• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long Gun Storage by Non-Resident

Hi All,

I have a question regarding long gun possession/storage while visiting CT.

I will be attending the Appleseed shoot this weekend in Winchendon. Immediately after, I will be heading to CT to visit my in-laws for the rest of the weekend.
I will have my AR-15 and my 10/22 with me as well as various ammo and magazines.

My AR-15 is mass-compliant, with fixed stock, no bayo lug or flash suppressor. It is manufactured by Rock River Arms, so it does not get hit by the CT "COLT AR-15" ban. I have pre-ban 20rd magazines for the AR. My 10/22 is box stock except for new sights.
I planned to keep trigger locks on each gun and keep them in locked in the trunk of my car. If need be, I can move the rifles indoors while I am visiting.

I think I am ok under the CT AWB, but I just want to check.
Also, are there any safe-storage laws that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

Last edited:
One thing to watch out for in CT is their byzantine "assault weapons" ban. In many regards it's far worse than MA. You will want to do some research to see if your AR is banned down there or not. I'm unsure if -all- AR-15s are banned or only those by certain manufacturers. (For instance, I know colts are basically verboten down there. )

-Mike

One thing to watch out for in CT is their byzantine "assault weapons" ban.

The CT ban is pretty much the same as our ban here in MA, with the following exceptions:

1) They specifically list more gun models (35) that are assault weapons by default than we do (9). Colts are banned in both states.

2) Assault weapon 'parts' are also banned.

3) No exception for pre-bans, unless they were registered in CT before the ban, and ownership cannot be transferred within CT except to an FFL.

4) They did not tie a large cap magazine ban into their assault weapons ban as we did.

if no one is under the age of 16 is staying where you are there are no storage laws...

Sort of. If the rifle is loaded, you have to store it locked up or in your direct control if you know or should have reasonably known that someone under the age of 16 is likely to gain access to it without parent/guardian permission. If they do get access to it and they injure someone, you are criminally liable unless they broke in to get the gun. (CGS § 29-37i, CGS § 53a-217a)

While being transported in a car, the rifle must be unloaded. (CGS § 53-205)

Back
Top Bottom