Is it a good idea to get a trigger job done on your CCW?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Every once in a while I see a thread asking for advise on where to get a good trigger job done. Most of the time the reason is the 10lb plus MA trigger pull.

My question is this. Is it a good idea to get a trigger job done on your CCW? I'm thinking that by doing this you are reducing the state mandated trigger pull amount. Not a bad thing in my book, but I'm wondering if it would count against you if you had to use your CCW and actually shot someone. This twisted state may try to show that is motive that you were the aggressor and/or that you broke the law by modifying your handgun.

Just wondering.

FWIW I had some work done on my MA Sig 226 which I was carrying at the time.

There is no law against modifying your trigger.

Many of the gun magazines I read say not to have a trigger set to light for your CCW. According to the articles I have read; If you shoot and kill a criminal and charges are brought against you, it is easier for the prosecutors to convict you of manslaughter expressing that you may have accidentally shot the criminal as a result of a light trigger pull. I am not a lawyer and I have no idea if this is true in any way.

Maybe they could use it against you but then wouldn't every person who carries a 1911 have the same problem? I for one would feel more confident with my CCW with a better trigger, not that I don't feel confident now just every advantage I can get is good in my book.

Last edited:
Spend more time worrying about whether you were really faced with an imminent lethal attack from which you could not save yourself unless by drawing and firing your firearm.

Too many folks seem to get all caught up in whether having a trigger job done on a carry gun will place them in criminal or civil jeopardy should they be forced to use a gun in self-defense.

The weight of one's trigger pull has very little to do with the determination of whether it was a good shoot or a bad shoot.

By the way, if your defense at trial is "the gun just went off" that's not a defense of self-defense, rather, it is the defense of accident.

I would think that other than the general safety concerns with carrying 24/7 a gun with a light trigger (which are almost moot if holstered correctly), if a situation warrants lethal force, it shouldnt matter what you use. It not like you had any less right to defend yourself simply because your sear was nice and polished. IANAL, though, and have heard crazier things than this that were true.

My question is this. Is it a good idea to get a trigger job done on
your CCW?

If it makes it easier to shoot your gun well, then I would do
it, provided you don't compromise reliability or safety in the
process.

I'm thinking that by doing this you are reducing the state mandated trigger pull amount.

There is no such thing- these regulations only pertain to sales
of handguns, not possession and use.. If they did otherwise,
people could be arrested for owning "non compliant" handguns, and
that certainly is not the case.

Not a bad thing in my book, but I'm wondering if it would count against you if you had to use your CCW and actually shot someone. This twisted state may try to show that is motive that you were the aggressor and/or that you broke the law by modifying your handgun.

-There is no law against modifying your handgun's trigger.

-I've never heard of a "lawful self defense" case where it was a
real issue. It -might- be an issue on the civil side (eg, civil
suit, where nearly anything stupid is possible) but with good
representation you should b e able to show that it indeed was
not an "accident" but it occurred as a result of lawfully defending
yourself with deadly force.

IMO the circumstances surrounding the event are far more
important- eg, what the BG did to you, and what you did in
response, and what you did around and up to the "event" in
question.

For a bit of backstory on this Ayoobism, I think you can find
some stuff from Ayoob on findarticles.com or whatever, or by
googling a bit. I will say he -does- have some interesting points
on the matter, but IMO the trigger pull thing is too much of a
severe corner case for me to lose sleep over.

-Mike

The weight of one's trigger pull has very little to do with the determination of whether it was a good shoot or a bad shoot.

By the way, if your defense at trial is "the gun just went off" that's not a defense of self-defense, rather, it is the defense of accident.

+1 Darius... you said what I wanted to say in less words. [laugh]

-Mike

I had the trigger done on my M&P9. It is still a long trigger pull which I think has a safety and intentionality (if that is a word) effect.

Trigger Job

Many of the gun magazines I read say not to have a trigger set to light for your CCW. According to the articles I have read; If you shoot and kill a criminal and charges are brought against you, it is easier for the prosecutors to convict you of manslaughter expressing that you may have accidentally shot the criminal as a result of a light trigger pull. I am not a lawyer and I have no idea if this is true in any way.
It definetly would come into play if it was a accidental shooting. Ayoob advises against it. He has the NY trigger installed on his carry Glocks.

It definetly would come into play if it was a accidental shooting. Ayoob advises against it. He has the NY trigger installed on his carry Glocks.

There's an easy way to avoid that- simply never point a gun at
anyone that you wouldn't be justified in shooting.

What's that Cooper rule... "Never cover anything with the muzzle
that you are not willing to destroy."

If you were not legally justified in shooting the guy, chances are
your justification for drawing the pistol was not legal, either. I'm
pretty sure that in MA, even the act of pointing a loaded gun at
someone is "assault with a deadly weapon", so if you do so in
error, you probably will be charged with at least that.

If you've ever thought about drawing on someone that likely
was not a big enough threat to justify shooting them, then you
probably should be thinking about an intermediate force option (eg, something like OC) or some other method.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom