• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Katz Deli NYC

I was there about 10 years ago also. Awesome. Zaftigs in Natick is decent, too.
Was decent. Joan and Ed’s was better. Since covid Zaftigs has cut back - no brisket, no tongue, no deli meats of fish by the pound. Going much more mainstream it seems.

Abe's Deli in downtown Scranton as it happens. Sandwiches not as big as Katz's, but tasty. We usually stop there on our way down south. It's a good lunch stop if you're driving from MA.

There's also Harold's Deli in Edison, NJ. I've never been there even though my son lived there for five years. However, a couple of my friends went there and said it was great. Huge sandwiches that can make two meals. Very tasty too.

NJ has a lot of faults, but they also have a lot of good delis and diners. It's about the only thing I miss about him not living there any more. I definitely don't miss the draconian anti gun laws.
I've had some excellent Reuben sandwiches in my life but most, frankly, suck.

I've had one Reuben than was absolutely amazing and I can't remember the place.

Any such delis on the wide track around NYC? I usually go westerly to Scranton and then head south through central Pennsylvania. I thus avoid most big cities until I'm well past new York/new Jersey latitudes.

Same question for genuine pulled pork.

Was in NYC in about a month ago. My hotel was a 15 minute walk from Katz's. Grabbed a pastrami Reuben with coleslaw for lunch on my way to the airport. Very good.

Even the burger king in Milford mass large whopper large coke large fry or onion ring is 13 something with tax

I will say i think there cheeseburger is better than a McDonald's double burger and 1.79 as opposed to McDonald's 2.59

Burger king drinks are insane at 3.00 for a large coke while McDonald's large is 1.00

With both places using the app is critical for free and discount stuff.
You know there's a problem when a large fry a side item is almost 5.00 alone.

Cumberland farms and 7 11 have gone insane there slushy frozen sodas are almost 3.00 for a large just a few years ago there were . 89 cents with a refillable mug.
How can you eat that crap? Ya. I’m old.

Down hanover st towards the city away from the ocean, on the opposite side of the street is modern pastry. They blow mikes away with quality. One street over salem st is bovas 24 hoir bakery.
One 24 hours is awesome and midnight till early morning the fresh bread bakes. Not only a bakery they have food stuffs like pastas,sandwiches made to order on their bread, arancini rice balls stuffed with stuff. So good the food and bakery items. Also on salem st dinos subs and food. 4 foot long french bread subs, as well as traditional subshop type stuff. Salem st ernestos pizza. Pizza by the slice as well as whole pizzas. Two slices would be a hair shy of a medium domino's pizza. Those places are where the locals eat the prices are not tourist trap stupid. The quality is really good.
And they are local who likely also live nearby.

Fast food joints? o_O You guys know you can hit up a decent sub shop and get better quality food for less scratch right?

Son of a bitch, now I want a Jersey Mikes #55. [sad]
Jersey Mike's and Jimmy John's are like an oasis for NES ex pats in the south.. along with awful Chinese food there is no local good sandwich shops it seems. No pizza houses either all chains mostly in my area.

Pretty much like that all through the southern states I've been to. Even bigger cities like Austin have very few good restaurants.

McDonalds, Church's, Burger King, Cracker Barrel, Long John Silver, DQ, WaffleHouse, IHOP, and of course Sonic. In every town.

Of those WH is probably the best.

Jersey Mike's and Jimmy John's are like an oasis for NES ex pats in the south.. along with awful Chinese food there is no local good sandwich shops it seems. No pizza houses either all chains mostly in my area.

By the time I find places like this I am 10-15 years too late, the place is under new ownership, it's all commercialized, overpriced and the quality is long gone.

Mike's Pastry I think is probably the biggest example of this.

you hit it on the nail. There is a Mikes Pastry in my building in Somerville, and its overpriced and underwhelming. I go to Gerardo's in Worcester for my Italian Bakery
Go to Gaetanos in Holliston. He used to be the head baker at Mike's Pastry a long time ago.

Well the wife, and I just finished having the corn beef and brisket.
Here are the results,as for the brisket it was very tasty well worth it.
As for the corn beef, well it was like rubber fatty and just right down gross.
Don't waste your money, I wish I didn't.

Last edited:
How can you eat that crap? Ya. I’m old.

While not healthy, McD prides itself on localish produce and quality ingredients.

The downside to McD is the need for fast and “cheap” and consistent means they have to cut a few corners. Your average 16yo is not a quality burger cooker.

While not healthy, McD prides itself on localish produce and quality ingredients.

The downside to McD is the need for fast and “cheap” and consistent means they have to cut a few corners. Your average 16yo is not a quality burger cooker.
Hard to screw up putting a tray in a microwave and pressing the start button.

For what? Burgers are made on the griddle. Ditto for egg mcwhatevers. Potatoes are REAL potatoes. (Remember the going myth a decade or so ago that they were effectively Pringles reconstituted as fries and Grant Imahara had to make a commercial/short about the McD French fries???). Hell, even the lava-hot pies were deep fried then heated by the fry-warming lamps. (They weren't good to me, but damn those pies were just nostalgia. Roof of your mouth burning nostalgia.)

I'm thinking the McD staples and how many are made in a microwave. I can't think of one. Granted, I rarely go. B/c it's just not healthy food overall.

For what? Burgers are made on the griddle. Ditto for egg mcwhatevers. Potatoes are REAL potatoes. (Remember the going myth a decade or so ago that they were effectively Pringles reconstituted as fries and Grant Imahara had to make a commercial/short about the McD French fries???). Hell, even the lava-hot pies were deep fried then heated by the fry-warming lamps. (They weren't good to me, but damn those pies were just nostalgia. Roof of your mouth burning nostalgia.)

I'm thinking the McD staples and how many are made in a microwave. I can't think of one. Granted, I rarely go. B/c it's just not healthy food overall.
Burger King has the smoke and odor from the burgers.

I’ve never seen any smoke from cooking come out of any McD’s. Ive never even seen one flipped in a store. They open that little drawer thingy and pick out a burger with about 2% beef in it and place it on the bun.
Ok. Maybe not a microwave, it’s steamed like a drive in movie theater. Now those were burgers!!! 😂

I was hoping Chick-fil-A and Arby's would open a restaurant in Leominster considering we have every other fast food, chain restaurant in the area. I hate seeing those Arby's commercials and not being able to buy their sandwiches. There is an Arby's and a Chick-fil-A in Chicopee on Memorial Dr outside Westover ARB.

Chik Fil A has a different expansion philosophy than other fast food joints. First franchisees are more managers than owners. Corporate requires more separation between stores as well. Even down south there are fewer stores han he other chains.

There used to be way more Arby's around here, but most are gone. There was one on Gallivan Blvd that i used to eat at back in the '80s, but it's long gone. I don't know what happened, but they have mostly disappeared from this area.

Then there's Quiznos...

Pretty sure, at least in teh past, Arby's was NOT a place to WANT to go to.

And I dislike the breading at Chick of Laid. It's flavorless. Their process is great. Their breading sucks. Gimme a Popeyes, which is even MORE rare.

Back
Top Bottom