Is the pre-new-AWB fever justified?

He did not specify "$500 items;" I did. Clinotus was discussing those "stocking up" in anticipation of more abuses of our rights under Obama. Since the title of the thread has NOTHING to do with "cheap Stevens single barrel 12 gauge shotguns at tag sales" or similar dreck, but rather guns which would be outlawed under a new "AWB" per the thread's title, it necessarily follows that such firearms are those under discussion. And $500 is a reasonable (even low) price for such firearms, as well you know.

Let's follow Clinotus' analysis, which you apparently endorse, to its inevitable conclusion:

Because some people may get bored with their guns and some of them may choose to sell them at "yard sales," from which they will end up "on the street," we must act pro-actively to protect society from such potential abuse.

Ergo, we must OUTLAW the civilian ownership of firearms.

Good work, guys.....

Last edited:
I have no idea where this is going.

Scriv, I think you are hedging on my choice of wording "excess guns on the streets" which meant marketplace. Not the latter, although I did use the latter later in my letter. But yeah, you are going in the wrong direction here.

Untwist your thong Mouthpiece. That's not where he was going, and neither was I.

Take off your blinders, READ what he said and apply simple logic.

You are looking at this I fear from the mindset of our state and not in the overall viewpoint that in many other areas of the nation, you need only a drivers license and some cash to pick up an item that you really have had no training for, no real desire for, no real means of safe storage and once no probable ban hits..gets regulated to a closet somewhere or given away because the wife simply wants it out of the house.

So you can argue with me on a Mass Law level, for which I will not argue with you, or you can look at simple human nature and take it from there. Your call.

I made that call. I applied his terms to the logical "solution" that will be arrived at.

It's called "unintended consequences." And it is a very hard lesson at times.

Because some people may get bored with their guns and some of them may choose to sell them at "yard sales," from which they will end up "on the street," we must act pro-actively to protect society from such potential abuse.

Ergo, we must OUTLAW the civilian ownership of firearms.

I was thinking more along the lines of doing things to keep them interested over the long haul or promote good practices and better understanding of the law while they are interested so if they do lose interest, they are more likely to dispose of the firearm in a more responsible manner. Either logical conclusion is valid as I am sure there are others.

Involvement and training are, I believe, the keys to the outcome you desire. Hence the annual new shooter training program that the USPSA shooters at Hopkinton run. GOAL's programs and the NES member shoots serve a similar Good Purpose.

Take off your blinders, READ what he said and apply simple logic.

Yup. Done.

Scriv, I think you are hedging on my choice of wording "excess guns on the streets" which meant marketplace. Not the latter, although I did use the latter later in my letter. But yeah, you are going in the wrong direction here.

You whiffed. "Regular" people that buy them in a panic might undervalue them. OK? Do you really think, based on 8000 or so combined posts that we're advocating a gun ban? Or are you just looking for trouble? Jesus, go find a newbie to pick on.

Last edited:
I'd wager that most of these gun buyers are probably people like us, more or less. I doubt "joe six pack knows nothing about guns" is buying his first AK ever, just because of obama being elected. I'd also place a fair wager if you went to most of these stores where "panic buying" was occurring, most of the buyers probably already own at least one firearm. New buyers? Sure, but I really doubt that the growth rate in that category is as great as it was when something like Katrina or 9/11 occurred. In those cases perceived need drives acquisition; in the case of Obama, the only people likely to perceive need as an outcome of that event are existing gun owners. (who have some awareness of gun politics/policy, or have already experienced what it is like to be at the bad end of a ban. )

-Mike

You whiffed.

Your opinion.

Mine is that claiming the phrase "on the street" now magically means "the marketplace" is a desperate rationalization of an ill-conceived thought.

Do you really think, based on 8000 or so combined posts that we're advocating a gun ban?
NO; I think that the logical outcome of what was posted would easily lead to that conclusion.

Or are you just looking for trouble? Jesus, go find a newbie to pick on.

Take a step back - and a deep breath - and try applying an objective analysis. However unpleasant you find the results.

Your opinion.

Mine is that claiming the phrase "on the street" now magically means "the marketplace" is a desperate rationalization of an ill-conceived thought.

There is no magic to the clarification of what I thought must have been the wording that threw you into rage; so I corrected it for your rose glasses. Reading it once and again means the same, its semantics to be honest. The paragraph stands as it was stated.

You are far off base and way off reality here on this one. And arguing it with you to cater into some fantasy on further restrictions, regulations or whatever other trifling argument you require to make a point is simply ridiculous. I said what I said, it stands and we can move on or you can twist these words to a full out endorsement of the Brady ideals.

I've tried to avoid the hype. I am relatively new to this sport and have a modest collection. I own a couple of handguns (ruger MkIII and M&P9) and some rifles (2 ruger 10/22's, Mosin Nagant 91/30, WASR-10, and a stripped NES lower). I made a list guns that I think I think I should add to my collection (.357/.38 special 4" revolver, J-frame revolver, HD pump action shotgun, an M&P compact, an SKS, and an AR15 build. Based on the most likely changes ahead I've decided to focus my attention and funds towards building up my NES lower, purchasing preban AR15 and AK47 mags and picking an SKS. The rest will follow along with stocking up on ammo as funds permit.

Just checking because I think it nuts. Sure, I too purchased a few new lowers and kits for rifles that weren't, prior to his Obama's ascension, high on my list. But I think it will peter out and the market will return to normal in a few weeks. We all know nothing is happening until the spring at the earliest and there's plenty of production happening between now and then. You can bet manufacturers are producing, subject to their constraints, what they can. Besides, soon the Holiday's will take our available cash and the domestic ne worldwide recession will overpower the fear-driven purchasing we see today. This will last until he takes office or slightly longer if he fails to mention firearms or focuses instead on something more productive. However, the moment it's back on the table and moving forward we'll see this all over again...

I think of the recent surge this way... It gives me an excuse to buy guns a bit earlier than i wanted to and not have my significant other rip my head off.. Her: "We are supposed to be saving for a house" Me: "Yes dear, but they are not going to ban house buying so we must get our big guns now". hense a new AK last friday.. [smile]

I just bought one of these. [smile]

But with a A2 stock not a collapsible stock as shown in the pic.

Will provide pics after my 10 day wait is over. [crying]

1.2%20home%20page%20display%20rezized%20Picture%20072.jpg800x800.jpg

Conjecture? Coming from someone with less credentials than yours, I would have classified your post as coming from a cretin or a troll.

Given what is required to acquire the necessary LTC - which procedure you are well acquainted with - your assertion that guns will then be purchased by those who "really know nothing about or really care about" them does not merely strain credulity; it insults it.

And our intelligence.

Let us review the full import of your premise:

1. Person spends $100+ to acquire the safety certificate;

2. Spends ANOTHER $100 to file the application;

3. Spends still ANOTHER $400-650 simply to purchase a basic, but quality, handgun (after waiting X number of weeks to get the license, IF it was issued);

4. Yet, somehow gets so bored - and profligate - that said owner's barely-used, ANIB gun will "eventually wind up in garages, tag sales" with the old Barbie dolls, blenders and outgrown clothes to be sold at a pittance to anyone with the small sum of cash needed. [rolleyes]

Let us assume, for the sake of argument - or amusement - that your implausible premise actually has merit. Given your knowledge of Massachusetts' gun laws and social climate, how long do you think such a yard sale would continue before Suzy Soccer Mom dropped her chai latte, whipped out her cell phone and called the cops, BATFE and Suzan Wornick?

Maybe Half Cocked was right and some people here have prematurely availed themselves of Question #2's enactment.

This may be the best post ever offered by Scrivener. I agree 100%.

The "garage" or "tag" sale items that end up "on the streets" are far more likely to be from an inheritor of the firearm. No sane recently licensed individual would (illegally) transfer a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun in such a manner. I see a widow looking to get rid of her late husband's old junk as a greater problem than the man or woman who follows proper procedure, is duly licensed, and obtains a firearm for any legal reason.

Chris

[snip]
Given what is required to acquire the necessary LTC - which procedure you are well acquainted with - your assertion that guns will then be purchased by those who "really know nothing about or really care about" them does not merely strain credulity; it insults it.

And our intelligence.

Let us review the full import of your premise:

1. Person spends $100+ to acquire the safety certificate;

2. Spends ANOTHER $100 to file the application;

3. Spends still ANOTHER $400-650 simply to purchase a basic, but quality, handgun (after waiting X number of weeks to get the license, IF it was issued);

4. Yet, somehow gets so bored - and profligate - that said owner's barely-used, ANIB gun will "eventually wind up in garages, tag sales" with the old Barbie dolls, blenders and outgrown clothes to be sold at a pittance to anyone with the small sum of cash needed. [rolleyes]

AMEN

I have a very hard time believing that anyone willing to go through the bureaucratic nightmare I am currently enduring merely to have the same rights I enjoyed no-questions-asked at my last residence is going to sell their M1A1 for $100 at a yard sale.

This may be the best post ever offered by Scrivener. I agree 100%.

The "garage" or "tag" sale items that end up "on the streets" are far more likely to be from an inheritor of the firearm. No sane recently licensed individual would (illegally) transfer a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun in such a manner. I see a widow looking to get rid of her late husband's old junk as a greater problem than the man or woman who follows proper procedure, is duly licensed, and obtains a firearm for any legal reason.

Chris

There are 49 other states, most without the type of regs we have here.

Checked out the laws of Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Maryland and California lately?

most (mst)
adj. Superlative of many, much.
a. Greatest in number: won the most votes.
b. Greatest in amount, extent, or degree: has the most compassion.
2. In the greatest number of instances: Most fish have fins.
n.
1. The greatest amount or degree: She has the most to gain.
2. Slang The greatest, best, or most exciting. Used with the: That party was the most!
pron.
(used with a sing. or pl. verb) The greatest part or number: Most of the town was destroyed. Most of the books were missing.
adv. Superlative of much.
1. In or to the highest degree or extent. Used with many adjectives and adverbs to form the superlative degree: most honest; most impatiently.
2. Very: a most impressive piece of writing.
3. Informal Almost: Most everyone agrees.
Idiom:
at (the) most
At the maximum: We saw him for ten minutes at the most. She ran two miles at most.

Back
Top Bottom