Lee Load-Master - Priming and Powder

So I have this unit now. I haven't tried it yet. But I'm already considering tossing the plastic primer setup and getting a Lee Challenger single station for de-prime, sizing and Priming duty. Has anyone else "descoped" their progressive setup like that? I'm also looking at that disc insert powder dispenser with some serious skepticism. Any thoughts on that as well?

When I had one, the first thing I threw out was the priming system.
Hand primed until I got different presses.

The disc system worked with some powders, but not others.

I still de-prime/ size on a single depending on the caliber.

thanks for the tip! Do you load 9MM? I saw a review on Youtube that said very small charges can be inaccurate.

That's the thing I load most with it. And that is correct, very small charges can be inaccurate. My main charge for 9mm is like 5gr of CFE. But for other loads I have used smaller charges and what I did was glued a small piece of rubber that I cut to fit into the front of the charge area of that bar (opposite end of the adjustment knob). It changes where the powder falls into the hole so you can crank the volume way down but still have it fall under the powder dispensing hole from the hopper. That's why it was inaccurate at small charges, the hole in the charge bar is way at the front when you crank it down and the hole from the hopper is a little further back so it could get inconsistent throws. Since I made that change, it was right on.

I also have the auto drum which is pretty accurate too but if you use real fine powder in it, you have to make sure its good and tight or it will leak.

That's the thing I load most with it. And that is correct, very small charges can be inaccurate. My main charge for 9mm is like 5gr of CFE. But for other loads I have used smaller charges and what I did was glued a small piece of rubber that I cut to fit into the front of the charge area of that bar (opposite end of the adjustment knob). It changes where the powder falls into the hole so you can crank the volume way down but still have it fall under the powder dispensing hole from the hopper. That's why it was inaccurate at small charges, the hole in the charge bar is way at the front when you crank it down and the hole from the hopper is a little further back so it could get inconsistent throws. Since I made that change, it was right on.
Got it thanks for the description. I have it in my cart for my next purchase. At that price how can I not?

Got it thanks for the description. I have it in my cart for my next purchase. At that price how can I not?

Exactly, I bought a couple so I could use the modified one for small charges and an unmodified for everything else.

The autodrum is nice too because you can set the drum for the charge you want and swap out another drum to use with another powder and charge, etc. and they are pretty cheap.

So I have this unit now. I haven't tried it yet. But I'm already considering tossing the plastic primer setup and getting a Lee Challenger single station for de-prime, sizing and Priming duty. Has anyone else "descoped" their progressive setup like that? I'm also looking at that disc insert powder dispenser with some serious skepticism. Any thoughts on that as well?
I have been using my loadmaster for 5+ years (100k+ rounds) and have had no issues with decapping and priming setup. The disc setup is terrible because you can not fine tune the volume. I opted for the other Lee powder unit that can be easily tweaked to the right weight.

thanks for the tip! Do you load 9MM? I saw a review on Youtube that said very small charges can be inaccurate.
I just updated my friends load master to a auto drum , his load master is early model.
forget when it came out.
His primer feed system is fine except it does not feed S&B and tula primers well.
Hes planing on getting the newer style primer feed also.
He loads 38 SW and 44 mag

Back
Top Bottom