Irrigation Buckets

I got this idea from one of my garden books. Take a 5 gallon bucket and put a small hole in the side right near the bottom. I used an 1/8 bit. Put it next to whatever you want to water with the hole pointing towards the plant and fill the bucket. It puts a nice easy stream of water right next to the plant. It also is an easy way to add a little fertilizer. I have used them on my new grapes and pecans. They are not in the garden or near a hose. THe best thing about the buckets is that the water comes out slow enough for the ground to absorb it all.

Something maybe cooler that I read mary jane growers do... they use a 5 gallon tipper like this
http://www.morsemfgco.com/products/can-tippers.htm but adjusted so the pivot is below the middle.
They then use a small 12v solar panel to power an automotive windshield washer and fill the bucket from a creek or small stream. The bucket is up hill along a ditch. When the bucket fills it will tip over and all spill out at once... then go back upright (because the bottom weighs more - even though the pivot is below center) ... and it starts to fill again. (You know, like those perpetual motion birds that Homer Simpson uses to press the Y key on his keyboard when he sleeps.)
The reason for it all dumping at once is so the volume of water released at once won't absorb into the ground but run downhill and water a row of pot plants... without them coming out daily and risking getting caught.

Back
Top Bottom