Is anybody running a Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT?

aeromarine

NES Member
I decided to upgrade to a digital capability and picked up a BCD996XT. I'm running it with FreeScan software and Radio Reference frequency downloads. However, I'm having a devil of a time getting the radio to scan the systems I've installed. Rather, it always stops on the first frequency loaded into the system. If anyone in NES land has experience with this radio I'd welcome the chance to get your advice on how to get my radio operating.

If you are trying to scan trunked systems they take a little more programming than normal frequencies.
In EDAC systems the frequencies need to be entered in the correct order in order from them to work properly. On the trunked systems you also need to program the talk groups.
Uniden scanners suck to program, the GRE scanners are a lot simpler and pick up better. I have both and have done side by side comparisons.
My buddy has one of the Home patrol scanners from Uniden that takes all the programming issues away but it has terrible reception and no easy provision for an external antenna.

There are several forums where you can probably get the exact information you are looking for.

I have a Uniden BCT15X and BC346XTC both programmed to scan conventional and analog trunked systems. You may find some success with ProScan. They give you a 30 day free trial, and I prefer it to FreeScan. If you want PM me and I can take a look at your FreeScan config.

http://www.proscan.org/

Back
Top Bottom