IWB holster 1911 disengages thumb safety?!?

I am such a bunhead... went to the Comp-Tac website (as did andypieces) and saw that the MTAC was designed for 4 o'clock carry. Have been wearing it at 4 o'clock all day in my home office and no problems to speak of... much more comfortable and concealable, too!

IMG00159-20120131-1146.jpg

IMG00160-20120131-1147.jpg

Bought a new M-TAC IWB holster from CompTac for my full-size 1911 at the show in Marlboro today. Wore it for the rest of the day with gun in condition-1... 30 minutes on the motorcycle (no problem), lounging around the house (no problem), then for a 1.5 hour round trip in the Jeep...Noticed the hammer / beaver tail digging into my side a bit while belted into the Jeep. Got home and drew a few times to try out retention... noticed that my thumb safety was disengaged!! (aka condition zero... yikes!) Re-engaged safety and reinserted into holster. Pushed on the leather touching the thumb safety and could see how it might disengage the safety with the pressure and jiggling while belted in. Any tips on how to adjust position or whatever to prevent this?

It is a known issue. If you complain to them, Comp-Tac might offer you a refund.

MTAC Holster Review
MTAC Holster Review

Uploaded by ignip on Oct 9, 2008

Review of M.T.A.C. holster by Minotaur Holsters for the HK USP (full size) PLEASE SEE MY CONTINUED REVIEW TITLED: MTAC Holster Review Cont. It is posted as a response also.

[YouTube]nnrpXb_8uuw[/YouTube]
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnrpXb_8uuw>

It is a known issue. If you complain to them, Comp-Tac might offer you a refund.

MTAC Holster Review

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnrpXb_8uuw>
Interesting, Wendell. Thanks for the info!

Mine seems to be working without error now that I'm wearing it in the right position. However, the dealer who sold it to me stands by it and offered me a full refund if I'm still concerned about the safety of it after it's broken in... so I'm carrying it "cold" around the house all the time to see if I have any more safety fails.

A week down the road and that flat leather "ramp" that was disengaging the safety has molded into a nice "cup" keeping in just the right place. Been carrying pretty much daily and even when traveling by car for business (I just lock it up in the vehicular lock box when I get there). 4 o'clock position is very comfortable and doesn't print unless i'm bending over/squatting or reaching the top shelf with a short jacket on.

Lesson learned and very happy with the M-TAC and with NewEnglandTactical.com!

It's a matter of taste. I despise the milspec safeties.

I think the milspecs suck, too, but that "non extended" one Colt used to use was tolerable. The one that basically doesn't have an extended lever, but still has enough bearing surface on it to disable easily. I carried a Colt Lightweight Officers set up like that in some of the crappiest holsters imaginable, and never had the safety get disabled accidentally.

-Mike

Just revisiting this thread again now...

I've often wondered if I have "alien hands" or something. I've never been bitten (as in slide rail cuts or hammer bite) by any semi auto gun I've ever shot regardless of how small, yet I always choke up on the grip as far as possible. I can still get my strong hand comfortably gripped around the larger full size autos (like a G17 or 92FS) without feeling like I have 8th-grader hands however.

Back
Top Bottom