IRR promotion? (Marine Corps question)

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Alright, I've been out of the Marines since December 26th, 2007 (merry Christmas, lol). I was just informed by my wife that some mail arrived from MOBCOM today that is addressed to me, but has "Sgt" in front of my name, rather than "Cpl". I just checked my BIR on MOL and apparently I am a sergeant now with a DOR of 20090701. Can you really get promoted while just languishing in the IRR?

BTW: I know this is a gun forum, but every Marine is a rifleman, so this question is on topic, IMHO [wink].

Not sure how the USMC Promotion system works, but, if it's test and national merit list oriented, it could happen.

Damned sure the first time I heard of anything like it.

Congrats, new SGT.

Well, it must be possible, because my promotion warrant was what was in the envelope. Weird...why couldn't my first 3 promotions have been that easy???

Alright, I've been out of the Marines since December 26th, 2007 (merry Christmas, lol). I was just informed by my wife that some mail arrived from MOBCOM today that is addressed to me, but has "Sgt" in front of my name, rather than "Cpl". I just checked my BIR on MOL and apparently I am a sergeant now with a DOR of 20090701. Can you really get promoted while just languishing in the IRR?

BTW: I know this is a gun forum, but every Marine is a rifleman, so this question is on topic, IMHO [wink].

Yes you can get promoted in the IRR. I had the same situation (going from E4to E5). You can expect a phone call from a prior service recruiter any day now too.

No PFT?

No Pro / Con marks?

No MCIs?

No resident PME?

No req / [STRIKE]non-req[/STRIKE]?

No KD requal?

Your DPP must be all payed up!

Just be sure to get all your new chevrons sewn on ASAP![wink]

Congrats and Semper Fidelis!

To everyone who said congrats, thank you very much. To everyone hinting at a recall...you all suck[wink]. I guess I better dust off those service alphas in case I end up reporting to a new command.

Congrats! Sgt.

If you are lucky enough to be called up locally that is, look me up. I am a Corpsman with B Co 1/25 out of Manchester NH

Semper Fi!

Looks like somebody answered the question but...yes, on IRR you can be promoted... it has something to do with your retirement plan...you acrue time towards your 20 while on IRR. you can even finish out your 20 on IRR and receive some compensation when you retire but you WILL be called up for the next conflict.

Congrats on sgt! now here's my question:

Can you pick up staff-sergeant on IRR? haha I had 7 months as a sgt(e-5) with a couple fitreps but nothing for accelerated promotion or anything...

Does anybody know what kind of hoops I need to jump through? maybe I'll do my Staff NCO school next summer through MOBCOM

What's your date of rank in MOL? It took a month for my warrant to get delivered to me.

BTW, congrats. I'll be over this weekend for the blood striping [wink].

Yea promotions are common in the IRR if you even wanted to you can do MCI's in the IRR haha. you can even keep your IRR updated and retire from the IRR

Back
Top Bottom