• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lee Loader: .44MAG Newbie

84ta406

NES Member
After going to the range last night and using my fathers old Dan Wesson 44v I am hooked on it. I saved all the cartridges and want to try my hand in reloading them rather than buying cartridges. Looking to keep the loads mild to semi hot. Has anyone used one of these before? Pros and cons?
http://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-44-mag.html

I dont plan to use the .44 mag much but when I go to the range I blow off about 36 rounds and that starts getting expensive buying new.

I had one in 9 mm......in my opinion..........WORTHLESS! You have to hammer down on a brass case to resize. You have to hammer to reprime. Not worth the effort. It will load rounds no question but after you make a few you will want to throw it away. Check for YouTube videos, I bet there is someone out there must have made a video using this thing. I used one, made about 50 rounds and sent the thing back. This is my opinion......not worth trying.

Last edited:
A fella brought one over for reloading some .44 Specials. He did one on the Lee Loader and did the rest on my basic single-stage, bench-mounted press.
It can be done, but it is rather crude. I'd tend to favor the Lyman (or other brand) hand press before resorting to the Loader process.
If you were ever down this way (SE CT), I'd say come on over. I've got the dies, but no components, since I don't have my Redhawk any longer. I do have about 3 milk crates of .44 reloads sitting down stairs, too.

Last edited:
Just watched a YouTube video. There are lots to watch of people using this system. As I said before, it will load rounds. Video I watched had guy loading 30/06. Took 2 minutes 20 seconds average per round for this person to load. Took 7 minutes to load 3 rounds. Watch some videos and you will know if you want to go this route.

I have one for .308, using the dipper it takes about 1 minute to reload a round. It did produce 1MOA ammo and it was what $26.00? How many rounds does it take to return that investment? Not many. The dippers and load chart are all for mild loads, basically starting loads but still very shootable. In my opinion for the price it is worth to try. I have since moved on to a single stage reloading press for full length resizing.

I watched a few videos, specifically one of a guy doing .44 MAG loads. I figurde since I'm only ever doing 36 rounds at a time(MAX 50) it would pay for itself in no time. I know its not the fastest method but Im not really looking to crank these out compared to say .40 or .45ACP I shoot. Just wanted something basic to get me starting on reloads. I only go about once a month so I have plenty of time to reload in between.

As a kid after breakfast up the club we would pick up lead off the range, once we got our coffee cans full my dad would bring out the WhackOround. We did 38spl . We got to shoot 1 shot for every 3 we loaded It was not hard , once you get the feel for it and get a rhythm down you can bang them out. There are a few guys at the club that still sit at the bench and pound out 20 or so rounds to shoot. For just loading a handful they work. Down side is there is no adjustment other than powder charge.

My first reloading was .44 magnum on one of those Lee loaders. That was about 45 years ago and I still have it though now I load on Dillons. The Lee is very slow. If you shoot .40 and .45 why not buy a press and load for all three

The first reloading I ever did was with a .308 Lee loader. It's a ton of fun. It takes a little while, yeah, but it's enjoyable. If you're interested in it, go for it. You can probably be all set to reload for under $75.

My first reloading was .44 magnum on one of those Lee loaders. That was about 45 years ago and I still have it though now I load on Dillons. The Lee is very slow. If you shoot .40 and .45 why not buy a press and load for all three

Id love to reload my other cartridges but I dont belong to a club and Ive been shooting at MFS and finding my own casings there will be impossible unless I dykem each one.. I dont mind buying ammo for the time being as I only get to shoot maybe once a month but I want to be able to do the .44 MAG as it gets pretty expensive.

As of Now I'll be ordering the Lee reloader. I need to find some H110 or equivilent, Winchester Large Pistol primers and some Hornady 225 gr FTX bullets.

Last edited:
i have a lee loader for 357, 44 mag and 45/70 (just gave a 45 colt one to a friend today)
i actually like them. they are slow compared to a standard press but they do produce good ammo and i find them fun to use. the same way shooting revolver can be fun as compared to doing mag dumps from your AR.
i used the 357 for weeks to load my 100 pieces of brass before i got my hands on some dies and some more brass. it's not that bad at all. i find that the slowest part for me is using the dippers. if i had a powder measure i would have enjoyed it much more.

as far as the H110 i would look for something different. H110 likes to be run very hot, and unless you check all of your dipper loads on a scale and trickle charge up to proper weights you might not be happy. try for something a little more forgiving. if you're just shooting paper you can go for light loads with bullseye or red dot. if you still want some bang but without having to run at the upper end of the load data look for some unique or universal clays. seems universal has become readily available at the shops in my area.
good luck. let us know how you make out

I reload on a LEE pro 1000 with good results. No doubt there are better presses but I turn out good ammo. I reload 45 ACP and 44mag. Sometimes 9mm if I need to.

My first foray into reloading was with a Lee Loader Kit for .45 Colt. It worked well, and made good ammo. That being said, it requires more hammering than Bill Clinton would do in a room full of drunken bimbos. A better way to break in might be to buy a cheap Lee Classic Press and a set of dies. Make sure the dies are carbide, and you'll be all set. The press and dies would be an easy sell if you don't like it. The first Lee Classic Press I ever bought still sits on my bench where I process brass for sale, and gets daily use.

Just my .02

Last edited:
For mid range loads, you might want to consider something a little faster than H 110. Something that burns about like Unique or Bluedot would probably be a better choice.

I was hoping to keep the loads semi hot. My bachelor party is May 2nd and we are all going to the range in the morning and I wanted to shoot some fire balls and wow some of my friends who dont shoot and have never been. I suppose that can be done a multitude of ways.

If you want fireballs, use the slowest powder that will work in the .44 magnum. The loads won't be very efficient but will create an impressive fireball.

If you want fireballs try ~30 grains of H110 with a 180 gr XTP. DAMN!
View attachment 129767View attachment 129768

My 240 gr loads don't have much of a fireball, probably because they use 23.5 gr of H110.

Max H110 loads with 180 XTPs is actually 31.5 gr but I had no interest in bumping the charge up 1.5 grains.

I had actually read your thread about light loads and saw those pictures and that you used the H110 for it. Thats exactly where I got the recipe so to speak from.

I had actually read your thread about light loads and saw those pictures and that you used the H110 for it. Thats exactly where I got the recipe so to speak from.

Haha nice. They're mouse farts compared to EddieCoyle's S&W 500 loads with 50 grains of H110. But it's as much recoil I feel comfortable with for right now lol.

My biggest concern is what this gun can handle. I found some Buffalo Bore 340gr heavy loads but they say theyre for only cetain firearms. Waiting for my Loader to come in now to get started.

My biggest concern is what this gun can handle. I found some Buffalo Bore 340gr heavy loads but they say theyre for only cetain firearms. Waiting for my Loader to come in now to get started.

Ya I've got a box of the 340s and they're HOT. As you saw, I've got a Ruger super redhawk which has a longer cylinder to accommodate the buffalo bore rounds and it's really overbuilt compared to a S&W. They don't recommend these in S&W's and a few other makes/models. I think they said Dan Wesson's were good to go, I'd have to double check their website.

Being so new to reloading I was hoping to avoid die and such for now. Might be something for me to work towards but for the minimal amount of reloading I think the Lee classic will suffice. I'll have to check that out more though.

Lee Loaders are better for rifle ammo, because the reloading rate is a bit slow for handguns.

But they are absolutely the best way to get started reloading. If you don't like it, it's no big expense wasted. If you like it and decide you would rather upgrade, same thing.

OP, I have a lee O-frame press you can have, may even be able to hook you up with a scale and some other gear, PM me if your interested, you have to pick up. I don't use Lee stuff any longer except for FCDs and one cast iron press for decapping

You seem to have your heart set on the classic loader. Chances are your going to be trying to use just one type of powder. Slow burners are best for full roundhouse .44 loads. I would recommend them as they require more than the fast burners and are less sensitive to minor +/- variations in your measures. With that in mind, why bother with a scale? Just get a set of Lee dippers http://leeprecision.com/powder-measure-kit.html

The dippers work in volume, NOT weight. Be careful and know the difference.

The Lee reloading manual will give you the recipes starting with grain WEIGHTS in the first column followed by the CC VOLUME equivalent in the second. You just select the correct dipper. It'd be a lot quicker then a scale. You can make one but at $12.00, why bother.

Back
Top Bottom