LEAD RECLAMATION CONTRACTORS

geoguy8

NES Member
So my club is looking into hiring a Lead Reclamation Contractor to clean up the ranges and raise some capital while at it. We understand this can be quite profitable, but have found lining up a qualified contractor to be tedious. Wondering if anyone has any insight and contractor recommendations based on their club's experiences. Thanks

We had a local company do our range. Thought they were experienced, but found out we were actually first trap range. BIG learning curve and several weeks later, we ended up with little over 50k lb. of lead and the lead market was going down daily and we did make a few thousand dollars and had a clean range (proactive EPA and good neighbor stuff) When they did our outside rifle and pistol range, the contract was different where the split was same as trap range, but expenses for equipment and labor were taken out before split on those ranges. On rifle/pistol range, did not cost us any money but there was really none left to split. Make sure you go over the contract very carefully, and hire someone that has experience and references. We went local because there are only a couple of miners and they were booked over a year out.

Braintree R&P hired a company to do this some years ago. The deal was that we didn't pay them, they kept the lead as payment. Try contacting the club president for contact info (via the website) www.brp.org as I have no idea who the company was.

Depending on how the scrap company prices the lead will decide what you get.
Make a deal with the range clean up crew.
Best thing to do is find someone with experience in heavy equipment and price out what it would cost to have the the basic machines running and manned for X days.
When I was bringing range scrap to the local recycle they gae you a lower price because of the jackets, steel core/jackets and will try to give you the low "scrap" price.
Pure lead with no junk on it right now is up pretty good.

One club I belong to cleaned up the rifle range a few years ago scrap was tanked and they hired a couple of pot heads . the amount of lead seemed very low for the work they did and how old the berm is. So do your homework.
Called our scrap guy who picks up our stuff
Clea .Lead alloy ranges from type to quantity from 50-75 cents per pound. Lead Wheel weights .28 cents anything else gets bottom scrap prices,

You really just need a power screener and someone good at setting one up to sort correctly.
I watched the company that did a trap range and it was pretty slick other than just big machines pretty simple set up.
You will also be surprised how much lead you can pull from a range with just a shovel and screen. When I first started collecting lead I could just skim the top 2" of the trap field and fill a bucket with 80% lead to max I could lift in minutes.
Same with a berm that lead has a habit of working its way to the top of the pile. I don't collect lead anymore at the range. I gave my modified clam rake to a friend to mine his private range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom