Looking for a new shotgun

I'm considering picking up another shotgun for this season, since I plan on really getting back into hunting. I have a few in mind, but rather than taint your opinions, I'll save it for the buy.

I'm thinking of a multi-purpose bird gun. What are your suggestions?

There is only one shotgun that interests me these days and I'm so glad I finally got one:

Saiga1.jpg

Saiga2.jpg

Aside from being so damn cool, you can actually use a Saiga 12 for just about anything including SHTF and it comes with a removable mag block for restricting it to 5 round capacity.

There is only one shotgun that interests me these days and I'm so glad I finally got one:

Aside from being so damn cool, you can actually use a Saiga 12 for just about anything including SHTF and it comes with a removable mag block for restricting it to 5 round capacity.

Umm, Martlet wants to bird hunt... [smile]

if you want a pump go with a remington 870 or mossburg 500, for a autoloader you cant go wrong with a remington 1187 or one of the benllies. they both have slug barrels for them if you want to go deer hunting

Depending on how much $$$ you are willing to part with, I would suggest checking out over/unders. They are a good bit more spendy than other types, but swing and point like no other gun for bird hunting.

Depending on how much $$$ you are willing to part with, I would suggest checking out over/unders. They are a good bit more spendy than other types, but swing and point like no other gun for bird hunting.

I really don't have a budget. If I find a gun I'm happy with for 100 bucks, that's great. If I find one I love for 1500, that's fine too. I was thinking of looking at O/U. I've never owned one. I hate the idea of only having 2 shots, but I can't think of a time when I've used more.

Right. A 3rd shot MAY come in handy with waterfowl. But with upland, if you ain't got em with 2 shots, you ain't gonna get em.[wink]
+1

Almost all my upland hunting when I lived in Kansas was done with a Ugartechea Model 30 side by side.

Hey Martlet,

From one North Shore bird hunting fanatic and shotgun enthusiast to another:

I've purchased two shotguns recently: a Benelli SuperNova and a B. Rizzini Omnium over/under. I've spent many hours in the field with each gun at this point and love them both for different reasons.

The Benelli Supernova is my no-frills, all-purpose hunting shotgun. While searching for the right 12 gauge pump I tried them all: Remington, Mossberg, Browning. The Supernova came out ahead for lots of reasons: chrome lined barrel, ability to eject the chambered round without loading a round into the chamber from the mag, adjustable cast and drop, location of the action release and safety, synthetic receiver, short stroke pump, ability to field strip in a few seconds without tools and overall fit and finish. It's a cheap, rugged 12 gauge that patterns beautifully and works every time. I use it primarily for turkey, though on really rainy days it will join me out in the field while upland hunting. They make great deer guns too, though I'm primarily a bird hunter. If you get one, pay a little extra for a camo dipped one. They're ugly, but the dip basically makes the gun weather-proof.

The 20 gauge B. Rizzini is my partridge/woodcock gun. If you've never shot an over/under I highly recommend trying one. There is nothing like it. Yes, you are limited to two shots, but the handling characteristics of a good O/U simply can't be beat. They are snappy, light and point naturally. They also give you the ability to employ two chokes simultaneously. Using your barrel selector, you can choose which kind of choke you want to use instantly depending on field conditions. Or if you miss on your first shot, your second barrel is choked tighter for a farther follow-up. They are simple to maintain, and if you get a good one you will be very hard pressed to ever wear it down. They also give you a generally shorter overall gun length than a comparable pump or semi-auto because the receivers are so short. Compare a 28" O/U to a 28" Montefeltro and you'll see what I mean: the Monetfeltro will feel extremely long and ungainly.

My brother hunts with a 20 gauge Ruger Red Label O/U and loves it. I shot it and thought it was a very fine shotgun for the money. I believe he paid 1200 for it. It is heavier than its Italian counterparts, but you save a lot of money. The Berettas are nice, as are the Caesar Guerini's. I prefer Rizzini to both Beretta and Guerini, but it really comes down to personal preference as they are all wonderful shotguns. Expect to pay 1600-2000 for a good, entry level Italian double.

These are my thoughts after spendling lots of time looking for the right bird guns. You might consider heading over to the River's Edge Trading Company in Beverly, MA. I bought my Rizzini there, and David had some other really choice pieces. His selection is small, but very high quality. There is a Rizzini made Sig Arms/LL. Bean "New Englander" 20 gauge there that is gorgeous. I believe it's 1900. It would be a fantastic bird gun.

Good luck!

Last edited:
+1 to what O/U said.

My first O/U was a Red Label 12 gauge. I love it. To me, it is one of the prettiest guns out there. I also happen to shoot pretty good with it too. Only thing is that the older I get, the heavier it seems to get. Not a big deal for a couple hour hunt, but after a full day afield, I swear my arms are a little longer [grin]

A couple years ago I happened upon a Weatherby 20 gauge. It is fantastic. Light weight, points and swings like a dream. I thought I would be under gunned with a 20, but it is not true.

It came with 3" chambers so I use 3" shells. They deliver an ounce and 1/8 at about 1100fps. Compare that to standard 2 3/4" Rem Express loads of an ounce and 1/4 at 1200fps. You lose 1/8 of an ounce, and it is moving 100fps slower. Not a big deal, and I have noticed no difference in bird killing ability.

I would suggest a trip to Kittery. They have a few in the racks, and they also have a whole bunch of the more pricey ones behind the counter in the far rear right of the store. You will be able to see and touch a wide assortment to help you decide. If you want, you are also welcome to come with me to my range (Georgetown) and shoot some trap with both the Red Label and the Weatherby.

Bob

Last edited:
Those Weatherby's are gorgeous. I haven't shot one, but I've handled them and think they're a great buy.

The Kittery suggestion is a good one. You can handle $75 Pardners and $40,000 Purdy's. Last time I was there they had an old used Greener side by side 20 gauge for $3,000. Talk about a beautifully handling shotgun. Wow! The problem with the side by sides is that if you use them for clays (which you should do anyway to get the feel of the gun), the forearm is too small to protect you from the heat of the barrels. You can get leather sheaths to protect you, but still: the O/U is built for high volume shooting. Of course, there is something special about those side by sides. I'll get one eventually.

One of the Kittery shotgun guys said something hilarious to me: "If God wanted me to shoot an over and under, he would have put my eyes like this," and he pointed to his forehead and nose.

It's all about what you're used to, and you'll find rabid proponents of each school. This can be interpreted as snobbishness, but in reality I've found that many of the real die-hard New England upland hunters are anything but snobs.

In my experience Dick's has both a seriously limited selection, and an egregiously misinformed staff.

Kittery is the place to go. Just try to get there when they open as rampant and random muzzle sweeping begins promptly at 11:00am.

In my experience Dick's has both a seriously limited selection, and an egregiously misinformed staff.

Kittery is the place to go. Just try to get there when they open as rampant and random muzzle sweeping begins promptly at 11:00am.

I'd definitely go to a place like Kittery before I buy. I probably wouldn't buy from them, though, since I hate that place. I'm merely stopping by Dick's because I'll be driving past it, so I may as well look.

I'd definitely go to a place like Kittery before I buy. I probably wouldn't buy from them, though, since I hate that place. I'm merely stopping by Dick's because I'll be driving past it, so I may as well look.

I hear that. I didn't mean to rain on your parade.

I do business at Dick's pretty constantly. They have good deals on ammo and they sell cleaning equipment and odds and ends at decent prices.

As I recall they did have a few Benelli Novas and a couple Beretta Silver Pigeons.

if you want a pump go with a remington 870 or mossburg 500, for a autoloader you cant go wrong with a remington 1187 or one of the benllies. they both have slug barrels for them if you want to go deer hunting

I have a Moss-500 and couldn't be happier, although I am not sure that it would applicable for bird-hunting as I have only used it for target practice. Although (possibly) unnecessary, I also got: a flashlight & laser underneath the barrell, a 5 shell holder )that wraps around the butt end) and a snap on belt that can hold 25 or so shells.

I can't see any reason not to get any of the before mentioned shotguns. They are all great and function well. There are many others, too, but try to buy quality. You'll get what you pay for. The Mossy is the best gun for the price, IMHO. I've had one since I was 18 (1st buy) and have never had any issue with it. Work horse of a gun and actually fit me better than the 870 I had my heart (and cash) set on.
For bird hunting, especially at this time of foliage (awfully thick woods) I prefer to take my old Rem. 48 out because I'm not afraid to brush into raspberry bushes, mud, sweat, etc.... with it. Not the prettiest gun out there, but she's got alot of bloody feathers on her.
I have taken my Beretta 686 out on occasion, but do limit myself to where I'll go. Not too much bloody feathers on that one, though.
I've got my share of shotguns. And if you're limited on funds and/or the possibility of losing interest in bird hunting, I'd encourage a Mossy. I hate to see it when someone buys an expensive gun for bird hunting, goes a handful of times, then hangs it up. Hunting guns need to be hunted just as hunting dogs do.

And if you're limited on funds and/or the possibility of losing interest in bird hunting, I'd encourage a Mossy. I hate to see it when someone buys an expensive gun for bird hunting, goes a handful of times, then hangs it up. Hunting guns need to be hunted just as hunting dogs do.

If I hang up bird hunting, it will only be while I live in MA. I've been bird hunting since I was 10. I only stopped when I moved here. First because I wasn't planning on staying long so I didn't want to register my guns, then because I didn't know a place to hunt. Finally, I've decided I can't wait any longer. I'm not as worried about sinking the money into a gun. Heck, I still have a black rifle I've never fired. I bought it over a year ago.

The Natick outdoor store carries a fair selection of Brownings and
Berettas. Also, Roach's in Cambridge has some *very* nice O/Us. I
am partial to my Browning Citori, but the Berettas feel really nice,too.
If you buy an O/U I would get one of the brands that skeet shooters
put 10s of thousands of rounds through: Browning and Beretta. They
have proven to be dependable and stay locked up tightly.

Back
Top Bottom