Looking for options on carry ammo.

I am very new to firearms, and I just got my LTC.

So now I am looking to buy a firearm but I can't decide on what caliber to buy a firearm in. I know absolutly nuttin about the types of ammo and calibers, can someone give me some pointers?

I will be carrying a Glock, and it will be for personal protection.
I want to be able to practice a lot also, so I don't want to be spending a lot of money on non carry ammo.

Thanks!

for 9mm carry ammo,

I usually carried 147gr JHP's whenever I found them...

usually Remington Gold Sabre or Federal HST...

for practice shooting

Remington UMC (green box), Whinchester or last resort Blazer. I like the heavier bullets in 9mm (124gr, 147gr) vs. 115gr or anything marked "low recoil"

So now I am looking to buy a firearm but I can't decide on what caliber to buy a firearm in. I know absolutly nuttin about the types of ammo and calibers, can someone give me some pointers?

I want to be able to practice a lot also, so I don't want to be spending a lot of money on non carry ammo.

Thanks!

Just a simple Google search might answer your question.

My strategy? Shoot the biggest bullet you can shoot accurate. But keep in mind the .45ACP-chambered guns usually have smaller magazine capacities than their smaller-chambered counterparts.

Thanks!

I am also new to handguns. In my research over the past month, I decided to go with a .40 Sig. With 9mm, you will spend less in ammo costs. You will have less recoil than a .40 or .45. I based my decision on some friends feedback. Many said to go with the .40 or .45 and to skip the 9mm. I tend to agree after I fired all three of them. The 45 and 40 were both fine for me to handle. They felt more powerful and sounded the same compared to the 9mm. The 9mm IMO was noticeably different with alot less recoil. I will compare the 9mm to a .22 long rifle and the .40 and .45 to a 30-06. Just my .02........

glock 26 or glock 19. Carry ammo: HST or Gold Dot. If you get a glock 19, u need preban mags or else there is no benefit in getting that over the g26 (holds 10 rds)

I carry the 26 with either Federal HST +P 124 grain, gold dot +P or gold dot +P+

for 9mm carry ammo,

I usually carried 147gr JHP's whenever I found them...

usually Remington Gold Sabre or Federal HST...

for practice shooting

Remington UMC (green box), Whinchester or last resort Blazer. I like the heavier bullets in 9mm (124gr, 147gr) vs. 115gr or anything marked "low recoil"

The problem with the bigger bullet/lowere velocity is it may not expand as well. I've seen studies showing the lighter (124 grain) JHP's produce a bigger wound channel and open more consistently. YMMV

LOL, welcome to the forum, you've asked a seriously loaded question here (sorry for the pun)! Its like asking who's girlfriend is prettier[laugh]

I carry 9mm JHP's in 124 grain. Usually Federal Hydrashoks but if you stick to a 'name brand' JHP you're not going to go wrong. Glock's feed well with most everything, just stay away from unjacketed ammo.

I'm thinking about picking up my first gun (hk p2000) .40 s&W and I someone told me it wasnt legal to cc hi-cap mags recently. Yes the state is MA unfortunately

I'm thinking about picking up my first gun (hk p2000) .40 s&W and I someone told me it wasnt legal to cc hi-cap mags recently. Yes the state is MA unfortunately

There's a ton of stuff in the Gun Laws by State folder. Use the search function for Hi Cap Magazine MA or some such (or just browse the folder) and you'll find a ton of stuff from people who are a lot smarter then I am. That's the stuff that brought me here in the first place. Welcome BTW!

BTW, your only option in MA for a p2000 is pre-ban anway as it's not on the approved list.

The P2000 was introduced in 2001, which is long after the 1994 assault weapons ban (which governs the cut-off date on pre-ban magazines). Does the P2000 take USP magazines? If not -- if P2000 magazines are unique to the P2000 -- then there are no pre-ban magazines.

The P2000 was introduced in 2001, which is long after the 1994 assault weapons ban (which governs the cut-off date on pre-ban magazines). Does the P2000 take USP magazines? If not -- if P2000 magazines are unique to the P2000 -- then there are no pre-ban magazines.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

Is using mags for 1 gun in another allowed (per the MA rules). I didn't think they were, or is that only using mags for a different cal. then they were designed for?

I didn't know that. Thanks.

Is using mags for 1 gun in another allowed (per the MA rules). I didn't think they were, or is that only using mags for a different cal. then they were designed for?

Preban mags are preban mags. You can use them in any gun.

If I understand correctly, ATF said that if you modified a preban magazine so that it no longer fits in the original type of gun, then you had broken the law.

zerohourarms.com (they are in easton,MA) They have a ton of hk firearms.

I've been there and bought a gun from them. Nice shop and good guys.

Right now, their web site shows 17 HK pistols. I wouldn't call that a ton, but YMMV. They do have one P2000 listed for $1000.

Having owned two HK USP Compacts, I would buy a Glock 23 for $550 and $450 worth of ammunition long before I would spend $1000 on a P2000.

Last edited:
The problem with the bigger bullet/lowere velocity is it may not expand as well. I've seen studies showing the lighter (124 grain) JHP's produce a bigger wound channel and open more consistently. YMMV

LOL, welcome to the forum, you've asked a seriously loaded question here (sorry for the pun)! Its like asking who's girlfriend is prettier[laugh]

I carry 9mm JHP's in 124 grain. Usually Federal Hydrashoks but if you stick to a 'name brand' JHP you're not going to go wrong. Glock's feed well with most everything, just stay away from unjacketed ammo.

i hear ya. the 9mm was starting to piss me off w / conflicting info. i personally shoot better with heavier weights. it's probably mental.

for JHP: the Gold Saber's were my favorite (when they actually had the 147gr in stock)... otherwise, I'd go for 124gr or none at all.

hence, I went back to .40 for CCW, usually 165gr Federal JHP's nowdays. not the best, but good enough and the price is good too.

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

I've been there and bought a gun from them. Nice shop and good guys.

Right now, their web site shows 17 HK pistols. I wouldn't call that a ton, but YMMV. They do have one P2000 listed for $1000.

Having owned two HK USP Compacts, I would buy a Glock 23 for $550 and $450 worth of ammunition long before I would spend $1000 on a P2000.

Most hk's in one place I have yet to see. Does anyone know of any other stores that carry Hk's ?

Most hk's in one place I have yet to see. Does anyone know of any other stores that carry Hk's ?

HK's do not meet the AG's consumer protection regulations. So the only HKs you will typically see at a gun store are used ones. I don't know any shop that has as many as Zero Hour Arms. You'll pay a very hefty premium as a result of their scarcity in MA.

Back
Top Bottom