Local Signage?

I was in Portland this weekend and I saw a signs when entering Scarborough that read something like "Local Firearms Ordinance in Effect, check with Town Clerk's office." Can anyone tell me what the ordinace is?

I was in Portland this weekend and I saw a signs when entering Scarborough that read something like "Local Firearms Ordinance in Effect, check with Town Clerk's office." Can anyone tell me what the ordinace is?

It might just be a bunch of nothing...i don't think towns/cities can make firearms laws in Maine

1. Preemption. The State intends to occupy and preempt the entire field of legislation concerning the regulation of firearms, components, ammunition and supplies. Except as provided in subsection 3, any existing or future order, ordinance, rule or regulation in this field of any political subdivision of the State is void.
[ 1989, c. 359, (NEW) .]
2. Regulation restricted. Except as provided in subsection 3, no political subdivision of the State, including, but not limited to, municipalities, counties, townships and village corporations, may adopt any order, ordinance, rule or regulation concerning the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration, taxation or any other matter pertaining to firearms, components, ammunition or supplies.
[ 1989, c. 359, (NEW) .]
3. Exception. This section does not prohibit an order, ordinance, rule or regulation of any political subdivision which, with the exception of appropriate civil penalty provisions, conforms exactly with any applicable provision of state law or which regulates the discharge of firearms within a jurisdiction.
[ 1989, c. 359, (NEW) .]
4. Law enforcement agency. Nothing in this section limits the power of any law enforcement agency to regulate the type and use of firearms issued or authorized by that agency for use by its employees. For the purposes of this section "law enforcement agency" has the same meaning as set forth in section 3701.
[ 1989, c. 502, Pt. D, §19 (NEW) .]

I've seen signs in MA that prohibit hunting or discharging a firearm within town limits before, but these signs in Maine didn't mention what was prohibited. It was a little disturbing.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

http://www.scarborough.me.us/common/ordinances/index.html

The firearms ordinance is a pdf file about half-way down. Here are the main points:

CHAPTER 603
TOWN OF SCARBOROUGH
FIREARMS ORDINANCE

Definition:

“Firearm” means any weapon which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive and includes any such weapon commonly referred to as a pistol, revolver, rifle, gun, machine gun or shotgun. Any weapon which can be made into a firearm by the insertion of a firing pin, or other similar thing, or by repair, is a firearm. (11/06/02)

Section 1.

It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot or discharge any firearm on land owned by the
Town of Scarborough. (Amended 11/06/02)

Section 2.

It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot or discharge any firearm in the Town of
Scarborough within 100 yards of a dwelling or occupied building or structure without having
received the prior consent of the owner or the occupants of said dwelling or occupied building or structure. (Amended 11/06/02)

Section 3.

It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot or discharge any firearm in the Town of
Scarborough which causes or permits the bullet or projectiles from such firearm to pass or results in the bullet or projectile from such firearm passing within 100 yards of a dwelling or occupied building or structure without having received the prior consent of the owner or occupants of said dwelling or occupied building or structure. (Amended 11/06/02)

Section 4.

It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot or discharge any firearm except for shotguns,
muzzle loader/black powder guns, revolvers, or pistols within the Town of Scarborough.
(Amended 11/06/02)
(a) This section shall not apply to any person who has prior consent from the owner of the
premises upon which said firearms are to be discharged.

Section 5.

The provisions of Section 2, Section 3 and Section 4 shall not apply on an approved firing
range. An approved firing range is defined as an area set up for the safe discharge of firearms with adequate protection in the form of a backstop and/or a proper field of fire and so arranged as to prevent any danger to neighboring property or persons, which has been approved under Sections 8 through 11 or under Section 12 below. (Amended 11/06/02)

The rest of this really just applies to running ranges.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom