Limit for jerry can gas storage in Mass?

Awesome, been buying no ethanol high test at the Goshen Country Store for $3.15. Think Evans is where I buy off-road diesel - the place next to the fireworks shop and across from NADA?

No, across from Sugar River Bank on Rte. 11 w/ Dunkin' Donuts. Boating season has apparently started since even the 93 octance high test is now a dime cheaper. Not usually the case.

You're thinking of T-Bird owned by Cheshire Oil.

I've been thinking about going this route with the small engines.
The boat is another story. Boat is hard to fill from a can, very tough not to spill. I'm going to reconfigure the fill neck this summer. Other problem is Marina fuel sucks, it always goes bad, and on Winnepesaukee filling the boat 10 gals at a time sucks. Sometimes I won't get up there for a month, and if you get a cold night, you get condensation/dew in the air and it gets in the tank. Water separators only go so far, the real problem is the ethanol effing up the lines, clogging the carbs with rubber bits, and corrosion in the float bowls. I stay on top of it pretty good... but it really doesn't have to be this way. There used to be places up there... but no more.
time to change out the fuel lines,
i dont know why your fuel is going bad in a month.
unless your leaving the tanks close to empty and the "fuel" is evaporating leaving only the water and alcohol?
I do not see nearly as many ethenol problems as I did 10+ years ago. There are less really old cars/boats/mowers out there and I think many manufactures are using ethenol resistant lines and plastics now?

It's pre packaged in small round cans and larger square Gerry cans. Can be bought pre mixed with oil for 2 strokes too. This is the small cans. It's expensive but of your only running it in lawn mowers and line trimmers for me it's worth the convenience.

View attachment 356764
At this point your not paying for tbe fuel, your paying for the packaging and shelving of the product. If your not burning more than a 1/2 g year of 2 stroke its a good time/space saver with no worries.

Where u get it? The ethanol gas effs up my boat.

And the weedwacker and chainsaw. I use haffners 110 octane in those, but it's leaded and eventually messes up the plugs.
the high octane does not help either, 2 strokes and small 4cyl engines run on low compression ratios.
87 is probably more than good enough. 89 max.
waste of money putting higher octane in a low ratio engine.

I've got an LP generator. Not the biggest, 3250 iirc. Runs on 20 pound tanks. I've bought up and re-certed about 8 of them over the years, I fill them and let them sit out in the shed forever. No mixing, restocking ever to be done. If the shed ever goes up, should be a hell of a bang.

I've got an LP generator. Not the biggest, 3250 iirc. Runs on 20 pound tanks. I've bought up and re-certed about 8 of them over the years, I fill them and let them sit out in the shed forever. No mixing, restocking ever to be done. If the shed ever goes up, should be a hell of a bang.
You should never or need anything bigger. I can power everything on my Yamaha 2800i and get 17 hours on a #20.

Attachments

• DSC_1026.JPG
    DSC_1026.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 9
Cam2 makes an unleaded race gas with a 5 year storage life. Where I get it, its $10/gallon. But I don't need much. My house is primarily run on natural gas (furnaces, hw heater, dryer, range) so the two Honda eu2000 generators I have are fine.

After Irene hit ~10 years ago, I learned that that 5000 watt chinese cart generator was a terrible choice for mid term use. We had no electricity for 6 days and I became a slave to that generator's thirsty habits.

After Irene, I decided I was either going BIG with a propane generator behind the barn, or going small on something that could run the basics on a couple of gallons per day. I decided to go small. I can siamese the hondas and make 4000 watts if necessary. But when only one is running, it only uses a couple of gallons per day. One will run the house just fine if I watch my loads. I made up a "death cable" to allow me to back feed as well as siamese both legs of my panel. I can shed load by turning off breakers.

To avoid backfeeding the grid, I just snap out the main breaker.

Why not go Nat Gas generator set? 10 KW runs middle 2K range (old price, dunno about panic buying)

That was one of my considerations when I made the go big or go small decision. I've agonized over setting up on of the hondas with a tri-fuel conversion and setting up a NG receptacle for it outside my home.

In the end, I decided against it because the gas in one of my cars is enough to run one Honda eu2000 for over a week.
So if we are talking about a weather disaster like an ice storm or hurricane, I'm ok with gasoline.
If we are talking about teotwawki, the natural gas is going to stop after a couple of weeks anyway.

Where natural gas really shines is if you decide to go big. A 6kva generator with an essentially limitless supply of fuel would allow me to run air conditioning, all the lights, everything. Essentially live like the power wasn't out. Which is awesome. But I'm into the Hondas for less than 2K and I can bring them with me. So its working for me.
Going big allows you to live as if nothing is happening. Until the NG stops.

The nice thing about propane and natural gas is you don’t have to worry about the fuel in the carbs going bad or messing with the internals of the carb.

Yup. And that's huge. But natural gas doesn't travel. Propane travels, but not well.

Early in this thread I said I got tired of fueling a chinese cart generator during a 6 day outage.

What I didn't tell you was I had 500 gallons of propane in a tank behind my barn because I heated my house with it.
Given that situation, I was an idiot to not have set up my generator to run on the huge supply of propane that I had on hand.

Why aren't diesel generators more common, too expensive and heavier? You can safely store diesel or use heating oil.

Diesel fuel needs to be stored a certain way also. You can have gelling issues in the winter and algae can grow in unused diesel fuel.

I used to work for a company called Cervalis. They were a hosting firm with a Tier 1 datacenter about 70 miles north of NYC.

They had 3 generators, any one of which could fully power the site. 2 were propane, 1 was diesel. Or 1 was propane and 2 were diesel. I forget. I was talking to the guy who designed the electrical system and he said that you can always count on a propane generator to start when called upon, but that diesel fuel was more energy dense and diesel generators were more efficient.

Their system was set up so that either or both propane generators were triggered in the event of an outage. Typically up to full power in about a minute. The diesel would be brought on line manually as soon as was convenient to conserve the propane.

The other benefit of diesel is you can store thousands of gallons without much problem. Once you get above a certain amount, propane becomes a real hassle with permits because of the potential for explosion.

We bought one of those tupperware mini sheds for our generator. We have an 8000 watt electric start model. There is room left to store 4- 5 gal poly cans with it. I always use the marine fuel stabilizer as well. I use it year round. Being a retired volunteer fire plug I know first hand obout improper fuel storage. Also living 20 mins away from Winchester doesn't hurt either. Gas/,booze,smokes and Kulics Mkt. Been booze and smokes free for 30+ years due to health but still get for neighbors and family. You can even get furnace fuel ( no road tax)there as well. Stash

Back
Top Bottom