Augason farms 30day buckets

I will renew my objection to calling it 30 days of nutrition, because it's all carbs:

Includes Instant Potatoes (30 servings),
Macaroni (30 servings), Cheese Powder (30 servings),
Creamy Potato Soup Mix (30 servings),
Cheesy Broccoli Rice (30 servings),
Creamy Chicken Rice (30 servings),
Hearty Vegetable Blend (40 servings),
Oatmeal (40 servings), Maple and Brown Sugar (40 servings),
Morning Moo's Low Fat Milk Alternative (80 servings),

30-day meal planner, 45-day meal planner, self-filtering water bottle and FireOn disk.

You could survive on it, but without additive protein, it's not good nutritionally at all.

I find mountain house does much better with buckets. there is no protein in these buckets. I do have a couple these buckets but i have augason chicken and beef #10 cans to add to the meals.

I find mountain house does much better with buckets. there is no protein in these buckets. I do have a couple these buckets but i have augason chicken and beef #10 cans to add to the meals.

or jerky, or pemmican, or fresh eggs or tuna, or peanut butter, or home canned bacon.

plant to watch the sodium content as well, and the packages can be sodium diluted with rice, which also extends the length of time a bucket will feed you.

A companion 5 gallon bucket with bullion, pepper, cinnamon, dehydrated tomato, etc. will also make that bucket a whole bunch more palatable

Mountain house has a well earned reputation for good food imo. But, from a cost point of view, you can only get a 4 day bucket of mountain house for the same $80, give or take. If someone is starting at ground zero they could stock a family of 4 for $250 to last 30 days with this. That isn't bad so long as the food is reasonably palatable.

Remember the context I mentioned this in: a way to quick start a prep. It'll get you going and then you can add to it over time.

I brought it up because I'd like to have something to suggest to friends and family to get them going that doesn't bust the budget and is tractable for the uninitiated. You could even give them as gifts to family if you were inclined. The phrase "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" comes to mind. They don't have to be perfect. They have to be good enough to keep people out of desperation in a SHTF scenerio what ever the cause. And because it is relatively easy it can get people past the barrier to starting to prep a little if they don't have to think about it too much to get started.

When I started it was overwhelming to figure out what and how. Something like this might have got me moving earlier.

So, I'll answer my own question: Yes, so long as they are not terrible to eat, they are good for jump starting a prep.

So the question is now: are they terrible to eat?

I have a few of these buckets, but as others have said you need to augment them with other items. Augason Farms has many items that will add protein to these buckets.

Absent natural gas, propane, electricity, etc., what heating element and power source is suggested? I read in another post Esbit w/fuel cubes are basic, low cost, cooking gear?

http://www.amazon.com/Esbit-CS585HA...ords=camping+cook+kits&refinements=p_89:Esbit

http://www.amazon.com/Esbit-Degree-...468_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ETXTFQTG42E48RFPXCW

If I'm staying put, I have a 500 gallon propane tank. Also a rocket stove. Also 120 acres of deadfall and a flat top wood stove, and chainsaw with extra chains, bars and shelf-stable no ethanol high octane gasoline to feed it for quite a while

Mountain house has a well earned reputation for good food imo. But, from a cost point of view, you can only get a 4 day bucket of mountain house for the same $80, give or take. If someone is starting at ground zero they could stock a family of 4 for $250 to last 30 days with this. That isn't bad so long as the food is reasonably palatable.

Remember the context I mentioned this in: a way to quick start a prep. It'll get you going and then you can add to it over time.

I brought it up because I'd like to have something to suggest to friends and family to get them going that doesn't bust the budget and is tractable for the uninitiated. You could even give them as gifts to family if you were inclined. The phrase "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" comes to mind. They don't have to be perfect. They have to be good enough to keep people out of desperation in a SHTF scenerio what ever the cause. And because it is relatively easy it can get people past the barrier to starting to prep a little if they don't have to think about it too much to get started.

When I started it was overwhelming to figure out what and how. Something like this might have got me moving earlier.

So, I'll answer my own question: Yes, so long as they are not terrible to eat, they are good for jump starting a prep.

you just described me...I figured this was a simple way to start prepping.

no they are not terrible to eat i actually like the potato soup. in my opinion these buckets are a good start to storing some very long term food stores, as someone already mention these buckets are mostly carbs. I started a little over a year ago with a budget of $75 a month and i look for sales only. I have stocked about 8 months of food to feed my family all longterm mountian house or auguson farms. this doesn't include spam, tuna, canned soups and other items. The only thing i remind friends and family who start prepping is nothing is as good as fresh food and my stores are mainly for when there's no more fresh food left.

You're gonna be glad for those carbs if SHTF. That said, it's a good way to start. By all means, add other items, Like MH, as the budget allows . Also keep canned chicken and tuna on hand, I usually pay 1.00 for a 5 oz. can. Look for those with an expiration date as far into the future as possible. Mark them with the date with a permanent marker when they come in, for quick reference, (Spouse's idea) Then rotate as needed. I plan to add these to the Augason meals. Keep enough on hand. MY go-to power outage meal is 2 cans plus a box of rice a roni on the camp stove. Tasty and very filling.

Back
Top Bottom