• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just joined IDPA

What now? I've been looking for classifiers in the area, but I think the first one is in April. Anybody know if there are other ones?

dont need to do a classifier right off the bat... unless you plan on shooting a major match. most clubs will have 1 -2 classifiers in a year. best thing right now, practice leaning out from cover, from low cover and reloads =)

Not sure where in ct you are but s&w is one of the few clubs that runs year round. Let your SO know you are a newb. Have fun.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'm down in Groton. Basically as far southeast as possible. I wouldn't be adversed to checking out an event at s&w. Probably a Saturday for me though.

Try Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club in West Boylson, MA (directions: http://www.wprclub.com/?q=node/8). We have matches once a month on Saturdays. The next one is on January 11th, and the practice is on January 5th. Here's the club event calendar: http://www.wprclub.com/?q=calendar/month/2014-01.

Most matches have 6 stages, including one indoor stage in low light. Let me know if you have questions.

-Alan

I'm down in Groton. Basically as far southeast as possible. I wouldn't be adversed to checking out an event at s&w. Probably a Saturday for me though.

Try Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club in West Boylson, MA (directions: http://www.wprclub.com/?q=node/8). We have matches once a month on Saturdays. The next one is on January 11th, and the practice is on January 5th. Here's the club event calendar: http://www.wprclub.com/?q=calendar/month/2014-01.

Most matches have 6 stages, including one indoor stage in low light. Let me know if you have questions.

-Alan

That sounds like I could make it. I'm not 100% on what I need to bring with me. Any help?

Sprauge rod and gun, 2nd & 4th sundays each month, $20. Occum exit off 395, maybe 20 mins from you.
Also Academy is starting IDPA again the 7th of jan.
pm me your email addres and I can forward you the info.
Sprauge is weather dependant so it would be best to get on their email list.
David E.

No problem.

In addition to an IDPA-legal firearm*, you need...
  • eye and ear protection
  • a strong-side holster (inside or outside the waistband), either vertical cant or FBI cant (muzzle 15 degrees to the rear)
  • 3 magazines (preferably 4) or 3 speedloaders for revolver
  • a dual mag pouch (or two single pouches) for autopistol or 3 speedloaders or moonclips for revolver. (If you don't have pouches, other shooters usually have them to loan. You can still shoot the match without them if you're new.)
  • At least 150 rounds of practice ammo. (Our matches are usually about 110 rounds, but it's good to have extras.)

*What firearm(s) do you have to shoot at a match?

See this link for IDPA rules: http://www.idpa.com/compete/rules. Click the "Rule Book" button on that page to read about specific match equipment requirements.

-Alan

That sounds like I could make it. I'm not 100% on what I need to bring with me. Any help?

Thanks Alan for the info. I should have everything, provided the holster I ordered comes in this week. I plan on using my glock 26, since its my daily carry gun.

You're welcome, Shipwreck.

Most guys will shoot larger guns, but I'm with you. Shoot what you carry. The G26 is certainly a legitimate IDPA gun. I often shoot my Walther PPS 9mm, which is a tad smaller than the G26.

Let me know if your holster doesn't come in. I have friends who own G26s, and I'm sure they'd let you borrow a holster. (I don't check northeastshooters much, so email me at [email protected] if you need a holster.)

-Alan

Thanks Alan for the info. I should have everything, provided the holster I ordered comes in this week. I plan on using my glock 26, since its my daily carry gun.

You'll need to bring your Pistol or revolver, at least three magazines or speed loaders, holsters for your gun and reloading devices, a flashlight, eye and ear protection, about 150-200 rounds of ammo. Dress appropriately the match is outside.
The members at WPRC are extremely friendly and will walk you through if this is your first Match.

I joined IDPA 3 days ago, and will be taking the Metrowest Tactical intro course in April. Look forward to it.

Metrowest tactical is giving our annual Intro to IDPA Clinic in April.

I have been thinking about looking into IDPA and just saw this thread. I checked out the Metrowest Tactical website and think I will probably look into that Intro class as well. Thanks for the info!

I have been thinking about looking into IDPA and just saw this thread. I checked out the Metrowest Tactical website and think I will probably look into that Intro class as well. Thanks for the info!

I think it's a great class, but I'm biased -- I help out in the afternoon on the range.

John spends the morning introducing you to the basics of the IDPA rules. In the afternoon, you'll get a chance to run through three different stages. You'll get to shoot each stage twice. You'll get to see expert and master level shooters go through the stages as well, so you can see different ways to shoot the same stage.

Back
Top Bottom