• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

large capacity roster

Tells you what you need a class A LTC to own, though the list isn't complete. No, it doesn't mean you can only buy things on this list.

If you have an LTC-A then you can forget that this list exists.

You still need to worry about the assault weapons ban and the high-capacity magazine ban.

If you want to transfer a handgun into the state through an FFL, then confirm with that FFL that they're willing to transfer it in (and let them worry about understanding the handgun compliance crap).

Last edited:
Hi,

I had the same exact question as the OP. So if I understand correctly, the Large Capacity Firearms Roster is useless and should be ignored, correct? What we have to go by, when purchasing from an FFL, are the Approved Firearms Roster and the AWB law details, correct?

Thanks!

Ryan,

No, when you are buying all that you must concern yourself with (assuming LTC-A) is that you don't violate the AWB/mag ban. NOTHING MORE!

All the rest is BS that the dealer has to deal with, NOT YOU!

Ryan,

No, when you are buying all that you must concern yourself with (assuming LTC-A) is that you don't violate the AWB/mag ban. NOTHING MORE!

All the rest is BS that the dealer has to deal with, NOT YOU!

Hi Len,

Ah! Thanks! That is much clearer. And I won't ask why that Large Capacity Firearms Roster even exists. [smile]

Thanks again!

The large capacity roster is useful for someone with an FID buying a rifle that can take more than 10 rounds (for example, a Ruger 10-22) as it provides an affirmative defense (entrapment by estoppel) that such a gun is not a "high capacity gun" despite the fact that it is.

Hi Len,

Ah! Thanks! That is much clearer. And I won't ask why that Large Capacity Firearms Roster even exists. [smile]

Thanks again!

Because some people don't have LTC-A.

Some people have FID cards. Also, some people have LTC-B, still (at least some could still be valid until 2019 IIRC).

FID does not authorize purchase or possession of any large capacity weapon. LTC-B can purchase and possess large capacity rifles and shotguns but not large capacity handguns.

That list would help people who hold those credentials avoid coming to possess something that they shouldn't have. Also, it will help dealers (1) avoid making illegal sales (e.g. Selling an S&W 41 to an LTC-B holder) and (2) properly filling out the FA-10 form.

The list is also of benefit to non-residents who may be bringing a rifle/shotgun into mass under an exemption to s. 129. (The exemption does not exempt them from needing an LTC to possess a large capacity rifle/ shotgun)

The list could also aid police in enforcing various firearms related laws.

The downside is that the list is NOT comprehensive.

Back
Top Bottom