables - Ruger 1022

So, I don't doubt that .22LR could kill a moose with good shot placement. Would I try and survive with a .22 in Alaska? No, I'd be bringing something either in .308 or 8mm Mauser and also a shotgun.

.22LR has about double or triple the kinetic energy of a bow.

How Much Kinetic Energy For Bowhunting?

.22 Rimfire Ballistics Tables - Ruger 1022

So, I don't doubt that .22LR could kill a moose with good shot placement. Would I try and survive with a .22 in Alaska? No, I'd be bringing something either in .308 or 8mm Mauser and also a shotgun.

Very interesting. I guess I never thought of analyzing the efficacy of .22lr vs. an arrow in terms of the physics. I'm sure other factors apply like penetration and tissue damage, but this is food for thought. I think I'd still chose a 30 cal round for Alaska.

THAT WAS VERY HARD TO WATCH...

now I'm hungry.
View attachment 506818
It's all well and good until the beefer moves at the very last moment and throws off your shot placement.
We always put down a scoop of grain to be sure where where the head would be. And used the multi-purpose truck gun, the thuddy-thuddy.

Back
Top Bottom