IWB holster 1911 disengages thumb safety?!?

Bought a new M-TAC IWB holster from CompTac for my full-size 1911 at the show in Marlboro today.

Wore it for the rest of the day with gun in condition-1... 30 minutes on the motorcycle (no problem), lounging around the house (no problem), then for a 1.5 hour round trip in the Jeep...

Noticed the hammer / beaver tail digging into my side a bit while belted into the Jeep.

Got home and drew a few times to try out retention... noticed that my thumb safety was disengaged!! (aka condition zero... yikes!)

Re-engaged safety and reinserted into holster. Pushed on the leather touching the thumb safety and could see how it might disengage the safety with the pressure and jiggling while belted in.

Any tips on how to adjust position or whatever to prevent this?

I've heard of some wetting the leather and forming it around the thumb safety so that it doesn't rub. Some guns have a similar problem with the magazine release, and it sometimes needs to have the holster leather notched around that area.

Yeah, I know it is a new holster, but can't you just cut out the part of the leather that rubs on it? I may have to do that on the Crossbreed I just bought. I will have to keep an eye on it.

Cutting it would seem like the easy fix. Although doing that to a brand new holster kind of sucks. safer obviously though.

Yeah, I know it is a new holster, but can't you just cut out the part of the leather that rubs on it? I may have to do that on the Crossbreed I just bought. I will have to keep an eye on it.

Cutting it would seem like the easy fix. Although doing that to a brand new holster kind of sucks. safer obviously though.
Could be, though who's to say my stomach wouldn't do the same thing? Let me know bow the crossbreed goes.

Woont cutting the leather away allow anything to engage/disengage the safety? I used to soak leather in hot water to shape it, worked wonders on boots.

Could be, though who's to say my stomach wouldn't do the same thing? Let me know bow the crossbreed goes.

True. I feel like I saw a thread like this a couple weeks ago, but don't hold me to that. There might be more info in there if you can find it. I am going to the range tomorrow to shoot that 1911, so I will mess with it and see if anything happens to my safety. I hope not. Good luck wiht it, hopefully you can figure out a cheap fix.

Originally Posted by RichM

I've heard of some wetting the leather and forming it around the thumb safety so that it doesn't rub. Some guns have a similar problem with the magazine release, and it sometimes needs to have the holster leather notched around that area.

Good tips, thank you!

This is what I did and was told/tried with success of after 'wetting' the holster; leave the sidearm, (in a plastic bag) in the holster and literally sleep on it with it between the mattress and box spring.

It work out very well.

Good Luck!

Woont cutting the leather away allow anything to engage/disengage the safety? I used to soak leather in hot water to shape it, worked wonders on boots.

I was thinking of like the 'combat cut' option on a crossbreed which kind of exposes that area for 'faster draw.' That's why I mentioned it. I have been known to be wrong before though. [laugh]

Last edited:
This happens with H&Ks and the M-Tac but I never heard of a 1911 doing it. The PPK and the 1911 have very hard safeties to disengage. I wonder if yours is not as difficult to disengage (like the type 1 H&Ks). Or maybe a little breaking it in can fix it.

PS: I would NOT under any circumstances cut the leather out. The resulting hole will provide ample leverage to flip off even the hardest safety.

I'm going to try the "wetting and mattress" trick. I should note that the first thing my wife said when I opened my jacket to show her the new rig (my first IWB) was "I hope you don't shoot yourself with that". I scoffed and assured her I wouldn't, but that was before the "condition-0" problem happened! [thinking]

Thanks to the several who recommended it!!

This happens with H&Ks and the M-Tac but I never heard of a 1911 doing it. The PPK and the 1911 have very hard safeties to disengage. I wonder if yours is not as difficult to disengage (like the type 1 H&Ks). Or maybe a little breaking it in can fix it.

PS: I would NOT under any circumstances cut the leather out. The resulting hole will provide ample leverage to flip off even the hardest safety.

can you post a couple pictures of the gun in the holster... thanks

This is one of the reasons I prefer all-kydex to the hybrid design. All-kydex isn't as soft, but function is superior, in my opinion.

You could always see if Comp-Tac will trade for a CTAC, given your problem.

This is one of the reasons I prefer all-kydex to the hybrid design. All-kydex isn't as soft, but function is superior, in my opinion.

You could always see if Comp-Tac will trade for a CTAC, given your problem.
Actually, I've got a Comp-Tac CTAC that does this on my Kimber Compact. I've stopped using that holster.

can you post a couple pictures of the gun in the holster... thanks
I think this is the problem... the cant of the leather as it addresses the safety pushes it toward the off position... so when I wear it and my torso puts pressure on it, it is enough to disengage. (EDIT: note the self-portrait appears mirror image, even though I flipped it in photobucket. I am a righty.)

IMG00154-20120130-1014.jpg

IMG00153-20120130-1001.jpg

Actually, I've got a Comp-Tac CTAC that does this on my Kimber Compact. I've stopped using that holster.
That sucks to hear... thinking now I should have just gone with the one you pointed me to before... must have been a bit of gun show self-hypnosis

Last edited:
The mtac is a great holster for any DA gun. If you ever carry a different gun, you should get an insert for that gun and use it for that gun. It's a great holster otherwise.

When I first got my M-tac for my 5" S&W 1911 it did the same thing after a tiny bit of break in the thumb safety indents the leather and it holds it in position. I have not had a problem with it since and is by far my go to holster.

2012-01-30_11-51-08_390.jpg

Last edited:
When I first got my M-tac for my 5" S&W 1911 it did the same thing after a tiny bit of break in the thumb safety indents the leather and it holds it in position. I have not had a problem with it since and is by far my go to holster.
That's great to see/hear and I appreciate the visual aid!

I called Comp-Tac and they were very helpful, reviewing my pictures, etc. Of course they would err on the side of safety and implied that maybe the extended safety on the SR1911 won't work with the MTAC. Recommended I call the reseller to talk return policies.

Then I called Mike Briggs of New England Tactical in NH (who sold me the holster at the show) and he was AWEsome as I expected. Totally stands by it... will double check with his 1911s today and call me back. If I want to exchange for the CTAC, no problem. If I want to return for full refund, no problem.

Given what flippedr6 just posted, I may even stick with the MTAC and go back to the break-in with water, etc, given his happiness with the holster itself.

Decisions... decisions...

Rather than water, try neatsfoot oil. It makes even the stiffest leather soft and supple - though it will darken the leather/suede.

Replacing the thumb safety with a milspec one, and possibly getting a little stouter plunger spring would most certainly fix that problem if you didn't want to mess with the holster. Chances are you'll be more willing to alter the holster than your gun of course. ;) All my 1911's have the milspec safety. I don't like the extended ones. My RIA's safety took quite a bit less force to disengage, then to engage when I first got it (NIB). If you stock basic springs you can cut length to your preference. You don't want that safety to be too easily or too difficultly, engaged or disengaged.

Replacing the thumb safety with a milspec one, and possibly getting a little stouter plunger spring would most certainly fix that problem if you didn't want to mess with the holster. Chances are you'll be more willing to alter the holster than your gun of course. ;) All my 1911's have the milspec safety. I don't like the extended ones. My RIA's safety took quite a bit less force to disengage, then to engage when I first got it (NIB). If you stock basic springs you can cut length to your preference. You don't want that safety to be too easily or too difficultly, engaged or disengaged.
It's a matter of taste. I despise the milspec safeties.

I also forgot to mention that I never used water, oil nothing it was a natural break in over a short period of time. My suggestion is to put the firearm in the holster place it flat on a table and put pressure with your hand on the firearm pushing it into the leather. It would have the same effect that a natural break in would have just quicker. Obviously don't do it hard enough to break anything or puncture the leather all the way through. Also my S&W does not have the series 70 thumb safety it is the 108282 model.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57754_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

True that I'm more willing to alter the holster than the firearm. The safety is one of my favorite thing on the SR over other 1911s I've tried. I have large hands and the milspec safety requires me to adjust my grip to toggle it. Its action is perfect for me, too... not too hard, not too soft, just a solid, reassuring "click".

Now I'm off to look up how flippedr6's safety compares to mine...

I also forgot to mention that I never used water, oil nothing it was a natural break in over a short period of time. My suggestion is to put the firearm in the holster place it flat on a table and put pressure with your hand on the firearm pushing it into the leather. It would have the same effect that a natural break in would have just quicker. Obviously don't do it hard enough to break anything or puncture the leather all the way through. Also my S&W does not have the series 70 thumb safety it is the 108282 model.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57754_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
Very interesting to compare the silhouette of the S&W's safety to the SR's. Both are extended, but the S&W's is more rounded, while the SR's is more rectangular.

IMG00158-20120130-1304.jpg

It's a matter of taste. I despise the milspec safeties.

I think the milspecs suck, too, but that "non extended" one Colt used to use was tolerable. The one that basically doesn't have an extended lever, but still has enough bearing surface on it to disable easily. I carried a Colt Lightweight Officers set up like that in some of the crappiest holsters imaginable, and never had the safety get disabled accidentally.

-Mike

That's weird. On mine, the holster is well clear of the safety. I do use thin, extended safeties a la STI, but it looks like there's tons of room.

Maybe they changed something.

That's weird. On mine, the holster is well clear of the safety. I do use thin, extended safeties a la STI, but it looks like there's tons of room.

Maybe they changed something.
Oddly I have another CTAC holster, this one for a full-size 1911, and I have no problems with it disengaging the thumb safety of my fullsize Kimber.

Carried a colt 70 series and a colt officers 80 series both with stock non extended safety's for 15 years and the safety would end up in the off position many times over the years.
Mostly used IWB type holsters of various makes.
I love 1911s and this has been my only complaint with them.

Carried a colt 70 series and a colt officers 80 series both with stock non extended safety's for 15 years and the safety would end up in the off position many times over the years.
Mostly used IWB type holsters of various makes.
I love 1911s and this has been my only complaint with them.
Thanks for the insight. Good to know, and a good reminder that the most important and reliable safety is the shooter's own brain!

Spoke with Mike Briggs some more and he will stand behind the holster completely. If I'm still uncomfortable with its safety after a reasonable break-in he'll take it back.

Yet another example of the absolutely fine people I've met in the shooting world. Chokes me up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom