Lee Sportsmen's Association

I have been a member of this club for some years now - though only active in fits and starts. I'm trying to remedy that in the coming year and one way is to start this thread. I attended our monthly meeting tonight with screenshots of Northeastshooters.com in hand. My hope is to not only draw more of our membership from LSA to NES, but to also draw many of you from around the region to our wonderful club. I'd also like to use this space as a place for members of LSA to post their upcoming events and communicate with one another, as well as have access to the wealth of information and tremendous people found right here at NES.

Our own NeptuneCat will be posting soon about an upcoming open house in October to unveil our new outdoor pistol range. We're hoping to set this range up over time for Cowboy Action Shooting and IDPA and my hope is that some of you will be able to attend and perhaps even help. We are on a new dawn in many respects here at LSA and could use some sage advice from those outside our club - especially in the IDPA arena. Please PM me or NeptuneCat with any thoughts. We could use some help in October demoing IDPA (none of us have experience) and any assistance would be appreciated.

For those of you who may not be familiar with our club, I'll touch on a few things that can be filled in by other members as they join NES and find this forum.

LSA was founded in 1912 and covers 30-acres here in Berkshire County. We have a 3500 square foot clubhouse with an indoor pistol range and indoor archery range, as well as banquet facilities and a full kitchen. We also have an outdoor rifle range (100 and 200 yards), outdoor archery, a brand new outdoor pistol range, turkey shoot range, a pheasant stocking farm, (500 birds) and it is all crowned by our 1 trap field, 2 regulation skeet fields and a 5 stand sporting clays trap field.

I put it out to members tonight that we should look into hosting a Western Massachusetts NES Members Shoot in the coming year....Jim - help? I also planted the seed for an Appleseed....Ross - help? I could also use some help with someone familiar with web design. Our page needs updating and any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, if any of you are ever out this way and would like some range time in the rolling countryside of Berkshire County, I would be happy to have you as my guest.

I would also like to welcome members of LSA who may be joining this site to a small home here on the WWW. We are a diverse and strong community here on NES and I hope you will find yourself at home with some of the best people I have met. [cheers]

As Mark wrote, we are planning on hosting an open house at our club, Lee Sportsmen’s Association, on October 4, 10:00AM – 4:00PM. This open house started as a plan to show off our new outdoor range but it has evolved in to something bigger. We’re planning on having our skeet range open and maybe even indoor pistol our rifle range, and Archery range open also. There will be some demonstration and instruction for those interested beginners.

I will be working mostly with the new outdoor pistol range, and we would like to set up a demonstration stage for both IDPA and CAS. We want people to come in, see the fun, and shoot a few rounds. We were planning on charging $5.00 per shoot for each of the IDPA and CAS stages to cover ammunition costs. We have a few CAS members, so I’m sure the CAS stages will be good to go. However, very few in our club have heard of IDPA and I don’t know of one who has been to an event. It’s this inexperience that concerns me.

So, if there are any experienced IDPA shooters out there who are willing to give us a hand please let me know. Even if you want to just shoot a few rounds, you can be a demonstration. Everyone is welcome to come and share in the fun. And, of course any CAS people are welcome to help also.

We will have burgers and hotdogs at a minimum.

I will post back here as our plans evolve in the coming meetings.

Thank you,
Carl

Mark or Neptune, I want to join but I keep forgetting when I am home on the weekend. Can you post some info on the prices and stuff for those of use that are laxy and can't go to the site? Also, the only conflict with me on that Sat is that I may be at the Springfield Gun show otherwise that sounds awesome.

Mark or Neptune, I want to join but I keep forgetting when I am home on the weekend. Can you post some info on the prices and stuff for those of use that are laxy and can't go to the site? Also, the only conflict with me on that Sat is that I may be at the Springfield Gun show otherwise that sounds awesome.

It's 50-smackers a year...Great deal - great club - go to the gun show on Sunday - no excuses... [smile] How's it going?

Having been to the club, and shooting with both Neptune Cat and MassMark, I'm giving this an A++.

I've never done IDPA or CAS, but where I am able to assist or attend you can count me in.

Edit: After writing this up, I thought about it and thought that to a prospective member of the club, my saying that I shot with these two awesome guys..really doesnt mean anything. I'm just some dude saying he shot with people. So a bit more depth on the club and my day.

I met up with MassMark to grab something from an NES group buy and afterwards we hung out for a bit. He had mentioned earlier that we could go shooting if I desired...and well since I was already out of the house...and with him twisting my arm...I went for it. :) On the way there he pointed out a construction site which at the time I didnt think much of, later as we made a loop around into the club he mentioned that was the other side of the club.

We drove down a road for a bit, went past some very well maintained property and saw the indoor range. The building was in good shape, no bad paint, no trash, nothing amiss that would discourage you from thinking it was just another building. Further down the road we paused so that MassMark could open a locked gate, and we drove in. After going through the gate we locked it behind us. Further down the road we saw another vehicle at the outdoor range, pulled up and walked over. The other guy wound up being Neptune Cat. MassMark mentioned a few words about the construction and Neptune Cat went on in length about the berm, some changes so forth being made, a hope for a Cowboy range, and a bit of detail about the various lanes.

It dawned on me that the two of them were well versed in the club, the range, the grounds and the quest to bring more people out to the range and club. I had a blast with them. The grounds were clean, there were several lanes with ranges to shoot on, the benches were comfortable, they even had target stands on rebar that you could use and reuse. Trash cans were in abundance so there was no litter, there was also a sign up sheet for members so that you knew who was there and so forth. I believe MassMark covered my dues for the day.

So to make a longer story short and to stop your eyes from bleeding, I'll close in saying that the clubhouse from what I saw was above and beyond what I was used to, the range was clean, the members there were all security and safety minded, and I would shoot there any time I have the chance. Thank you for reading this far. There is no prize sadly.

Last edited:

PM sent

Having been to the club, and shooting with both Neptune Cat and MassMark, I'm giving this an A++.

I've never done IDPA or CAS, but where I am able to assist or attend you can count me in.

Edit: After writing this up, I thought about it and thought that to a prospective member of the club, my saying that I shot with these two awesome guys..really doesnt mean anything. I'm just some dude saying he shot with people. So a bit more depth on the club and my day.

I met up with MassMark to grab something from an NES group buy and afterwards we hung out for a bit. He had mentioned earlier that we could go shooting if I desired...and well since I was already out of the house...and with him twisting my arm...I went for it. :) On the way there he pointed out a construction site which at the time I didnt think much of, later as we made a loop around into the club he mentioned that was the other side of the club.

We drove down a road for a bit, went past some very well maintained property and saw the indoor range. The building was in good shape, no bad paint, no trash, nothing amiss that would discourage you from thinking it was just another building. Further down the road we paused so that MassMark could open a locked gate, and we drove in. After going through the gate we locked it behind us. Further down the road we saw another vehicle at the outdoor range, pulled up and walked over. The other guy wound up being Neptune Cat. MassMark mentioned a few words about the construction and Neptune Cat went on in length about the berm, some changes so forth being made, a hope for a Cowboy range, and a bit of detail about the various lanes.

It dawned on me that the two of them were well versed in the club, the range, the grounds and the quest to bring more people out to the range and club. I had a blast with them. The grounds were clean, there were several lanes with ranges to shoot on, the benches were comfortable, they even had target stands on rebar that you could use and reuse. Trash cans were in abundance so there was no litter, there was also a sign up sheet for members so that you knew who was there and so forth. I believe MassMark covered my dues for the day.

So to make a longer story short and to stop your eyes from bleeding, I'll close in saying that the clubhouse from what I saw was above and beyond what I was used to, the range was clean, the members there were all security and safety minded, and I would shoot there any time I have the chance. Thank you for reading this far. There is no prize sadly.

WOW on behalf of Lee Sportmens Association, I thank you for your compliments to the club. It was a fun afternoon and the pleasure was all mine in meeting you. If you are ever traveling this way just let Mark and/or I know and we will certainly try to get some range time in with you.

MassMark, I HAVE to get down there! You suggested this site to me some time ago, while I was buying ammo at Dick's Sporting Goods. This site is AWESOME MAN! I was a member at Lee for one short year, but since I'm in Pittsfield I didn't get down to much. I would LOVE to rejoin, though, especially to have a place to shoot the high caliber rifles. Maybe I'll see you on the fourth in Lee! Thanks again!

MassMark, I HAVE to get down there! You suggested this site to me some time ago, while I was buying ammo at Dick's Sporting Goods. This site is AWESOME MAN! I was a member at Lee for one short year, but since I'm in Pittsfield I didn't get down to much. I would LOVE to rejoin, though, especially to have a place to shoot the high caliber rifles. Maybe I'll see you on the fourth in Lee! Thanks again!

Nice to have you on board! Would love to see you down at LSA! [cheers]

LSA Poster

LSAOpenHouse.jpg

Wanted to bump this, and see if anyone has some input.. If I'm veering a little off-topic by discussing another club, I'd be happy to start a new thread.

My primary interest in joining a Sportsman's club is to practice pistol, and rifle in the near future. I stopped off in Lee today, and was kindly advised by the fellow I spoke to (who took time away from preparing to shoot skeet in order to help me!) that the Lenox club might be a better bet, with its newer facility and closer proximity to Pittsfield. He mentioned that the Lee club is looking at the need for some renovation to continue its indoor pistol range operation.

Seems though that the Lenox club needs a member sponsorship sort of thing in order to join. For that reason, I had sort of decided that my only real option was joining up in Lee - I don't actually know anyone around here with any sort of interest in shooting, let alone an actual membership to a club, to sponsor me. ;)

While we're at it, is the Pittsfield club a secret society sort of thing, or what? They've got a website, but I never see it discussed on the board, etc.

Guide a brother here, fellas! Lay some advice on me. =)

Thanks!!

Wanted to bump this, and see if anyone has some input.. If I'm veering a little off-topic by discussing another club, I'd be happy to start a new thread.

My primary interest in joining a Sportsman's club is to practice pistol, and rifle in the near future. I stopped off in Lee today, and was kindly advised by the fellow I spoke to (who took time away from preparing to shoot skeet in order to help me!) that the Lenox club might be a better bet, with its newer facility and closer proximity to Pittsfield. He mentioned that the Lee club is looking at the need for some renovation to continue its indoor pistol range operation.

Seems though that the Lenox club needs a member sponsorship sort of thing in order to join. For that reason, I had sort of decided that my only real option was joining up in Lee - I don't actually know anyone around here with any sort of interest in shooting, let alone an actual membership to a club, to sponsor me. ;)

While we're at it, is the Pittsfield club a secret society sort of thing, or what? They've got a website, but I never see it discussed on the board, etc.

Guide a brother here, fellas! Lay some advice on me. =)

Thanks!!

Lenox has a very nice indoor pistol range, much nicer than Lee. It doesn't have a rifle range or skeet range or even a place to pattern your shotgun (I don't think?). You can shoot your .22 rifles on thier indoor pistol range but that's about it for rifles (maybe any pistol caliber rifle?). It's really just a bullseye club. That's not a bad thing because I enjoy bullseye too.

You won't be able to draw from a holster or get any sort of combat training, if you are into that.

Lee has an indoor range in which we shoot bullseye (and we won berkshire county this year!). The indoor range will hopefully be getting some major renorvations as soon as the Bullseye season is over. Also Lee has a new outdoor pistol range, with three staging areas, which is still a work in progress. It is open and being used though. Lee also has an outdoor rifle range with 50yd., 100yd., & 200yd. berms. You can shoot a .50 BMG there if you want (no full autos as far as I know). Lee also has skeet, modern skeet, trap, & 5 stand.

Lenox has a very nice indoor pistol range, much nicer than Lee. It doesn't have a rifle range or skeet range or even a place to pattern your shotgun (I don't think?). You can shoot your .22 rifles on thier indoor pistol range but that's about it for rifles (maybe any pistol caliber rifle?). It's really just a bullseye club. That's not a bad thing because I enjoy bullseye too.

You won't be able to draw from a holster or get any sort of combat training, if you are into that.

Lee has an indoor range in which we shoot bullseye (and we won berkshire county this year!). The indoor range will hopefully be getting some major renorvations as soon as the Bullseye season is over. Also Lee has a new outdoor pistol range, with three staging areas, which is still a work in progress. It is open and being used though. Lee also has an outdoor rifle range with 50yd., 100yd., & 200yd. berms. You can shoot a .50 BMG there if you want (no full autos as far as I know). Lee also has skeet, modern skeet, trap, & 5 stand.

Thanks for the knowledge, Cat. :)

I'll be returning my application to LSA ASAP. I hadn't thought of the draw & fire drills as being something unavailable - that's excellent info for a new shooter, as (IMHO) it's one of the most important things a newbie such as myself needs to be practicing.

Again, thanks for the quick and detailed reply! =)

Thanks for the knowledge, Cat. :)

I'll be returning my application to LSA ASAP. I hadn't thought of the draw & fire drills as being something unavailable - that's excellent info for a new shooter, as (IMHO) it's one of the most important things a newbie such as myself needs to be practicing.

Again, thanks for the quick and detailed reply! =)

It's my pleasure.

FYI, wait until October to join so your membership will last through December 2009. If you come to the open house on Oct. 4 that would be a good time. If you can't make it then I'd be happy to set up a time to meet you and take your application and money.

It's my pleasure.

FYI, wait until October to join so your membership will last through December 2009. If you come to the open house on Oct. 4 that would be a good time. If you can't make it then I'd be happy to set up a time to meet you and take your application and money.

Sounds good! I'll get a PM out toward you soon - 10/4 looks booked unfortunately. Helping a co-worker move after a ten hour work day. Fun by the truckload. :p

Gotta throw an update in here for anybody thinking about joining the Lee Sportsman's Association.

Carl (Neptune Cat) made time out of his day yesterday to meet me at LSA to receive my membership application and dues. He gave me the grand tour, club rules, lots and lots of helpful advice, and left me with his personal phone number in case I had any questions on my first day of shooting - today, that was. Truly a class act, and if he's representative of all LSA's membership, I can see a lot of good times ahead!

Atmosphere is very laid back, I was given access to all areas of the club as soon as Mr. Viale received my dues, and was able to go shooting for a couple hours today - just got home half an hour or so ago, in fact. The facility is quiet and private. In fact, I didn't actually see another living soul (except the pheasants) until I was enjoying my post-shooting stogie and thermos'd coffee outside, after spending a box of WWB and bagging my brass. Couple gentlemen drove by and waved courteously on the way to the rifle range.

Just wanted to update this thread to say that I'm glad to have joined this club, and to personally and publicly thank Mr. Cat for taking time out of his personal life (right after work, no less, when most of us are ready to open a Sam Adams or twelve and change into the slippers! [grin]) to show a newbie around. You were very welcoming and kind, did not poke fun at the broken toe limp I've had for the last two weeks, and I look forward to seeing you around the place. Maybe next time you'll bring me a bowl of that Potato Salad, eh? [wink]

Thank you for the kind words.

It was actually Mr. John Polastri who gave you the combo's, but you'll find Mr. Viale to be top notch also if you get to meet him.

It was great meeting you, and hold on to the phone number in case of any future problems or mishaps.

Oh Yea!!! that potatoe salad? It was actually horrible. I'm not going to say where I bought it, but I could never recomend it. I'll have to try the macaroni salad next time.

Last edited:
Hey Mark, I have to work this Sat and won't be able to make the open house. My father picked up an application for himself and I copied it for myself. How can I get that to someone to start my membership and is there anything else (orientation, etc.) that I need to do after that?

Hey Mark, I have to work this Sat and won't be able to make the open house. My father picked up an application for himself and I copied it for myself. How can I get that to someone to start my membership and is there anything else (orientation, etc.) that I need to do after that?

Send your application and your check - your membership card will follow in a week or two. You can also head down there this Wednesday around 7pm for the membership meeting and get your application in to the board in person. That way, you'll get combos on the spot. No orientation really - we're a relaxed lot out here...[cheers]

Send your application and your check - your membership card will follow in a week or two. You can also head down there this Wednesday around 7pm for the membership meeting and get your application in to the board in person. That way, you'll get combos on the spot. No orientation really - we're a relaxed lot out here...[cheers]

Thanks. I'll try and make it down there.

Bump for the Lee club. Anyone living in Western MA and not shooting here is missing the bus!

Revamped indoor pistol range, coming soon.. I have signed up one new member since joining myself - anyone else want a tour? The next two weeks are a little hectic (getting married and etc) but I would love to walk someone around the place after that!

Two hundred yard rifle range, anything you could possibly do with a shotgun, indoor/outdoor pistol, turkey shoots, pheasant raising/bagging... And in the most laid-back atmosphere you've ever seen. [wink]

Congradulations on getting married pernox. And I'm sure you'll enjoy honeymoon.

It was good to see you on Sunday. I hope next time I'll have some guns, ammo, and time to shoot. I just stopped in to for 15 mins to count some cash for the meeting Wednesday night and when you saw me it was two hours later. Yep, theres a great bunch of people in the club for sure

I just joined this past weekend!!!! It looks like a great facility and I hear they are thinking of doing some IDPA in a little. (I like the guys at S&W but the hour+ drive can be a little time consuming.)

I just joined this past weekend!!!! It looks like a great facility and I hear they are thinking of doing some IDPA in a little. (I like the guys at S&W but the hour+ drive can be a little time consuming.)

Good for you 60. I think you'll enjoy your time at LSA. If you have any questions let me know, I may be able to help. I am curious to know how or with whom you joined?

I've been sooo busy lately (actually all summer) but hopefull I will make some range time in the near future. Let me know when you are going and we can meet there some time. Of course Berkshire County is small enough that we probably already know each other.

As far as the IDPA goes. I know that there are couple o' guys fooling around with it and I was hoping to get into it as well but haven't put the time aside. I believe our biggest problem right now is that no one in the club has any experiance at all, or at least no one has come forward.

Let me know if you are interested in getting yourself further involved with the club in any way. We always need more people helping out.

Back
Top Bottom