• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is the SW1911 9mm pro series worth the $$$

I like mine. It's been trouble free, zero issues with it and very accurate. I can't speak of the other brands mentioned but if they fare much better then the pro-series, then they must be truly phenomenal. I do like the grips that came with it so I'm keeping those on. Normally (all but 3), I'll change out factory grips. I didn't pay cash for mine. Instead, I swapped out some of my .22 ammunition for it. Mine is the model with the adjustable sights so it's a bit higher price wise over the other.

It does have the oversize extractor, a contoured upper slide to help with weight reduction and many of the parts come out of the pro shop but it's assembled on the regular line (hence pro-series). I did get a few Tripps magazines for it with the upward tilt follower as extras though the factory pair work quite well. I also like the single stack grip. I fits my hand better then a double. Lastly, modern 9mm's aren't exactly a slouch by way of being regulated to just range toys. They do fall in between 38 specials and 357's. Admittedly, there are always better choices (no matter what you select), but the way this model handles with such a mild recoil and it's accuracy, I wouldn't feel an underdog with it beyond the range.

Obligatory image to view the extractors and contoured upper vs. standard Smith 45:

One other thing.

The 1911 slide is a big and heavy thing. A 9mm barrel is also heavier than even a .45 acp barrel. (same OD, smaller ID)

In order to allow it to run properly with the less powerful 9mm round, a lighter recoil spring must be used in 9mm 1911s.

This results in a slide that runs more slowly than a .45 ACP gun. It doesn't bother me, but it does bother some people.
In that case a lightened slide is the answer. STI is the only main stream manufacturer that uses a lightened slide in some of their 9mm 1911s.

Maybe some STi experts can expand on this. Their lightned slides are "tri topped". Google it and you will see.

Don

One other thing.

The 1911 slide is a big and heavy thing. A 9mm barrel is also heavier than even a .45 acp barrel. (same OD, smaller ID)

In order to allow it to run properly with the less powerful 9mm round, a lighter recoil spring must be used in 9mm 1911s.

This results in a slide that runs more slowly than a .45 ACP gun. It doesn't bother me, but it does bother some people.
In that case a lightened slide is the answer. STI is the only main stream manufacturer that uses a lightened slide in some of their 9mm 1911s.

Maybe some STi experts can expand on this. Their lightned slides are "tri topped". Google it and you will see.

Don

See my above with the contoured slide bit.

One other thing.

Don

You can also radius the firing pin stop and go lighter on the mainspring before cutting into the slide. With a 9lbs recoil spring, my spartan slide cycles well with out any cuts.

Thanks. For some reason I didn't put that together.

Your welcome. As I said, I can't speak for or against the other brands as I've not fired them but this model is a very well thought out pistol (for a change) and is extremely well made without actually going custom. The action speed is as it's counterpart that I've displayed. If it's worth the price point vs those mentioned, I couldn't tell you as once again, I've not fired them. What I can say is I'm pleased with it and some of those mentioning the STI's and Dan Wessons may also be taken back a bit, at least with the one I have.

You can also radius the firing pin stop and go lighter on the mainspring before cutting into the slide. With a 9lbs recoil spring, my spartan slide cycles well with out any cuts.

I don't doubt that. But it still cycles slower than something with a heavier mainspring. The radiused firing pin stop makes it easier for the slide to move back.

But it doesn't affect the lazy way it moves forward. F=MA
Reduce the F an the A goes down proportionally.

I'm not fast enough for it to matter. But I can definitely feel a difference in the slide speed.

Don

I can't comment on the others, but I have a Dan Wesson Pointman 9 and am very very happy with it.

It is extremely accurate and has a better trigger than any Wilson, Nighthawk, or Les Baer I've owned.

If the OP can make it to Woburn, I'd be happy to let him try it.

Regardless of what gun you end up with, there is only one mag to use with it in my humble opinion. Thats the Dawson Precision 10 round mag.

Don

p.s. Here's mine with a set of Les Baer hand cut wood grips. I prefer magwell style grips that don't have the beveled base or cutout for the mainspring housing pin.

Here it is with the stock grips wit the horrible pressed in "checkering". Thats a Dawson Precision 10 round mag sticking out the bottom. I'm left handed so it went back to the CZ Custom shop shortly after this picture for an ambi safety.

Damn that's a beauty! So does the PM9 work with Wilson Combat ETM mags or Tripp mags? They just stick out a bit compared to the 9 round mags? The WC mags work great in my pro series.

I wouldn't mind getting a PM9 but I'd probably have to sell off my pro series 9mm 1911. I didn't realize the PM9 is about the same price as a S&W pro series 9mm.

Last edited:
I havent tried the Tripp.

But I have owned Wilson and don't like them. They function fine, but are a bit shorter and are difficult to load with the 10th round. They are also difficult to get to insert fully on a closed slide.

Finally, the Dawsons come with that cool base plate that prevents the mag from being overinserted. Notice how the front of the base contacts the front of the grip.

Don

I havent tried the Tripp.

But I have owned Wilson and don't like them. They function fine, but are a bit shorter and are difficult to load with the 10th round. They are also difficult to get to insert fully on a closed slide.

Finally, the Dawsons come with that cool base plate that prevents the mag from being overinserted. Notice how the front of the base contacts the front of the grip.

Don

Good to know. Ya it looks like those Dawson mags would be easy to remove and insert especially in IDPA/USPSA shooting since you have a large surface area to grab.

I'm definitely putting the PM9 on my gun purchase radar. The S&W pro series would have to go though...

They are.

I've only shot a Glock in IDPA. In SSP.

I've not shot 1911s in IDPA. So I don't know, for example if it needs to be able to fit in the box with the mag in it.
Or even if extended mags are allowed provided they don't exceed 10 rounds.

I'm sure someone here can answer that.

Don

They are. I've only shot a Glock in IDPA. In SSP. I've not shot 1911s in IDPA. So I don't know, for example if it needs to be able to fit in the box with the mag in it. Or even if extended mags are allowed provided they don't exceed 10 rounds. I'm sure someone here can answer that. Don
45 acp 1911s are usually shot in cdp. 9mm 1911s would be in Esp. Yes, they must fit in the box with the mag in place. If you are going to shoot a 9mm 1911 in esp, get a double stack STI. The reloads will be faster than a single stack, even one with a mag well.

They are.

I've only shot a Glock in IDPA. In SSP.

I've not shot 1911s in IDPA. So I don't know, for example if it needs to be able to fit in the box with the mag in it.
Or even if extended mags are allowed provided they don't exceed 10 rounds.

I'm sure someone here can answer that.

Don

Gotcha. Thanks.

45 acp 1911s are usually shot in cdp. 9mm 1911s would be in Esp. Yes, they must fit in the box with the mag in place. If you are going to shoot a 9mm 1911 in esp, get a double stack STI. The reloads will be faster than a single stack, even one with a mag well.

Haven't looked at the STI's much before as I always assumed they were all $2k plus guns. But it looks like the STI Trojan's can be had for close to the DW PM9? Which STI's are double stack?

Last edited:
I'll be trying IDPA for the first time on Saturday at WSA so I think I need to do more shooting before I decide to sell off my S&W pro series to buy a DW or STI. I would imagine that some STI's aren't legal for IDPA. I don't have any plans in the near future to shoot USPSA either.

The STi Edge in 9mm is a sweet shooter. I think they are right around $2000.

If anyone has an interest, I have a Brazos custom Limited gun I picked up used.
The only down side is its in .40. If it was a 9. I'd keep it.

Ohh okay. Forgive my ignorance with the STI pistols lol. When M1911 said a "double stack 1911" I just looked under the 1911 list on STI's page - not the 2011s. So a 2011 is a double stack 1911 - got it. Thanks!

That's my bad. I should have just said 2011.

Double-stack 1911s have a much wider magazine well, plus the top of the magazine is tapered. As a result, it is easier to do a fast reload with one of those, than with a single-stack 1911. Single stack 1911s you really have to get the mag aligned properly with the mag well. You can add a wider magwell to a single stack 1911 (I've got a Dawson ICE on mine) and it does help somewhat. But it is still slower for me. If I practiced my reloads more it wouldn't be as much of an issue...

- - - Updated - - -

Why would you prefer the 9? Use 9mm Major in USPSA Limited?

I'll be trying IDPA for the first time on Saturday at WSA so I think I need to do more shooting before I decide to sell off my S&W pro series to buy a DW or STI. I would imagine that some STI's aren't legal for IDPA. I don't have any plans in the near future to shoot USPSA either.

Yes, many of them aren't legal for IDPA. You would probably have to go with the Eagle 5". This is double-stack, but has a bushing barrel and does not have a full length dust cover.

But before you spend $2k on a gun for IDPA, spend some time in IDPA and decide whether it is really the game you want to play.

You should just download 40, it will shoot softer than 9

Ah, gotcha.

I was thinking that a .40 Brazos custom Limited gun loaded to major would be a pretty good Limited gun.

It is an awesome gun in 40 for uspsa limited and if you down load 40 you can have a soft shooter for steel and 3gun

Once when I cracked a guide plug on my open gun, I finished the match with a friends Brazos 40 2011. Probably the 2nd best limited gun that I have shot. The front sight just snapped back right to POA, it made shooting very easy, I think it is only out done by my cheely gun and only because of the grip

Last edited:
I agree with everything both of you have posted for the last few posts.

My situation is this:
1) with young kids, I don't have as much time to reload and shoot as I used to.
2) so I'm trying to limit myself to 9mm and .45 with reloading.
3) I'm also not shooting USPSA much.
4) Most of my matches are little local club matches, where if it doesn't have an optic or a compensator, it falls into "stock" category regardless of caliber.
5) For most of these matches, I use my G35 with a KKM 9mm barrel and a 9mm recoil spring with my 147 gr cheater loads. (Its a couple of ounces heavier than my G34 with all of it right on the nose.

So the sad thing is that I don't have much use for a very nice USPSA limited gun like the Brazos. I spoke to Bob Londrigan about building a 9mm upper for me and it would cost almost as much as just buying a super tuned Edge from him.

Every once in a while, I take it out, marvel at the trigger and put it away.
It deserves to be shot. Hard.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

Supermoto, what weight bullet do you use in .40? Whats your target muzzle velocity?
Damn you. Now you've got me thinking that I should just suck it up and load some .40. I've already got the shell plate and dies for my Dillon.

Don

Yes, many of them aren't legal for IDPA. You would probably have to go with the Eagle 5". This is double-stack, but has a bushing barrel and does not have a full length dust cover.

But before you spend $2k on a gun for IDPA, spend some time in IDPA and decide whether it is really the game you want to play.

Yeah exactly. I need to actual shoot IDPA a few times before I see how I like it. Also see how I do with my CZ-75b in ESP or SSP.

I can't imagine I wouldn't enjoy IDPA as it beats shooting stationary at my local club every weekend lol. But we shall see.

Last edited:
Supermoto, what weight bullet do you use in .40? Whats your target muzzle velocity?
Damn you. Now you've got me thinking that I should just suck it up and load some .40. I've already got the shell plate and dies for my Dillon.

Don

I shoot around 172 pf with a 180 ibejihead. I find them to be very accurate. I usually use 7625 since I have so much of it, but prefer titegroup. If I want to load minor, I just throw a 140gr ibejihead bullet on the same load

Back
Top Bottom