Is Chelsea a high crime area?

I'll be doing some land surveying up there this week or next, on Marginal St, just south of Suffolk St. I heard Chelsea is a bad area and I plan to carry as I always do, but I wanted to hear from some residents about what I should expect if anything. It's a 2-3 day job for a proposed marina.

Thanks

Chelsea is weird. The downtown area is actually kinda nice, as far as the architecture and such go. Looks like it was plucked out of a movie of something. Everything else is the pits. I'm working a job over there now which is quite literally across the street from a methadone clinic, which again, looks like it was plucked out of a movie.

I read last week that Chelsea is one of those "Sanctuary Cities". It explains a lot.

From my observations, if you are white and speak English, you will stick out like a sore thumb.

Last edited:
Violent crime - more likely than most places but you probably won't see any.
Break-ins of your car if anything is left visible - likely, and other property crimes -likely.

Last edited:
I used to work on Marginal Street, at the Coastal Oil terminal. Be careful if you decide to shoot at somebody. There are lot of big blow-uppy things around.

Marginal during the day? Nothing to really worry about that you wouldn't anywhere else. It's mostly just a dumpy industrial area, just like you can find in 100 other places in MA. Even at night it wasn't bad. I still carried, though. Compared to some of the places I've been it's pretty "lightweight". Parts of Brockton will run chills up your spine in comparison.

-Mike

having worked there for much of my career, I would tell you to keep one in the chamber and the safety off

I have family that lives right next to the police station....hence.....one in the chamber at all times...be ready to pull the trigger...this place is a sh*t hole...

I work right over the bridge and around the corner on border st. and in eastie .the area your talking about is not to bad during the day ,there's actually often leos on foot patrols.mind if I ask where the proposed marina location is, coincidentally I'm in marine construction.

I drive that road everyday to get to work. Lets just say last week I'm driving by dunkin donuts at 5:00am and there is a cop there peering in the window with his gun drawn.

Been a few murders in the area in the past few months. Not saying they are looking for you, usually just teenage gang bangers killing each other

I work right over the bridge and around the corner on border st. and in eastie .the area your talking about is not to bad during the day ,there's actually often leos on foot patrols.mind if I ask where the proposed marina location is, coincidentally I'm in marine construction.

It's beside a car rental, there's an area on the Chelsea river with a lot of old wooden piles sticking out of the water, and a barge or two. The owner owns the car rental as well.

I agree with most of the posts so far. I'd worry more about keeping my vehicle secured than being the subject of an attack.

I'd worry more about keeping my vehicle secured than being the subject of an attack.
EXACTLY why you should carry!

I live in Chelsea. Daytime - no problem. At night, secure your belongings so nobody breaks into your car. I definitely carry at night and sometimes during the day (but it's not necessary in most Chelsea places during daylight).

Best Mexican food around this side of Texas. Eat at the Tijuana Restaurant on Broadway. Yum!

It's a 6 on a scale from 1-10. Be aware, but worry more about your car getting stolen than being confronted. Chelsea, Revere, Winter Hill, Sommerville, Everett, and others are being overrun with middle class families that need a a place to live. Be wary, but don't be afraid.

Dorchester, Mattapan, Lynn, some areas of Roslindale, Hyde Park, Brockton, if I'm not carrying, I'm not going in.

Just like anywhere else, the way you carry yourself is going to have a lot more effect on whether or not you have trouble than the crime rate in the area.

Walk around looking scared and unsure, you might have a problem. Walk around looking like Captain Gung-Ho Crimefighter, you might have a problem.

Mind your own business, do your job, and project an aura of confident calm, yet keep alert and ready, you'll most likely be ok.

I simply asked how Chelsea was crime wise, I don't need a self esteem lesson. I was serving in Lebanon when some of you were still hanging off of one of momma's ta-ta's. I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. It does help however, to know you're surroundings.

So to make a long story short please stick to answering the question and spare me the PBS info-mercials on how to carry myself.

I simply asked how Chelsea was crime wise, I don't need a self esteem lesson. I was serving in Lebanon when some of you were still hanging off of one of momma's ta-ta's. I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. It does help however, to know you're surroundings.

So to make a long story short please stick to answering the question and spare me the PBS info-mercials on how to carry myself.

*Not trying to be a dick Kurtz*

BUT

If you have as much experience as you do, why is it even a question about how to carry yourself in that area? Crime happens everywhere from Mount Vernon to Dorchester. It wouldn't hurt to have the same self alert system everywhere as opposed to just the "bad" areas.

Also, thank you for your service as I'm guessing you weren't a waiter in Lebanon[wink][laugh]

I think experience in one area is just that. In the military there's usually a little indocrination and training before being deployed to an unfamiliar area. That's all I'm trying to do. And yes, I was a waiter :)

So far I would agree with the relevant posts about Chelsea. 6 out of 10. My experience has been limited to the 100 ft radius of my union hall, and Chelsea-by-the-bridge near Tony Floramo's.... the later being the crappy, dumpy, sketchy people area.

All trouble can be avoided if you IN FACT do wear the King Diamond face paint!

Back
Top Bottom