• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Knife carry in Boston

GSG

Hey all. I'm going to Boston for the day, and in addition to my Glock I'd like to carry a knife of some kind. Does anyone here know of any Boston city ordinances regarding knife length/type? It won't be open carry, some kind of small folder, but it has me mildly concerned.

Yeah, not for self defense, just for general cutting duties, I'd suppose. I won't start a concealed carry set up war, but I wouldn't dream of using a knife for self defense when carrying a gun. I'd pistol whip a thug with an empty gun before I'd try and slice them in this state.

But thanks for the feedback.

[smile]

Damn, I always thought it had to be under 4". I have a couple favorites I alternate carrying that I bought because they have blades that are just a hair under 4".

My automatic (I don't carry that one) is harder to open than my CRKT. http://www.crkt.com/m16spfrc.html (top one)

If it has to be 2.5" perhaps I'll get a karambit.

OK, I read that entire link to the archives and I'm still confused.

Here are things that I might hypothetically own but I'm not making any such claim that I own since I don't want to be one of them eevil knife criminals (in fact, I don't really own any of these... I'm making stuff up... and I cut all my food with a spoon):

- Micro leatherman. Has small knife.

- Full-sized leatherman. Not sure length, but no more than 4". It also has a saw.

- Small swiss army knife.

- Full-sized swiss army knife (4 inch blade? Not sure, but not over that.)

- Assisted-open knife (you push on this little metal thing to nudge the blade out, then use wrist flick to bring it fully open and locked), 4". Looks way cool and it scares people, and has a scary-sounding name written on the side of the blade.

Are any of these illegal to own? To carry on me? To carry on me while in a "school zone" (necessary to be there when dropping off daughter at school) or at a college?

If you're dropping your kid off at school, don't let them see it and you'll be fine.

You can OWN any of those knives but you can't carry them if they have a blade over the length specified by your local ordinances.

Assisted open is legal here.

I wouldn't carry them around in college, although multi tools would probably pass muster. I've known cops to see things like butterfly knives in the dorms and just leave a warning not to carry it around campus.

Do a search (use Advanced Search on just the Gun Laws forum) for "knives" and "knife" and see what turns up. I seem to remember it discussed before and perhaps the info was posted. Might be in MGL Ch. 269 S. 10j, but not sure.

I wound up just carrying a little Buck lockback with a 1.5 inch blade that I picked up at Northeast Trading. It fit right in the change pocket of my jeans, and if by some miracle someone saw the knife or the Glock, not a word was said. A fun trip altogether.

So you mean an AFCK is out? I actually saw one used to open a pack of granola at a conference at the Copley Marriott. So now they expect people to start knowing each town's bylaws as they travel?

I'm still fuzzy on what this "butterfly knife" is. I looked it up on wikipedia but I'm still not sure. They kind of look like knives I see for sale everywhere. How would I know if I had one? Would it be obvious because I'd feel all evil inside or something for having one? (I'm pretty sure I don't have one since I've only purchased knives at retailers in MA.)

I'm still fuzzy on what this "butterfly knife" is. I looked it up on wikipedia but I'm still not sure. They kind of look like knives I see for sale everywhere. How would I know if I had one? Would it be obvious because I'd feel all evil inside or something for having one? (I'm pretty sure I don't have one since I've only purchased knives at retailers in MA.)

Prepper: Look up Balisong Knives and you'll see what are refered to as butterfly knives.

Xak: I think you could carry in Mass (as it is < 2.5 inches in length) but I just don't understand tha idea that Boston has their own rules so maybe not in Boston?!?

Prepper: Look up Balisong Knives and you'll see what are refered to as butterfly knives.

Xak: I think you could carry in Mass (as it is < 2.5 inches in length) but I just don't understand tha idea that Boston has their own rules so maybe not in Boston?!?

I think it is Boston only that has this 2.5" or less rule with knifes. The rest of Mass (IIRC) is under 4".

City of Malden has local ordinace that prohibits carry on knives with a blade of 2.5". This provides the police another reason to arrest. If you check their police logs, many people are arrested weekly for this.

There is no state limit on blade length. only local ordinances

Wow, very interesting guys! Perhaps I should get a Karambit with a blade shorter than 2.5" and stop carrying my (just shy of) 4" blade folder.

If you ran into a real jerk of a cop he could push the case and you could probably wind up losing your firearm LTC for carrying a pocket knife, right? What a silly state.

Back
Top Bottom