• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lemay trial in Lowell

Palladin

NES Member
Anyone following this? My daughter was best friends with the kid who died.
Interesting defense theory, a 380 and a 9mm both fired from the same gun.

Kid on trial is a wanna be tough guy...after the shooting there was backlash at Dracut high, when a couple of kids put Free Mello in the yearbook at graduation

Sounds like grasping at straws when there are two suspects and the defense for one has to try and pin it all on the other. The other suspect’s attorney can do the same thing.

Anyone following this? My daughter was best friends with the kid who died.
Interesting defense theory, a 380 and a 9mm both fired from the same gun.

Kid on trial is a wanna be tough guy...after the shooting there was backlash at Dracut high, when a couple of kids put Free Mello in the yearbook at graduation

FAIL - on the part of the Lowell Sun's reporter writing the story and the editor (bold is mine):

"Sullivan worked to discredit Callahan’s testimony that suggests the two spent casings recovered by police on Barker Avenue, ......came from different guns.
...... Callahan’s testimony cast shade on the claims of Sullivan and Rappaport."

WTF? I guess the reporter uses the Urban dictionary instead of Merriam-Webster's!

Of course it IS Lowell, so this may be perfectly acceptable for all I know.

I once bought a bucket of .45 ammo off a guy at work. There was one stray .40 round in there that I loaded up and fired without realizing. It fired the round, but I knew from the sound something stupid happened and it didn’t cycle the gun.

I guess it’s possible to do the same with .380 and 9mm

Case mouth expanded to .40? 9mm bullets are .355-.356, as are 380. Even at the base of the case above the extractor grove a 9mm case is .390 and tapers to .380 at the mouth. What was this fired from that would cause a 380 case mouth to expand to .40?
Ask the ballistic expert, I'm not one, maybe one of our reloaded would know? Could a .380 be shot out of a fortay

I had a 380 case I didn't find and it went through my Dillon and got Reloaded. I put it into a magazine without noticing and it fed and fired through a P226. It didn't eject properly and caused a jam.
I fired a 40 in a 45 by pure mistake. Gun went bang and messed up the case.

so the trial of the second shooter just ended...not guilty.

Lemay was found not guilty earlier this year. In the 2nd trial a State Police ballistics expert stated the two bullets retried from the victem's body, were fired from a 9mm HipOint, which left specific rifling indications.....specific to a Hipoint barrel. The video presented from a 3rd kid present, showed tje 2nd shooter holding a pistol with an exposed hammer, Sig 238, Bersa, etc. The SP expect stated a Hipoint is striker fired and could not have possibly been the gun in the 2nd shooters hand. That's how he got off.
this wasn't presented at Lemay's trial, which created reasonable doubt, allowing him to go free. But now everyone realizes he was the killer.

Interesting lack of reference to firing pin indentation/breechface analysis to see if the 380 and 9mm were fired from the same gun.

so the trial of the second shooter just ended...not guilty.

Lemay was found not guilty earlier this year. In the 2nd trial a State Police ballistics expert stated the two bullets retried from the victem's body, were fired from a 9mm HipOint, which left specific rifling indications.....specific to a Hipoint barrel. The video presented from a 3rd kid present, showed tje 2nd shooter holding a pistol with an exposed hammer, Sig 238, Bersa, etc. The SP expect stated a Hipoint is striker fired and could not have possibly been the gun in the 2nd shooters hand. That's how he got off.
this wasn't presented at Lemay's trial, which created reasonable doubt, allowing him to go free. But now everyone realizes he was the killer.
Did either of the defendants serve the 1 yr sentence for carrying without a license?

Back
Top Bottom