leo/mil only

i tried doing a search but couldnt find anything relevant...so i hope this isnt a dupe...if it is mods please feel free to lock it up

how come we cant own anything labeled leo/military on it? in my never ending search for a preban lower for an AR i constantly see the leo/mil versions popping up but nothing else...i asked an ffl about this and they said we couldnt own ANYTHING with leo on it

can anyone clarify why or tell me if this is an actual true statement? cuz if it was a false statement then i passed about 7 great deals on preban lowers cuz i thought we couldnt own one with leo on it

I was into shooting before the ban went into effect, and I had never heard of the LEO only stamps on receivers until just a little while ago. I know that none of the Colt or FN rifles we had in the Army had "Military Only" stamped on them.

I think it is some kind of marketing BS or to distinguish legit rifles that were made for LE/Mil that lawfully had the nasty features during the ban. However If they were made during the ban then they are not pre-ban and not what you are looking for.

It is probably ok to own a LEO/Mil only receiver if you have the thing neutered by removing the bayonet lug and flash suppressor, but again it is most likely a post ban rifle.

B

During the ban (1994-2004 for US, 1994-forever for MA), Colt and some others marked their guns "LEO/Mil ONLY" to distinguish them from those permitted for mere peons.

Fast forward to 9/14/2004 and the Fed Ban sunsets. These guns "MAY" now be sold to ANYONE, PROVIDED that in states that still have the AWB, they are neutered so that NO BAN FEATURES are present.

So, the wording (ON GUNS ONLY) has no significance legally, only the actual configuration of the gun matters. Many LEOs, not really knowing the law, may think otherwise however.

Mags: If they are marked LEO/Mil Only, mere MA peons can NOT legally possess them (even "visitors" with NR LTCs), unless they are LEOs.

Mags: If they are marked LEO/Mil Only, mere MA peons can NOT legally possess them (even "visitors" with NR LTCs), unless they are LEOs.

It's not the LEO marking, but the "manufactured post 1994" that matters. But, as far as I know, nobody has been making LEO magazines prior to that date.

So, the wording (ON GUNS ONLY) has no significance legally, only the actual configuration of the gun matters. Many LEOs, not really knowing the law, may think otherwise however.

I agree totally with this statement. Unless the officer is particularly knowledgeable about the law, I would suspect that you would spend some time in the clink in the wrong situation before your lawyer got it all sorted out.

There was a thread on another forum where someone wanted their semi auto lower engraved with "AUTO" where it should be on a select fire rifle. That was just asking for trouble.[rofl]

B

I agree totally with this statement. Unless the officer is particularly knowledgeable about the law, I would suspect that you would spend some time in the clink in the wrong situation before your lawyer got it all sorted out.

Yeah, but concievably the very same thing could happen with any
other "military style" rifle. If the LEO is so ignorant of the law that he
doesnt know that such markings are meaningless, then what stops him from
expressing that ignorance in another way- eg, arresting or detaining you for
having an "illegal machinegun" when it's really only an AR or an AK
clone. Anyone thats a complete lunkhead about guns and gun laws
doesn't know the difference between an AR and an M16, and the
like. Thankfully this generally isn't the case.

I'm a big proponent of staying out of trouble, but theres a line between
being paranoid about staying out of trouble and still being able to enjoy
your rights (or at leastthe "privledges" as far as the state is concerned.)
As gun owners in this country, we all have to assume some risk, as being
considered "outcasts" to begin with, especially in MA or any other
commie state.

-Mike

i tried doing a search but couldnt find anything relevant...so i hope this isnt a dupe...if it is mods please feel free to lock it up

how come we cant own anything labeled leo/military on it? in my never ending search for a preban lower for an AR i constantly see the leo/mil versions popping up but nothing else...i asked an ffl about this and they said we couldnt own ANYTHING with leo on it

can anyone clarify why or tell me if this is an actual true statement? cuz if it was a false statement then i passed about 7 great deals on preban lowers cuz i thought we couldnt own one with leo on it

Do you mean like Smith M&P?

Funny think. All of the firearms that our department had in the armory never had Law Enforcement Only on any of them. I see it as mainly a marketing ploy at this time.

Funny think. All of the firearms that our department had in the armory never had Law Enforcement Only on any of them. I see it as mainly a marketing ploy at this time.

Some of the guys over on other boards are talking up the LEO Only receivers for the guys that are in LE departments. Something about it potentially helping a LEO in a civil suits if they have top use a personally owned arm. Sounds like BS to me, but they get all goo goo and gaa gaa over them.

I always wanted one that said "For civilian Use Only". [smile]

B

Back
Top Bottom