• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is it legal to store firearms not in my house?

Long story short, we just had a kid and my wife wants my firearms out of the house. It's annoying, and I know y'all are going to say that it's time to trade in my wife, but really this is the only place we don't see eye to eye, so I'm trying to respect her wishes. She's always been super supportive of me in just about every way, but she's taking the hard line when it comes to guns in the house and a kid. Basically she said look, the second he's out of high school you can bring it all back and more, but while he's here I don't feel comfortable. It is what it is, so I'm trying to come up with a solve.

I rent a locked garage space from my neighbor literally 3 houses up and could easily move my safe up there. I'm curious though, I pay for that space month to month and do not have any type of lease. Would storing them there be kosher from a legal perspective and would I be under any obligation to inform the owner? Curious to get everyone's thoughts.

Thanks.

If you want to make a point with the Mrs. .... Maybe you should go through the house tonight with a trash barrel and start throwing out anything and everything that could be dangerous. Matches, knives small things that can fit in a kids mouth(like jewelery). Unplug everything and tape up the outlets. Put a guard rail around the stove. You get the picture

Long story short, we just had a kid and my wife wants my firearms out of the house. It's annoying, and I know y'all are going to say that it's time to trade in my wife, but really this is the only place we don't see eye to eye, so I'm trying to respect her wishes. She's always been super supportive of me in just about every way, but she's taking the hard line when it comes to guns in the house and a kid. Basically she said look, the second he's out of high school you can bring it all back and more, but while he's here I don't feel comfortable. It is what it is, so I'm trying to come up with a solve.

I rent a locked garage space from my neighbor literally 3 houses up and could easily move my safe up there. I'm curious though, I pay for that space month to month and do not have any type of lease. Would storing them there be kosher from a legal perspective and would I be under any obligation to inform the owner? Curious to get everyone's thoughts.

Thanks.
Sounds like short story long.

Postpartum isn’t the best time for rationale discussions. Suggest a review of your security procedures so the newborn/future toddler/snooping kid won’t be able to access the firearms. Outside the home storage with a close relative in a safe you control may be a compromise if she won’t budge

Postpartum isn’t the best time for rationale discussions. Suggest a review of your security procedures so the newborn/future toddler/snooping kid won’t be able to access the firearms. Outside the home storage with a close relative in a safe you control may be a compromise if she won’t budge
Got it. Thanks.

You’re both stupid. Would be safest to keep the safe at home unless she’s worried about a kid cutting through steel. Maybe add a camera recording anyone near it to make her feel better.

No agreement of any kind for the garage space means you’re fcked if anything bad happens. Worst case scenario is something illegal happens and gets pinned on you. Need to draw a line somewhere with ultimatums or there’s no end.

Thanks.

I used to watch those "reality" shows where people bid on abandoned storage units. "Ahhh yup!" The owner dies, moved away, forgot about the unit, lost their job, whyever.

Once in a while, the locker would contain a gun. usually crap but some nice stuff once in a blue moon.

Probably better off burying it in the backyard. (don't really)

A real safe (as opposed to a school locker with a masterlock) will be completely secure. Tell her *I* said so.

Thanks.
All these years, before you had the baby, was anyone able to go into your safe?

Did your guns magically open the safe, loaded themselves and placed themselves where a kid could get them?

Her argument is nonsense. Literally you carrying a gun is more dangerous than a locked container because you are a human and can f*ck up, like placing the gun on a table and forgetting.

Let me guess, she also won't let you CCW?

These are the type of things you have to discuss BEFORE having kids. Now your only option is to convince her the safe is SAFE. Man up and say "NO".

I have seen this before with a friend, 5-6 years later he still can't get his guns.

Last edited:
We need to be of service to one and other. I will offer to store the op’s firearms anonymously for a very reasonable fee. I’ll bring them back as he finds the need for them. I promise

If you want to make a point with the Mrs. .... Maybe you should go through the house tonight with a trash barrel and start throwing out anything and everything that could be dangerous. Matches, knives small things that can fit in a kids mouth(like jewelery). Unplug everything and tape up the outlets. Put a guard rail around the stove. You get the picture
All her make up, all her hair sprays, all the cleaning supplies, her 17 different shampoo and conditioners, hair iron...

These are all things usually not locked that will cause harm to a child.

Back
Top Bottom