• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Address Change is by Mail Only?

I'm moving and understand that we're supposed to report address changes for our LTCs. But is it really by mail only?? (And phone for 1 of the 3 places you have to report to) Can't remember the last time I sent a letter

I'm moving and understand that we're supposed to report address changes for our LTCs. But is it really by mail only?? (And phone for 1 of the 3 places you have to report to) Can't remember the last time I sent a letter
Yes, it’s by mail only. Certified mail at that. It’s not as simple as filling out the form, putting it in an envelope with a stamp on it and dropping it in your mailbox.

Actually, it is by CERTIFIED mail only. It's really not that hard.

Also note that there is nothing in law that says you have to use the form on the state website, or any form at all.

You have to:

• (11) A cardholder shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority that issued such card, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction such cardholder moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of such card.”

Note that the form “requires” a more information than name and addresses. You don’t legally need to photocopy your LTC, for instance.

Also note that the form provided by the state doesn’t even quote the applicable law correctly.

Call the Chelsea office to change address. Also mail in certified to your local PD notifying to change. If you're moving out of state they'll mail you back a request to surrender your LTC and it'll tell you to apply for an annual out of state LTC for $100 a year. You gotta mail back your LTC card to your local town PD.

Call the Chelsea office to change address. Also mail in certified to your local PD notifying to change. If you're moving out of state they'll mail you back a request to surrender your LTC and it'll tell you to apply for an annual out of state LTC for $100 a year. You gotta mail back your LTC card to your local town PD.
Hmm. I know of 2 / 2 instances where local PD did not contact holder to surrender when new address is out of state.

Call the Chelsea office to change address.
This is not the law.
Also mail in certified to your local PD notifying to change.
This is the law
If you're moving out of state they'll mail you back a request to surrender your LTC and it'll tell you to apply for an annual out of state LTC for $100 a year. You gotta mail back your LTC card to your local town PD.
This is the first time I've heard this.

No such requirement. My Wife and I both had our resident LTCs until expiration, years later. I would just ignore any such request.
Hmm. I know of 2 / 2 instances where local PD did not contact holder to surrender when new address is out of state.
Make that 4.
Friend of mine moved to CT for work and his local town [N Attleboro] made him send it back. Might be a new thing, who knows.
Just ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom