• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for info or comments on Hi Point carbines

I owned one in 9 mm.

-Accurate: I’m talking baseball size groups offhand at 50-yards, but I shoot offhand a lot and can hold a 3” group or better at 100-yards with a good rifle.

-Reliable: Never, ever, EVER had a failure to fire or failure to extract, even when shooting magazines full of mixed brands and case materials, i.e., brass or steel. Amazing!

-Must Buy: They make a cool magazine holder that fits into that butt stock ahead of the spring loaded butt plate, that holds an extra magazine on each side of the stock.

I have one I could sell you in 9mm if interested, with 2 magazines.

Cons: The HP name of course, just saying and 10-round mags. BUT, it was designed so to be exempt from the ‘assault rifle’ lists in most states.

Crap: I bought a used but MINT one with all the tacticool crap on it. I took that all off, the muzzle break, the front sight, the forward hand support, and even trimmed back the front plastic frame portion, leaving the barrel stub bare forward of the action. Then added a red-dot.

Summary: With all the crapola removed, it shed a good pound or 2 and then was light, nimble & handy … I used to call it a ‘poor man’s Uzi’ with a 16” barrel, LOL!

So … with all that said, then WHY on earth did I sell it?????

Well, I upgraded to a Kel-Tec Sub 2000, with the Sig magazine release, as that also works for the magazines for the CZ 75B series. Now I can use that with pre-ban 16 and 22-round mags!

Built like an ugly tank, I've owned one in 9, .40, and .45. Reliable, fun shooters, heavy and ugly but 100% reliable. I would love to get another one and leave it at the cabin. I don't think you can kill one.

The Hi-Point carbine is a series of pistol-caliber carbines manufactured by Hi-Point Firearms chambered, for 9×19mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, 10mm Auto, .45 ACP and .380 ACP handgun cartridges. For me it is very reliable.

I picked up a 10mm last year and its a lot of fun. Couldn't beat the price considering the lifetime warranty. No problem pinging steel at 100yds with it all day long.

Built like an ugly tank, I've owned one in 9, .40, and .45. Reliable, fun shooters, heavy and ugly but 100% reliable. I would love to get another one and leave it at the cabin. I don't think you can kill one.

Still have my Hi-Point 995. Yea, it's a tad heavy. Yep, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For sure, not the most straightforward weapon to tear down and clean and thank goodness for bore snakes. Yes, 10 round factory magazines work the best. One in the gun and two on the butt stock. While not an ideal configuration, you are not outgunned ( [laugh] )

I'm kinda thinking that when "Uncle Joe" comes looking for all the evil black guns, they'll see mine, laugh until they cry, and move on to all the AR / AK guys just to make headlines. No boating accidents with HP's.

Jay

166h2aD.jpg

1zSgQFz.jpg

And yes, there actually is a real college name High Point. Highpoint University

Cheap and ugly but great for a gun you don't mind people abusing the crap out of. My only complaint I had with the thing was it had a bad habit of cheek slapping which I fixed with some double sided tape I used for wood turning and an old mouse pad that got cut up.

I have a C9 pistol that digests everything.
The carbines are the same. Tho I don't have one now I will pick one up at some point when a bargain presents itself.
Not real ergonomic or attractive but they just work.
Don't drop one on your toes.

My friend owns a few , they are cheap pos that seem to hold together. Hes sent 2 back over the years and they sent back new units.
The 1st was a 9mm that he had aprox 10k rounds through it stopped feeding rounds.
He did not even bother to clean it , sent it in, picked up his new carbine 2 weeks later.
Few years later 45acp version had a odd discharge that did some damage to the chamber area it would no longer go into battery with out a good nudge but would not fire. Again new carbine was shipped out.
For the cost just know what your buying.
They are popular at one club I go to.
Hi point knows that most buyers are shooting a few hundred rounds a year through them.
I would have to ask my friend but IIRC he has put 10k+ through the 9mm and has to be close to that on the 45 by now?
Dont expect much from cheap stuff and you will be happy

A friend has a Hi Point .. doesn't shoot it much, but never had a bad word to say about it. I think his is chambered for .45acp but don't quote me on that.

I went for the Ruger PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbine) route about three years ago .. and paired it with an SR9c pistol for carbine/pistol combo which share both ammo and mags. Picked up a whole slew of extra 17 round factory mags, plus a couple of "off brand" 33-round stick mags ... I bought all the mags while the "intelligencia" in Springfield, IL were shouting about "hi cap mags are 'bad' and must be banned". Damned poxy tossers they are, every one of them.
I haven't shot my carbine very much in the past 18 months or so, simply because the fun-factor leads to discharge of copiously excessive quantities of ammo - I've had range sessions where I've sent several hundred pills through the pipe. At current prices, that gets spendy.
The carbine also has the added benefit of being able to run rifle drills at an indoor range without all the excessive noise, concussion, etc. of a "typical" rifle. And, I think it makes for a pretty good introductory rifle for the rifle novice as the recoil is mild and the report is not fearsomely loud. My 2¢

Last edited:
Looks ugly and feels shitty. Constantly reminds you of being a huge lump of shit. Actually shoots waaaay better than it looks, though, so there's that. Fun to shoot. Just when you're not shooting it, you want to close the rifle bag/case asap so you don't have to look at it.

There's nothing else at that price to compare to and mine ran fine while I had it. I didn't understand the spring loaded butt-pad which enhanced the stock's function as a beard remover, but only on one side of your face. Complete disassembly is strange but no one ever cleans them so not a problem.

I have a 9mm and love the iron stock sights that come with it. very accurate out to 75 yards or so.
Hate with extreme prejudice the magazines..... Think I have cut my thumb 3x times hand loading mags on their sharp ass feed lip.
Got mine for $200 ish on a group buy here on NES a few years ago.
Would buy it again.

Bought my 9mm here from a member. Front hand grip held together with a drywall screw. LOL. Replaced plastic trigger with an aluminum one so it bites my finger less. As everyone seems to agree, it shoots way better than imagined.

I had a pink one in 9mm, my first carbine back in the day. Ridiculously accurate and softer than 22lr. The good thing is that it’s affordable for new shooters, zero recoil, sights are dead on, and built like a tank.
For us wealthy elitists, it’s fugly, but it does have its place in the gun world.

I had a pink one in 9mm, my first carbine back in the day. Ridiculously accurate and softer than 22lr. The good thing is that it’s affordable for new shooters, zero recoil, sights are dead on, and built like a tank.
For us wealthy elitists, it’s fugly, but it does have its place in the gun world.

Does it use some type of delay? Just wondering how it's a soft as people claim. Not that 9mm is harsh or anything in straight blowback, but you still know you're shooting straight blowback.

Does it use some type of delay? Just wondering how it's a soft as people claim. Not that 9mm is harsh or anything in straight blowback, but you still know you're shooting straight blowback.

No, but the bolt is heavy, which makes recoil “soft and lumpy. “. Most 9mm pccs are pretty polite, especially the ones that use large bolts.

While mine is not pink, I do 100% agree with your "it does have it's place in the gun world". And my opinion of " I'm kinda thinking that when "Uncle Joe" comes looking for all the evil black guns, they'll see mine, laugh until they cry, and move on to all the AR / AK guys just to make headlines. No boating accidents with HP's."

I for one am not embarrassed or ashamed of it at the range. I smile when I shoot it. Others try it and they smile. To each their own.

Uncle Joe will be looking for, and making examples out of all you AR/AK Evil Weapons of War types (and no, if Mrs. @a73elkyss doesn't look in the safes, neither should Uncle Joe).

Hi-Points have some long sorted history (think Columbine) along with some very positive history, but the manufacturer (nicknamed Mom) will stand behind their product, no matter what you do to it even if you are not the original owner. You can not kill this gun and if it fails, you get a new one. How many other items can you say that about.

Jay

They're accurate enough single stack reliable carbines that are cheap - the good

The extended mags look incredibly stupid - the bad

They look like an elephant ate a cx4 and shit it out- the ugly

Y'all forgot to mention Hi-Point's lifetime warranty.
Their warranty applies to the gun, not to the owner.
I bought the one below as scrap, it'd been in a nasty fire. I found the serial number, and sent it in to the factory under the unconditional warranty.
The only question they asked was "who do you want to use as your FFL?"
Ten days later, I had a brand new gun in my hands.

Ugly no matter what you do to dress 'em up, but fun to shoot, and reliable.
Fire damaged 995 carbine 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom