Lee single stage press on clearance

I don't need another single stage press, but this would make for a good secondary press as it is aluminum it's easy to move on and off the bench as needed and that's a price I haven't seen for one of those since pre Covid. Absolutely nothing wrong with Lee's "O" frame presses.

Could be a good set up for a collet puller?
Or any dedicated case prep.
This is why I have a handful of the lead pro 1000 they’re relatively cheap. They do work. They have the same quirks as all the other ones prima feed problems like the Dillons powder drop issues all can be worked out. But I like them because they’re relatively inexpensive. Like I say, though I have a half dozen or so set up various pistol calipers that I don’t shoot a lot of, but the press is more than paid for itself with the money. I saved buying some of the more expensive pistol cals

The LEE presses are not that bad. I had frustrating issues with the older gen Safety Prime units. They were cheap , unreliable jam-o-matics.

Last edited:
The LEE presses are not that bad. I had frustrating issues with the older gen Safety Prime units. They were cheap , unreliable jam-o-marics.
Every press has its quirks.
Took me a bit to get all my pro1000 running smooth.
Honestly though I expect issues from a press you can get under $300 with dies
Im a bit more pisssy when a base 750 with 223 dies pushing $1000 had primer feed issues. Lol

Anyway this is about extreme entry level and low cost. I use my O press to size cases to other cals.

Primed a couple of hundred 9mm with my brand new LEE HAND PRIMER !! Since I'm always behind the times, I finally bought one of the newer (2017) models to see if it worked better than the older (??) ones with the round and square trays. Those are currently being held together by clips and other items !!!! The new one worked like a charm ! 😍 However, the old ones will be stashed away - just in case !!?? ;)

Could be a good set up for a collet puller?
Absolutely
Pulling bullets doesn't stress the press much so even the cheapest cast aluminum Lee press will last forever.

The included powder scale is okay - I glued a scale by the needle that I printed which gives me 0.2 grain graduations. Also putting a strong magnet under the pan will help damp out oscillations quickly.

I believe the kits also come with an autodrum drop - they are okay but mine like to leak smaller flakes.

Primed a couple of hundred 9mm with my brand new LEE HAND PRIMER !! Since I'm always behind the times, I finally bought one of the newer (2017) models to see if it worked better than the older (??) ones with the round and square trays. Those are currently being held together by clips and other items !!!! The new one worked like a charm ! 😍 However, the old ones will be stashed away - just in case !!?? ;)
The new folding primer trays are a pain in the ass at times
But I can print as many trays as I like so it's not an issue.

The new folding primer trays are a pain in the ass at times
But I can print as many trays as I like so it's not an issue.

Only had to try and "contort" the 100 primer tray once and not one of the little devils got away !!! Found the shaking of the tray a little disconcerting but, that too, ended up OK !! Not wanting to press my luck, I stopped after the first trial run ! Not my first rodeo !! ;)

The shutoff feature is really nice - but having a nice flat tray that fits over all primer containers is also good.

Maybe I should figure out how to include a gate feature in my printable trays

I'm giving up on my RCBS hand primer. I admit I made a dumb when I got the universal one that doesn't use a shellholder, which means small cases like .32 don't fukking hold, but even .45 Colt cases if the primer pocket isn't pristine they will go flying too. Even if I had got the one that uses shellholder, using the thing is not comfortable.

I'm looking at getting the Lee bench primer, not just because it uses shellholders, but it's more comfortable than a hand primer and faster than the Ram prime.

It's still not for me....but I've really come around on my attitude towards Lee. The low cost of ownership enabled a generation of people to get into reloading who otherwise would not have. Those people then later passed down knowledge and equipment to the next generation (likely lot's of people here, including me). That is deserving of respect....no more Lee jokes from this guy.

I'm not going to say every press Lee makes is the best, but I do find most of their presses to be good for the money. I have 3 Lee single stage presses (hand, C, and APP) and the LCT and they've all served me well for years for how I use them. The C frame is a horrible one for decapping and sizing, but for everything else it works great, so I just don't use it for decapping or sizing. Hand press was my first, still finds use today. The APP and LCT are the main workhorses tho, but I would like the option of increasing speed and that is why I've wanted for years to get the newer Lee Progressive press, but I haven't done it because primers still aren't cheap enough to make it worthwhile and I'm still undecided what I want to load on that press.

Other presses are out there that are good, but I don't think they're necessary to get into reloading. The Lyman and Redding turrets are nice, but at the price I think people would be better served with either the Lee LCT or a progressive is a better use of one's money. The Forster and MEC single stages are excellent for match ammo or general rifle loading, but not necessary and for starter's the Lee O frame even the Aluminum is sufficient.

I'm not going to say every press Lee makes is the best, but I do find most of their presses to be good for the money. I have 3 Lee single stage presses (hand, C, and APP) and the LCT and they've all served me well for years for how I use them. The C frame is a horrible one for decapping and sizing, but for everything else it works great, so I just don't use it for decapping or sizing. Hand press was my first, still finds use today. The APP and LCT are the main workhorses tho, but I would like the option of increasing speed and that is why I've wanted for years to get the newer Lee Progressive press, but I haven't done it because primers still aren't cheap enough to make it worthwhile and I'm still undecided what I want to load on that press.

Other presses are out there that are good, but I don't think they're necessary to get into reloading. The Lyman and Redding turrets are nice, but at the price I think people would be better served with either the Lee LCT or a progressive is a better use of one's money. The Forster and MEC single stages are excellent for match ammo or general rifle loading, but not necessary and for starter's the Lee O frame even the Aluminum is sufficient.
Lee products all but the heating elements for the lead pots are made in USA and as far as I know Lee Precision is Lee Precision
Not a name owned by a larger parent company.
Lee has its place at its price point and no one else can do it.

Almost everyone who loads has struggled with kinks in any press. Heck even my primer feed on my Hornady 007 press is a touchy pos. Works great till it decides not to.

I'm not a lee "hater" but after my experience with lee products I recognize it's a budget brand and only good for limited use. I had a lee 4 hole turret and wore it out in 2 years. Auto index wouldn't line up right....had to rotate the head by hand a little after every index. One if the primer arms cracked....made of cheep pot metal.

If your only going to reload like 100 to 200 rounds a month it'll get you by......but it's not gonna last long if your reloading any quantity at all.

I bought an rcbs turret to replace it and the damned thins is a tank. I doubt I'll ever wear it out.

I'm not a lee "hater" but after my experience with lee products I recognize it's a budget brand and only good for limited use. I had a lee 4 hole turret and wore it out in 2 years. Auto index wouldn't line up right....had to rotate the head by hand a little after every index. One if the primer arms cracked....made of cheep pot metal.

If your only going to reload like 100 to 200 rounds a month it'll get you by......but it's not gonna last long if your reloading any quantity at all.

I bought an rcbs turret to replace it and the damned thins is a tank. I doubt I'll ever wear it out.
Exactly what the lee does well
Allthough my pro 1000 in 223 and M1 carbine loaded several thousand when I was home during the lock down
I went touch over 2000 rounds with the 223 before I had to fiddle with it a bit. Loaded all 1500 pcs of prepped brass I had for 30 carbine

That is the extreme for me
Usually im loading 38 spl and 45 acp at around 100 at a time here and there.
The bulk of my rifle loads are still done on the hornady 007 Anyrime I get close to having the $ to buy a progressive ( I get lee pro 1000s used cheap) I end up buying bullets/powder/primers

The lee bench primer works great. Itd be nice if it was a little more robust, but so long as you dont hammer fist it, it should last. They are cheap enough that Id recommend getting 2 so you have a spare.

LEE does/did some things right. Their old handheld primer tool was great. The new one totally sucks. Their single-stage press is fine. Their dies are fine. Their price point is good.
But you cannot say with a straight face that their progressive presses are good.

LEE does/did some things right. Their old handheld primer tool was great. The new one totally sucks. Their single-stage press is fine. Their dies are fine. Their price point is good.
But you cannot say with a straight face that their progressive presses are good.
I will say they work…. Again im working with older pro 1000s I picked up free or close to it.
Im curious about the new lee 6 pack press.

Yeah, and the rcbs turret doesn't auto index, so at that point a cheaper, better single stage makes more sense.

Sounds to me like all you needed was to clean and lube the LCT, maybe replace the index rod and turret head. Parts that'd cost maybe $20.

Yeah, and the rcbs turret doesn't auto index, so at that point a cheaper, better single stage makes more sense.

Sounds to me like all you needed was to clean and lube the LCT, maybe replace the index rod and turret head. Parts that'd cost maybe $20.
I tried to order the primer arm that had cracked......even called lee. None in stock anywhere.......The primer arm for the turret is different than the arm for the single stage.

Other thing I didn't put in my post....you know.....didn't want to shit on lee presses too much.......the die carriage was worn to the point that I was seeing my dies rise and fall when the ram went all the way up. Kind of disheartening when your goal is precision ammunition. My rcbs is 2.5 years old now......and made more ammo than I did on ghe lee.....and it's solid.

So your claim of 20 bucks in parts os more like 50 bucks (the die carriage is 30 o believe) and that still may not have tightened thing up....and for that I get what? A press that I'll be f***ing with again on a couple years maybe less? No. I put that money towards a press that'll last my life time and I'll never have to worry about repairing.

Additionally I was not a fan of the design on the lee because the support rods were so close to the ram. I got big hands......the rcbs is wide open from the front and much easier to use.

And how in the hell is a better single stage the better option? Sure the rcbs doesn't auto index but a quick push and it is in the next position. Plus the rcbs has 7 holes on the head and I can leave 2 different Cals set up and not even have to change the head.

Last edited:
Agree on the dies. I only use lee carbide 4 die sets.

I will say they work…. Again im working with older pro 1000s I picked up free or close to it.
Im curious about the new lee 6 pack press.
Stop by and try it out.
Priming is so much better than the Load master.
Case feeding is okay
Other than that it just works

I tried to order the primer arm that had cracked......even called lee. None in stock anywhere.......The primer arm for the turret is different than the arm for the single stage.
What year was this?

Lee says the Classic turret uses the same primer arm as the single stage

Other thing I didn't put in my post....you know.....didn't want to shit on lee presses too much.......the die carriage was worn to the point that I was seeing my dies rise and fall when the ram went all the way up. Kind of disheartening when your goal is precision ammunition. My rcbs is 2.5 years old now......and made more ammo than I did on ghe lee.....and it's solid.
The Lee turret always has that movement right out of the box, it's repeatable enough for pistol ammo or general rifle. If you wanted precision rifle ammo the Lee turret is the wrong press for that. You not using it for the appropriate purpose doesn't mean the press sucks.

Additionally I was not a fan of the design on the lee because the support rods were so close to the ram. I got big hands......the rcbs is wide open from the front and much easier to use.
I will give you this, there's not a lot or real estate in the Lee turret.

And how in the hell is a better single stage the better option? Sure the rcbs doesn't auto index but a quick push and it is in the next position. Plus the rcbs has 7 holes on the head and I can leave 2 different Cals set up and not even have to change the head.
You want precision, hard to be the Forster Co-Ax and die changes with that takes seconds.

What year was this?

Lee says the Classic turret uses the same primer arm as the single stage

The Lee turret always has that movement right out of the box, it's repeatable enough for pistol ammo or general rifle. If you wanted precision rifle ammo the Lee turret is the wrong press for that. You not using it for the appropriate purpose doesn't mean the press sucks.

I will give you this, there's not a lot or real estate in the Lee turret.

You want precision, hard to be the Forster Co-Ax and die changes with that takes seconds.
2020 was the year

I didn't have the lee classic turret I had a lee cast aluminum turret. I even tried the primer arm from my old lee single stage and it did not fit.

I never said the lee turret sucked. I said it's limited in quality in that it will wear out pretty quickly unless your only loading 100 or 200 rounds a month. Shit loads of reloaders will agree with me on that. I out grew the lee when I started making more and more ammo on it. As far as your suggestion for cheap to fix.......I'm not that into buying parts to repair an economy model press. I barely have enough time to get to the bench to make a couple thousand rounds a month that I use...... I have zero interest in fiddling with my press to keep it running. I like my rcbs. It fits all.my needs and I'll likely never have to fix it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom