• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

just saw this "interesting " FLAG !!!

Jlock66, look at the URL again and then go to the top page on the website. Dalhousie Lodge F&AM, Newton, MA. [smile]

And I was joking... should have used a smiley.

Bro Ross,
Franklin Lodge AF&AM
Grafton, MA.

A few times of flag duty you'll be all set.[grin] Our unit in Berlin got tasked with it for awhile, since a few of our mechs couldn't seem to raise the flag the right way and had it flying upside down, and it wasn't caught right away.[rolleyes]

Last edited:
Snopes is WRONG. It's not an urban legend. This is from a Masonic ceremony. A "Lodge of Military Tribute".
http://www.masonic.benemerito.net/lmt/lmt.pdf

Had Snopes not been so lazy and irresponsible, they could have found the true meaning of what was posted.

The Snopes article acknowledges your point in their last paragraph. The Masons are obviously free to develop whatever ceremonies they wish (and frankly I think this one is rather nice), but the suggestion, perhaps unintended, on the original site is that the flag-folding symbolism originated outside of the Masons as a "traditional" practice and is the reason for the 13 folds. I think that's the issue that Snopes is addressing.

Obviously, the guy who tends the falg here at work forgot to read this.

One of the eyes on the flag let go and it was dangling and getting blown all over and for fear the wind would rip it from the pole I notified building services and they said they would take care of it.

I looked out the window as the guy was lowering the flag and it looked like he was being ever so careful....

Until he lowered it all the way down to the ground with no effort to keep it from hitting the ground.

No excuse but it is blustery and cold and he was alone and he seemed to quickly rectify that situation.

Almost brought a tear to my eye with the care he was taking as he stuffed the flag up under his jacket in a big ball while he zipped up the manual portion of the flag pole.

WHAT THE F$%#CK!!!!!!

I'm a little pissed right now.

Why, then, did you sit and watch instead of assisting?

Faced with a similar situation (in the middle of a contract negotiation too mind you) I left the table and assisted the individual in a blinding rainstorm, all the while instructing him in the proper method to raise and lower the flag. I also admonished the manager (at the hotel) about sending one person to raise and lower the flag. I must be done by two to be done properly.

unfortuately I can't just run out and jump in and assist.

This is something they at least gave us a clue on in school. I assume they don't even hint around it anymore.

I don't know if they're still doing it this way, but when I worked on Beacon Hill I frequently used to arrive before the flags were raised and leave after they were lowered. The way the state did it back then was that some facilities guy would come out with a grocery cart with the US flag wadded up inside, and the Commonwealth flag in similar condition underneath it. He'd attach the eyes of the US flag to the line and pull it up enough to get it out of the cart, not caring the least if it ended up dragging on the ground. He'd then attach the Commonwealth flag and run them both up. Lowering them consisted of lowering the Commonwealth flag until he could easily detach the eyes, stuffing it into the cart along the way, then repeating the process with the US flag. Somtimes the same guy would have to put up or take down (terms such as "raising" or "lowering" being too dignified to describe the process) more than one flag, in which case they'd all be tossed together into the cart. Also, straight up to, and straight down from half-staff when required.
[puke]

Ken

Last edited:

I went to the Snopes web site and read the ENTIRE story. The last Paragraph clearly states that the 21 Gun Salute is NOT to be confused with the 7 Rifles firing 3 Volleys. The Funeral is 7 Rifles firing 3 Volleys and Snopes was talking about the 21 Gun Salute as not being from 1776, the 7 Rifle 3 volley could quite well be.

I also read the second link and see no PROOF that the folds do not represent what the Free Masons claim, only a SNOPEs Opinion.
MY challenge to Snopes would be THE FLAG COULD HAVE BEEN CHOSEN TO BE FOLDED IN AN ABUNDANCE OF WAYS AND YET THE WAY THAT HAS BEEN SETTLED UPON, IS THE WAY IT IS DONE BY EVERYONE IN EVERY STATE AND THEREFORE MUST HAVE A PURPOSE OR MEANING IN THE METHOD CHOSEN. Snopes can claim it has no meaning, but they would have to find a Statement written back to when the folding procedure first became accepted and that it was being done that way for no Special reason. I tend to go with the Free Masons version.

When you look at the Stars and Stripes and the Colors of the Flag, they all have meaning, why wouldn't the folding of the flag also have a unique meaning?
The Eagle and the Olive Branches, the Arrows, the direction the head is facing all has meaning as well, I say the Folding of our flag does too. The Eye over the Pyramid and even the Latin phrases all have meanings.

If the Flag ever touches the ground, it is suppose to be burned. The Flag is suppose to go up at Sunrise and lowered at Sunset. ONLY 4 Flags are Authorized to fly 24/7 in all kinds of weather, the USS Arizonia, The White House, Iwo Jima Memorial and I forget the other 1, Flags that fly at night are to be lit, flags unless they are STORM FLAGS are NOT to be flown in foul weather. So many rules of respect for the flag I can hardly beleive the folding would have no meaning..... JUST MY OPINION.

Last edited:
I don't know if they're still doing it this way, but when I worked on Beacon Hill I frequently used to arrive before the flags were raised and leave after they were lowered. The way the state did it back then was that some facilities guy would come out with a grocery cart with the US flag wadded up inside, and the Commonwealth flag in similar condition underneath it. He'd attach the eyes of the US flag to the line and pull it up enough to get it out of the cart, not caring the least if it ended up dragging on the ground. He'd then attach the Commonwealth flag and run them both up. Lowering them consisted of lowering the Commonwealth flag until he could easily detach the eyes, stuffing it into the cart along the way, then repeating the process with the US flag. Somtimes the same guy would have to put up or take down (terms such as "raising" or "lowering" being too dignified to describe the process) more than one flag, in which case they'd all be tossed together into the cart. Also, straight up to, and straight down from half-staff when required.
[puke]

Ken

And why am I not surprised by any of this???

Back
Top Bottom