Japananese Prank Show Gunplay

Wow. I may be way off base, but they might have taken that a tad too far.

Last edited:
Wow. I may be way off base, but they might have taken that a tad too far.

Look at the rest of the vids on YT...they ALWAYS take it a tad too far. But I've never seen anything on a lawsuit as a result of some of the stunts they pull.
Half the pranks I see I think the same thing...then I watch them again and it's funny.

Call me an old fart, I don't care. But, I see nothing funny at all in that video. If it were real then the perpertrators are worse than jerks.

There are tons of those types of videos the Japanese have a whacked out culture. The conservative traditions and rituals of everyday life are in sharp contrast to these types of extreme stunts.

When I lived in California I would go to the club range on Saturday mornings. Right around noon a tour bus would pull up filled with Japanese tourists who had never seen a real gun before, much less touched one. When they registered as guests (arranged by their tour sponsor, very lucrative) it was time for me to leave. They were giddy and practically hysterical with excitement.

I know it's Japan, but if they had tried that elsewhere and tried it on someone with CCW, they'd definitely qualify for the adage:

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

It'll be here, soon.

10 + Years ago I saw a "Let's look at the Inscrutable Orientals" show, where a group of idiots....errr....contenstants went through hideous, uncomfortable, disgusting stuff to win (stupid?) prizes.

Then Fear Factor showed up here.

The real telling point is not the poor SOB in the main screen, but the reactions of the people in the small "reaction" screen, bottom right.

BTW, isn't there a thread about something like this in the UK? [shocked]

Are those who live in Japan even allowed to own a gun?

It's not impossible (at least as of a few years ago), but it's very complicated, and it's strictly about target shooting or hunting, never ever self-defense. (Target shooting only, for the tiny number of handgun licenses, and that includes demonstrating minimum skill levels before they let you "move up"; basically you need to be an Olympic-caliber bullseye shooter, or damn close, if you want to own a handgun.)

There is a gun culture in Japan, but if you're not in it, you wouldn't know it exists. (Sorta like Massachusetts!) On the other hand, some of their hard-core airsoft shooters come over here, pick up the real thing, and do very well.

They also have their own take on cowboy action shooting. These guys have fun, and lots of good pictures: http://mlsa.jp/eng/

I can't for the life of me find the main NRA Japan web site, but it's out there and has a good rundown on how firearm ownership works. (Or doesn't work.)

Back
Top Bottom