• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

is thompson/center still still a viable company under s&w?

greencobra

NES Member
i've tried to contact them looking for a rear sight for a contender barrel in need through the link in the s&w web site. I never get a reply. not even a canned receipt. i finally turned to gunbroker for the part. i'm thinking aloud here but there's got to be hundreds of thousands of t/c firearms out there. is that silence telling all of them if they are in need of factory servicing to look elsewhere?

It’s been a few years but I called them directly about my omega and had parts shipped the same day free of charge.
No idea what their deal is now.

no, 2 different companies. t/c makes black powder firearms and the contender, a single shot, interchangeable barrel pistol. smith bought them several years ago.
I thought theu stopped making the contender.
Or is that the Encore?

F*ckingn companies and product names, I always get confused. They are basically the same.

OP, S&W s*cks a**. So I would expect them to ruin TC. They will push for mediocre products, flood gun stores and try to stay alive by constantly releasing new, useless sh*t.

EDIT: quick Google says that SW is selling them. Maybe already sold them. They probably took whatever they were after and are selling the rest. I hope Kahr buys them, those dudes buy companies and start making cool sh*t.

Check out this thread from 2021:

I'm disgusted with what S&W did to T/C, but I'm glad that SSK is making new frames and barrels in the original G1 pattern.

I never got it. I ALMOST got an Encore once. Once. Glad I didn't.

Although one of the most fun afternoons at the range was me and a buddy and his 45LC/410 TC with a few boxes of 410's shooting clays. Not easy with a barely-rifled barrel donut'ing your pattern. LOL.

I never got it. I ALMOST got an Encore once. Once. Glad I didn't.

Although one of the most fun afternoons at the range was me and a buddy and his 45LC/410 TC with a few boxes of 410's shooting clays. Not easy with a barely-rifled barrel donut'ing your pattern. LOL.

The .45LC/.410 barrels are suppposed to have a screw-on choke which you attach when using shotshells to control the shot pattern.

Smith ruined TC, they are largely not supported any longer aside from a few vendors. I collect and shoot TC Contenders and a few Encores. There's resources out there for them. Hausofarms is one of the larger ones and great people to deal with, Mike Bellm @ Bellms TC's is also good. SSK is manufacturing the SSK 50 as an alternative to an OEM TC Contender frame. Word is, that they're manufactured to tighter tolerances and quite nice. All the major players in barrels are still there, MGM, Bullberry and SSK being the biggest.

Cobra, if I saw this earlier I would have sent you a rear sight, I've got a few lying around.

Thompson Center is no more. S&W killed production. They divested the brand. They did not sell it they just absorbed it into the S&W brands. Thompson Center is currently gone, firearms, parts, support and customer service. Maybe some day S&W may bring it back in some form but for now it is gone.

SSK firearms and Haus of Arms have started making their own version of a Contender, that they recently started shipping. They still have a backlog to get through.

SSK-50 FRAMES
I didn't know about SSK.

The SSK website shows $1975, but says 5 must be ordered. EABCO, which doesn't seem to be a scam, has them for $395, which is 1/5.

So, I am guessing the price on SSK is for a quantity of 5. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Thompson Center is no more. S&W killed production. They divested the brand. They did not sell it they just absorbed it into the S&W brands. Thompson Center is currently gone, firearms, parts, support and customer service. Maybe some day S&W may bring it back in some form but for now it is gone.
Call them press 4 for Thompson Center.
I had to call Smith & Wesson last week for something else. It said press 4 for Thompson Center support.
I didn't press it because I needed an operator.
Maybe it works, worth a call.

I didn't know about SSK.

The SSK website shows $1975, but says 5 must be ordered. EABCO, which doesn't seem to be a scam, has them for $395, which is 1/5.

So, I am guessing the price on SSK is for a quantity of 5. Is that correct?
Yep - if I remember their blog post correctly, the quantity 5 SKU was intended for dealers or distributors.

Haus of Arms also shows the $395 price - they were the ones who convinced SSK to do this project. I'm not sure how long it's going to take for them to get through preorders and waiting lists, but I'd guess a while. I'm on the list, but no idea where on the list. I guess I'll be over here, holding my breath until I get one.

Yep - if I remember their blog post correctly, the quantity 5 SKU was intended for dealers or distributors.

Haus of Arms also shows the $395 price - they were the ones who convinced SSK to do this project. I'm not sure how long it's going to take for them to get through preorders and waiting lists, but I'd guess a while. I'm on the list, but no idea where on the list. I guess I'll be over here, holding my breath until I get one.
I am going to pre-order one.

$395 is a really good price.

Check out this thread from 2021:

I'm disgusted with what S&W did to T/C, but I'm glad that SSK is making new frames and barrels in the original G1 pattern.
I could nevwr get used to the crunchy feel of the breech lock mechanism.

Back
Top Bottom