Is this a good enough reason to get a .45 GAP?

Well... not in a Webley.

Factory .45ACP produces pressures similar to the .455 Webley proof shot. It's a bad idea to keep on running such ammo through your scarce 110-year-old gat. To own a Webley is to reload for that Webley, pretty much, whether the cylinder is shaved or not. .455 factory ammo is very rare at all times.

The rest of your post is spot-on. I too think the OP is being unreasonably obtuse with almost all his ideas, but he's dead set on .45GYAT. So that's what he's going to get. Far be it from me to dissuade anybody.

So long as he shoots safely and doesn't ruin a fine Webley specimen!

I started thinking of 45 in general when I typed that.

I started thinking of 45 in general when I typed that.

It's a little scary; I've got a bunch of .455 top-breaks and only two of them are still in the original caliber. The rest were shaved for .45 ACP/.45 Auto Rim, or rebated for .45LC. I think of all the prior owners who've probably put a bunch of full-boat ACP through those tender little cylinders, plinking on camping trips in the '50s or '60s, and never even thought twice about it. Who knows how weak some of these guns might be now?

Most people I know who own Webleys choose to download, to be on the safe side. That goes triple for the Marks 1-4, which were not designed for smokeless powder (though the Mk 4 did have much stronger metallurgy). The thought of anybody slamming a .45ACP round through an 1896 Webley Mk II proofed for black powder makes me shudder, but people probably did it all the time until the internet told them to stop in the late '90s. That's a testament to how well these things were engineered and crafted.

in that case...[ACP] loads using a lead bullet are Webley food, [ACP] loads using plated Berry's would be for [anything else]

I fail to see the benefit
When I use .45 ACP with a lead bullet that usually means for the Redhawk and I load those to .45 Super levels. Definitely not something I'd want to put in a Webley.

When I use .45 ACP with a lead bullet that usually means for the Redhawk and I load those to .45 Super levels. Definitely not something I'd want to put in a Webley.

Lol. You've got an answer for everyone's suggestions. That's awesome.

They make these things now called "boxes," and other things called "sharpies," and some people use those sharpies to label the boxes with the type of ammo they store in them. Sometimes, they even write the kind of gun right there on the box! It's pretty zany.

Make sure you post pics of your Glock when you buy it! [thumbsup]

Lol. You've got an answer for everyone's suggestions. That's awesome.

They make these things now called "boxes," and other things called "sharpies," and some people use those sharpies to label the boxes with the type of ammo they store in them. Sometimes, they even write the kind of gun right there on the box! It's pretty zany.

Make sure you post pics of your Glock when you buy it! [thumbsup]
I mean, everyone I ask says don't bother with the Glock in GAP. Understandable, the only thing it offers is .45 in a 9mm sized polymer pistol.

The substitution of GAP cases for use in a Webley keeps being shot down without any real reason. What makes the .45 ACP SPP that much better of a choice?

If taking notes isn't your speed, maybe polymer bullets for the Webley?

What makes the .45 ACP SPP that much better of a choice?
Other than nearly infinite brass?

Other than nearly infinite brass?
If I get it for free, otherwise if I'm buying it what's the difference?

I'm very early in this, for all I know it could be that ACP shoots better than GAP in the Webley, could also end up being that GAP shoots better than the ACP.

Tell y'all what, I'll have to try both when the time comes. If the GAP shoots like shit, then no point in continuing with it or a Glock GAP. If it shoots damn good and better, I'll re-evaluate things.

If I get it for free, otherwise if I'm buying it what's the difference?

I'm very early in this, for all I know it could be that ACP shoots better than GAP in the Webley, could also end up being that GAP shoots better than the ACP.

Tell y'all what, I'll have to try both when the time comes. If the GAP shoots like shit, then no point in continuing with it or a Glock GAP. If it shoots damn good and better, I'll re-evaluate things.

Mine tend to like Auto Rim best of all. It might possibly have something to do with the clips I use? Oddly, the few times I've put genuine milsurp .455 through my MkVI or my Orbea Hermanos, they don't really shoot all that well vs a handload with mouse-fart propellant.

It doesn't really matter, though. These were made for one-handed snap shooting from the hip using a slow, heavy bullet against tribesmen with spears. They are not made for precision pistol shooting. Webley made better guns for that, like their WG model.

FWIW, my Mk IV shoots the best out of all my Webleys. That MFer was made around 1899/1900.

It's not going to.

The difference is going to be noise at best.

I bought a Springfield xd 45 gap around 2005 (cause they had not come out with a 45 ACP at that point).

When purchasing ammo for it, the gun store clerk warned me that it was a dying cartridge and any firearm for it was destined to the same fate.

I arrogantly laughed at him and proudly boasted "no way bro!"

Last edited:
Just get a top break H&R 22 revolver- they're ~$50.
[laugh]

Not completely kidding- it's a cheap way to find out if you really like top breaks.

Just get a top break H&R 22 revolver- they're ~$50.
[laugh]

Not completely kidding- it's a cheap way to find out if you really like top breaks.

I've had a bunch of different kinds; Webley's stirrup latch is by far the best design.

Honestly, if I was tempted to carry a massive-caliber revolver EDC, I could do worse than a Webley. If they're cut for clips, the reload is faster than any other revolver: they auto-eject reliably, then the whole cylinder face is wide open to jam a clip into. Easy-peasy. I've carried my Mk V literally just to say I've done it, and I would have been happy to use it to defend myself. For my ergonomics, no other revolver points so naturally and the sights are excellent.

I bought a Springfield xd 45 gap around 2005.

When purchasing ammo for it, the gun store clerk warned me that it was a dying cartridge and any firearm for it was destined to the same fate.

I arrogantly laughed at him and proudly boasted "no way bro!".
NES feels the same way about .40. They must be related.

Mine tend to like Auto Rim best of all. It might possibly have something to do with the clips I use? Oddly, the few times I've put genuine milsurp .455 through my MkVI or my Orbea Hermanos, they don't really shoot all that well vs a handload with mouse-fart propellant.

It doesn't really matter, though. These were made for one-handed snap shooting from the hip using a slow, heavy bullet against tribesmen with spears. They are not made for precision pistol shooting. Webley made better guns for that, like their WG model.

FWIW, my Mk IV shoots the best out of all my Webleys. That MFer was made around 1899/1900.
Before I had my small primer schizo attack, I was figuring on using Auto Rim to not have to fuss with clips, but they're large primer only. If there ever comes a day large primers are the same price as small, I'd rather use Auto Rim as I could trim those to an ideal length for mouse fart Webley downloads.

Actually, that's something Taurus should do is make their own cartridge called the TAP. Maybe get Mauricuo "Shogun" Rua to be the spokesman for it under the Taurus TAPout campaign.

I'm a big fan of 45acp but not 45 Gap. I think that in this case though, your logic is sound. I think the 45acp can be too hot to shoot out of a shaved Webley. An unshaved Webley is huge money and may be from the black powder era. Primer size can be an issue in both 45acp and 455 Webley. Both come in large and small. I'm guessing a Glock in 45 Gap would be less expensive than any other caliber since few people would want one. Check the availability of brass and dies before you decide.

I'm a big fan of 45acp but not 45 Gap. I think that in this case though, your logic is sound. I think the 45acp can be too hot to shoot out of a shaved Webley. An unshaved Webley is huge money and may be from the black powder era. Primer size can be an issue in both 45acp and 455 Webley. Both come in large and small. I'm guessing a Glock in 45 Gap would be less expensive than any other caliber since few people would want one. Check the availability of brass and dies before you decide.

He's not talking about shooting factory .45 GAP. That would be disastrous; GAP's pressures are even higher than ACP's, and you're right that ACP is WAY too hot to shoot from a Webley.

He just wants to use the brass. He seems to be completely disregarding the odds of finding an unshaved Webley, which is probably the right way for a non-collector to be thinking.

Another possibility is to use 45 auto rim only for Webley reloads. It's what I use for an old S&W 1917. Brass may be difficult to find but it uses the same dies.

He's not talking about shooting factory .45 GAP. That would be disastrous; GAP's pressures are even higher than ACP's, and you're right that ACP is WAY too hot to shoot from a Webley.

He just wants to use the brass. He seems to be completely disregarding the odds of finding an unshaved Webley, which is probably the right way for a non-collector to be thinking.
Yeah, even the ones listed online as "unshaved" usually are shaved. My goal is find one in the best most functional and safe condition one at the lowest price.

I'm guessing a Glock in 45 Gap would be less expensive than any other caliber since few people would want one. Check the availability of brass and dies before you decide.
They're about the same price used as used Glock .40s are. I wouldn't ever buy a new one, no point as no .45 GAP has ever been shot much.

The advantage of 45 is you can also easily find it factory loaded, for those times you don't feel like reloading.
The times when I don't feel like reloading means I'm shooting .22, 9, or 40 and is the reason why I finally bought an LCR .22 last year and two 9mm revolvers the past month.

Only things I wish I could shoot more are my .32 Autos and percussion revolvers.

Use the sharpie to write "W" on the bullet after you load it.

The substitution of GAP cases for use in a Webley keeps being shot down without any real reason.
I don't quite understand why you want to add another caliber for reloading. Seems like a bigger pain in the neck than just using SP .45acp brass and a sharpie.

NES feels the same way about .40. They must be related.
.40 is even dumber than .45gap [troll]

In this application, the only down side I see in using GAP is brass availability. If you can find some, it will probably last for years cause the pressure will be low and you're unlikely to lose it shooting it out of a revolver.

Back
Top Bottom