Let's talk mag pouches / mag carriers

I'm shopping for a mag carrier to use at Front Sight in a couple weeks. There are lots of threads about holsters but nothing about mag carriers. I assume that a double-stack 9mm mag carrier will work for pretty much any 9 mm semi auto that uses a double stack mag.

I think I'd rather have a paddle type carrier to keep leather between me and my mags. I think I'd prefer a 2-mag carrier over a single. I think I'd prefer leather over kydex, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm also going to need something that can ship quickly. Price is important, but I shop for value.

Any suggestions?

Here's the one I'm leaning toward.

788191.jpg

FWIW, I've found anything paddle to be too unstable when doing things quickly, ie, drawing a mag, both with holsters and mag carriers. I find that the paddle usually wants to come out with the mags. Usually it ends up grabbing the belt after sliding up a bit and pulling my pants up with it briefly, unless I really cinch my belt down, which is uncomfortable for me. (If that makes any sense.) Belt mount mag pouches just seem to be a much more stable platform to draw from for me. YMMV.

I assume that a double-stack 9mm mag carrier will work for pretty much any 9 mm semi auto that uses a double stack mag.
Don't assume that.

For instance, the double-stack magazines for DA/SA S&W autos are significantly narrower than those of the M&P and Glocks.

I would stay away from paddle anything. Not stable enough. Get some that clip on the belt and stay outside of the waist band.

If you want leather and want it quickly Don Hume and DeSantis are probably the best way to go. Leather mag pouches will be tight at first. Allow some time at home for repeatedly inserting and removing the mags in them to speed up break-in.

For the class, you want a fairly cheap Kydex design. Make sure you get one that is brand specific as the generic ones never fit right. I have a few different ones. They work just fine, but I would not want to carry any of them all day.

For carry, I find leather much more comfortable. I like the double mag carrier made by Mitch Rosen as it holds the mags slightly angled apart which makes grabbing one easier and allows the mags to mold against the body better.

As stated above, leather does hold the mags tight at first. Takes some time to really break them in.

+1 for Comp-Tac. And FWIW I have NEVER had the paddle holster or mag pouches come loose on me. Look at the Comp-Tac design and you can see why.

I have a galco leather paddle double mag holder, never had any problems with it pulling pants up with it or not securing mags or any issues in that matter... Dont assume about all double stack mags will fit any carrier Jose is 100% correct...

Another one for Comp tac. They make a GREAT product and I've used MANY different mag pouches etc. Thanks to Lugnut for letting me use his gear and now I'm a believer. I prefer the single pouches over the double as they give you a little more flexibility as well.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom