Looking for Gun Club in Central Mass

Hey folks, my first post on this website and I’m looking for recommendations on a Gun Club in the central mass area, something as close as possible to the Sterling / Clinton area. Maybe I’m being too picky with my wish list but I’ve got to think there must be a good gun club out there somewhere for me, but first let me give you some background:

For many years I had a membership at North Leominster Rod & Gun, this is an excellent facility, however, the problems were the restrictions placed on rifle shooting during skeet matches. Too many times I’d show up to shoot only to find out that the rifle range was closed because of a skeet tournament or match was taking place on the other side of the facility.

I then had a membership for a couple years at Eight Point in Sterling but they have a restriction on rapid fire shooting at the rifle / pistol range (something like 1 round every 10 seconds, can’t remember exactly). Also, the rifle range is only 100yds long and the pistol area is bleak, to say the least, so I let my membership expire last year.

Now it’s time once again to look for another club – it’s been a long shootless spring & summer. I’m not that into skeet shooting anymore so that’s not a big concern to me. I would like to find a club with a nice 200yd range and a good pistol range. Preferably these ranges would have a roof over the shooting area and more than a couple shooting stations each (I hate pressuring people or having them pressure me to finish up). I definitely don’t want another club with too many (or any) of the restrictions / drawbacks mentioned above. Does a place like this exist anywhere within ½ hour drive of the Sterling / Clinton area or am I just outta luck?

If someone has any questions for me please be patient I’ll try to check in at least once a day…

Worcester Pistol and Rifle is right in Boylston although you'd likely have to wait until February to join since the next orientation isn't until January.

I was going to say the say the same thing WPR club, But its no sportsmens club. only 100 yard range. indoor range open 24/7. whenever I go its never busy. hope this helps somewhat.

+1 for Worcester Pistol & Rifle. Only 10 minutes from Clinton. I've never gone and had to wait for someone to finish shooting to find a spot, covered shooting area for both pistol and rifle.

I wasn’t aware of these clubs, I’ll have to check them both out, much appreciated!

I have to say the Harvard Club looks real interesting but the commute too and from burns up a lot of time. The Worcester Club only has 100yd range but that might be worth the trade off in commute time. It will probably come down to first impressions during my visit.

Also, a friend of mine is in the same boat regarding a club, he also didn’t renew his Eight Point membership so some “lucky” club might get two new members.

Anyone interested in giving us a tour we’d be happy to make arrangements to meet with you at your club, just send me a PM

Harvard: Wednesday nights 5-7pm - practice at the Action Pits - its open for non club members. Come by check out the grounds, see what it has to offer. You will not be disappointed.

If that does not work for you and your buddy I may be able to meet at the club with you on a weekend.

Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard.

Sorry, I'm a bit partial.

Harvard would be really awesome, I mean if the whole "sponsor required" thing didn't exists...lol not to mention the $300 just to join, don't get me wrong, I'd pay it ALONE, but it's foolish that they want you to have a sponsor too, which sucks for somebody like me who doesn't know anybody from there.

and I'm not really interested in kissing the a** of a member whom I don't know just to join a club with fancy ranges lol

Harvard would be really awesome, I mean if the whole "sponsor required" thing didn't exists...lol not to mention the $300 just to join, don't get me wrong, I'd pay it ALONE, but it's foolish that they want you to have a sponsor too, which sucks for somebody like me who doesn't know anybody from there.

and I'm not really interested in kissing the a** of a member whom I don't know just to join a club with fancy ranges lol

Show up at a meeting. Unless you have an Obama for President or Coakley for Senate sticker on your car, you should be able to find a sponsor in about 5 minutes, no ass kissing required. You might get someone to sponsor you by agreeing not to kiss his ass [smile]

What do you have absolutely no social skills. Just come with a smile and you will find a sponsor. There is no secret handshake, we don't make fun of people because they are the new guy, we all started without a sponsor. Its just a way to make new members interact and make a real community feel for the club. $300 is less then other clubs that don't even come close to the same facilities we have.

I will gladly let you kiss my a$$ give me a couple boxes of ammo (223, 9 or 45 preferred) and I will sponsor you ;)

Just having fun with you bud - send me a pm if you want to check out the club and see for yourself. Its well worth it!

Harvard is a great club. Its just a little too far for me to travel or I'd be a member there. $300 is NOT a lot of money for the first year. There are many clubs with less in the way of facilities that charge more. As has been mentioned, the whole sponsor thing is pretty easy to get around. My experience with people I've met at both Harvard and WPRC is nothing but positive. In general the folks are friendly and welcoming to new members. A quick visit will make you a buddy or two and then you're all set.

My Dad was a member at 8 Points, and he and I found it OK. I never had a problem with "rapid fire", but it has been a couple years since I was there last.

Worcester Pistol and Rifle in Boylston?
Nimrod in Holden?
North Worcester Fox and Coon in Holden?
Auburn Sportsmens' Club?
Century?
Singletary?

You could try Nimrod in Holden, Princeton (Don't remember the name of their club), and you could try Barre Sportsman's Club as well but that's a little drive from Sterling/Clinton.

Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. Harvard.

Sorry, I'm a bit partial.

+1 [smile]

As others have mentioned you're grossly misunderstanding the concept of a "sponsor". I literally posted on NES and had about 4 people volunteer to be my sponsor. And no, $300 isn't a lot for a year 1 membership (initiation + dues). When you consider that you can actually get your renewal down to $75 by spending a few hours a year pitching in at the club, I'd say it's an incredible bargain.

As others have mentioned you're grossly misunderstanding the concept of a "sponsor". I literally posted on NES and had about 4 people volunteer to be my sponsor. And no, $300 isn't a lot for a year 1 membership (initiation + dues). When you consider that you can actually get your renewal down to $75 by spending a few hours a year pitching in at the club, I'd say it's an incredible bargain.

If TBalls can get sponsorship, anyone can. He's a tremendous a-hole

[wink]

my question, what do you want or need from a club. i would

start there...

JimB

I don’t want a club, I need a club….

I’m not a social butterfly and it’s not social time I’m looking for when shooting, I don’t care who the board members are or who’s the best shot or who has the best equipment. It’s all about me getting some time on the range, beating my personal best & evaluating my newest equipment or just zeroing in the 30-06 or shotgun for the next hunting trip.

Growing up in the 80’s I could simply go down to the local sandpit in Clinton or Lancaster and shoot till my hearts content. The two locations I speak of were the sandpit behind the Clinton Dump and the pit off of Rt.62 in Lancaster, at one time these were both owned by R. Bates & Sons. I even had keys to the gates which would allow me to drive right in because I was a friend of the Bates family. Now the State owns the pit behind the old dump and the Rt. 62 pit is now a development of homes…… oh joy!

I don’t care for organized shooting events, I’m not into the whole competition thing. I find it hard enough to make the time to get out and shoot the pistol or rifle for an hour or two, but when I do, the last thing I want to find is the range is closed due to an event or that I have to pace myself so the neighbors don’t call the police about rapid fire. Also, I want adequate facilities and enough shooting lanes to accommodate more than a couple of guys & don’t want to feel rushed at any point.

I will make it over to Harvard one of these Wednesdays but I’ll have to cut out of work a bit early to do this, however $300 the first year & travel time is excessive and I know I will never take full advantage of all a club like this can offer. I’ve also been invited by a Worcester Pistol member (NES member) to tour this facility, this club is especially appealing because of its proximity but lacks a 200yd range.

Long story short, it would be nice to wake up on a Saturday or Sunday and decide that I’m going to shoot in the morning and have nothing restricting that activity. I know there are drawbacks to just about every club that’s why I’m being more proactive in making sure the club suits my needs before I join. I plan on asking a lot of questions that address my needs and with any luck one of these clubs rises to the top.

Well based upon above I will tell you a few things from my experiences at Harvard.

1) There is many many events that take place and at times ranges can be closed for those. Sat/Sun being some of the most popular times of course.

2) I do enjoy the social aspect and I think the club has a very social atmosphere. Not to say you can't be left to your own or find a range that is clear of people but a forewarning :)

3) Everything else on your list is certainly attainable at the club and restrictions are few. Use your head and be smart and we can keep the restrictions to a minimum

4) $300 is about the best deal out there for the facilities they offer and the freedom the club grants. This is also your first year only and dues go down after that. About the best bargain a shooter can ask for if you compare to other clubs and their costs.

Hope that helps you in some way to make the right decision for yourself. Again more then happy to meet you at the club sometime to toss some lead down range.

Dirtypacman, if my work schedule or the weather does not allow a Wednesday visit in the next few weeks I’ll take you up on your offer, keep an eye out for a PM. It’s not like I’m in a big rush or anything so I have time, definitely going to look before I leap.

I don’t mean to come off as anti-social, it’s the “too overcrowded” I want to avoid but I know that’s not always going to be possible. For the record, I’m not immune to throwing back a few beers with other members and telling a few white lies….. p.s. I’m also an avid fisherman, enough said!

I appreciate all the feedback and will update the thread after visiting both clubs in the coming weeks.

Auburn Sportsman's Club has most of what you are looking for, except the 200 yard range, and they don't open until 1 PM on Sundays. Perhaps you are better off looking for another sand pit. Is the old one you used, which is owned by the state now, off limits now?

Auburn Sportsman's Club has most of what you are looking for, except the 200 yard range, and they don't open until 1 PM on Sundays. Perhaps you are better off looking for another sand pit. Is the old one you used, which is owned by the state now, off limits now?

Yeah, totally off limits to gun fire and enforced by local police.

On a side note, I can remember coming home from school as a teenager in the early-mid 80’s and grabbing my .22 rifle and walking to the pit to shoot. I had no case for the gun, just held it in one hand with a box of bullets in the other and no one would ever say a word. I even had a cop pull up to me one time and ask where I was going with the gun and I told him “I’m going to the pit to shoot”, his response, “have fun and be safe”! He didn’t even ask to see my FID card, thank god because it was at home!

What are the chances of that happening now? Let me re-phrase, what are the chances of that happening in Massachusetts now?

I really wish my boys could experience the same thing but those days are gone, long gone!

Back
Top Bottom