Large capacity mags for SIGs

JackO

Instructor
Are any older large capacity, not stamped "LE only", magazines for SIGs legal in MA? In particular, I have a P229 9mm and would love to pick up a couple of those mags if they are legal.

If you frequent the Sig Forum ( http://www.sigforum.com ) you can often find these for sale. I have found a few this way. Just make it clear that you need pre-ban, NO restricted markings, and none of the newly manufactured magazines.

Good news: M&M in Plymouth. Only place I've found HI-CAPS for SIGS.

Bad news: They say SIG on them, so they cost like $40 or $60 bucks per.

PS - This forum (Gun Laws) might be the wrong place to post this.

Thanks a lot for your answers.
So all I need to be legal is to find preban, no special marking (no LE), and make sure they are not newly manufactured?

BTW, how does one can tell if the mag is pre ban or post ban? Any visual differences in them, or do I just trust the seller's word on it?

Not sure how to tell diff. I think these were not marked. Give em a call. There is review of them in the Gun Shops forum.

BTW, how does one can tell if the mag is pre ban or post ban? Any visual differences in them, or do I just trust the seller's word on it?

Well, from my experience with new Sig magazines, they are made by Mecgar in Italy and have a date stamp on the bottom. It is a (small) circle with the numbers 1-12 around the outside, an arrow pointing to one (month) and the last two digits of the year of manufacture inside the circle.

FPrice said:
Well, from my experience with new Sig magazines, they are made by Mecgar in Italy and have a date stamp on the bottom. It is a (small) circle with the numbers 1-12 around the outside, an arrow pointing to one (month) and the last two digits of the year of manufacture inside the circle.

I think that markings you are referring to are on the floor plate. I have some prebans that have newer floor plates which is still legit.

The tube is the only thing that really have to be preban as everything else can be replaced- followers, springs, retainer and floor plates.

Preban tubes have no LEO restriction markings on them. I don't believe that Sig has removed these markings on new mags but I may be wrong wrt the Mecgars.

I have prebans for my 226, 229 .40 (rare) and my 228 (which are the same as the 229 9mm).

Back
Top Bottom