• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Live Fire Gunshot Training in Cambridge Tonight! Shot Spotter Testing!

johnnymac101

NES Member
This looks safe... from the Gang that couldn't shoot straight! Lock up your dogs!

Cambridge Police to conduct ShotSpotter testing tonight
The Cambridge Police Department will be conducting a live-fire gunshot training TONIGHT, Tuesday, August 12, between 8 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., in the Area 4 and Inman neighborhoods to test the city’s new ShotSpotter Flex solution.
The controlled testing is being conducted for sensor calibrations, quality of gunshot detection and validation analysis purposes. This training exercise presents no danger to the public and police urge residents not to be alarmed.
In the interest of public safety, Cambridge Police will be onsite at all test locations. The tests will consist of a sequence of gunshot sounds followed by validation of quality detection by ShotSpotter. During the tests, a bullet trap will be used to ensure public safety. No bullets will be fired into the air. There is no danger to anyone in the testing areas, which will be held in cordoned-off areas away from the public, according to police.

How ShotSpotter works
If a gun is fired, the sound of the explosion radiates out from the point of origin. As a result of this sound, multiple ShotSpotter sensors throughout a defined coverage area are triggered.
The data is transmitted to SST Operations (the company that installs and maintains the sensors), where the data is analyzed to determine whether it was actually a gunshot, rather than some other ambient noise.
If confirmed as gunfire, the SST analysts will pinpoint the origin of the gunfire. Coordinates of the origin of the gunshot(s) are transmitted simultaneously to the Emergency Communications Center and the laptop computers in patrol vehicles. The time of locating a gunshot, which typically takes anywhere between 10-20 minutes, is generally less than one minute with ShotSpotter.

Willing to bet this shotspotter technology will provide countless false alarms from all sorts of sounds. What an amazing waste of $$.

after 2-3 years it will either be discontinued or converted to an audio serveillance system which was what .gov intends anyway.

Wasnt thus implemented in New Bedford a long time ago? At least thats what one of the laborers told me a device was that was high up on a pole when I worked down there on Rt 18

Wasnt thus implemented in New Bedford a long time ago? At least thats what one of the laborers told me a device was that was high up on a pole when I worked down there on Rt 18

Yeah, a member here I think was accosted over a back fire in a souped up car a year or so ago in that area. Car backfired and the police came running...

a bullet trap, really? So they'll be firing live rounds in these neighborhoods? Wouldn't it make more sense to use blanks?

Ya we got this system in Springfield.
A car back fireing will set this system off. had a buddy with a honda crx that loved doing this. He would just drive around and back fire his car.

I got a feeling it going be more like...
[video=youtube_share;zDAmPIq29ro]http://youtu.be/zDAmPIq29ro[/video]

Funny, I heard gun shots, fireworks or something similar around midnight last night in my town...

is it shotSpotter or Boomerang?

Cannot be boomerang - that only works if the bullet is close to the microphones. Must be the ShotSpotter false positive system.

EDIT:
The tests will consist of a sequence of gunshot sounds followed by validation of quality detection by ShotSpotter.

Cause only the good guys can make shot sounds, you see. No way bad guys can flood the system with false positives to the point where cops turn it off or ignore it. I'm so glad the gov is spending a few million on this contraption.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cannot be boomerang - that only works if the bullet is close to the microphones. Must be the ShotSpotter false positive system.

013.gif

EDIT:

Cause only the good guys can make shot sounds, you see. No way bad guys can flood the system with false positives to the point where cops turn it off or ignore it. I'm so glad the gov is spending a few million on this contraption.

[crying]

Revere PD just posted on FB they will be testing theirs tomorrow, Thursday August 14th.

EDIT: Thursday, not Wednesday

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom