Looking for ranges in northshore area

Since i recently bought some rifles i need a place to use them. im looking for a indoor/outdoor range with at least 300 meters in the outdoors.
the danvers fish and sport in middleton seems to be ideal, ive shot there once, but i dont have the 2 people required to vouche for me. lots of clubs seem to have that as a req' and its a major pain. i just want to go to a range, shoot, and keep my skills sharp. im not interested in politics or anything of the like that some of these ranges seem to enjoy.
tips and help appreciated!

Since i recently bought some rifles i need a place to use them. im looking for a indoor/outdoor range with at least 300 meters in the outdoors.
the danvers fish and sport in middleton seems to be ideal, ive shot there once, but i dont have the 2 people required to vouche for me. lots of clubs seem to have that as a req' and its a major pain. i just want to go to a range, shoot, and keep my skills sharp. im not interested in politics or anything of the like that some of these ranges seem to enjoy.
tips and help appreciated!

Check out Georgetown:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/3864/

Crappy website. We are working on it...

A real low key place with some good folks. Next meeting is Monday the 12th at 8:00 if you are interested in finding out more or joining.

Best bet is Mass Rifle. Only 200 yard range though. However, it does not take an act of Congress to join.

Reading Rifle goes out to 600 yds. But it is hard to join w/o knowing anyone.

Best bet is Mass Rifle. Only 200 yard range though. However, it does not take an act of Congress to join.

Reading Rifle goes out to 600 yds. But it is hard to join w/o knowing anyone.

"New members must also do 8 hours of work time or pay an additional $75, bringing the total to $285."
i honestly feel alienated with some of the things that the ranges pull on people. come on now seriously, 8 hours of work? $75 to skip?
other ranges require NRA, others want GOAL, and some want both. im sure ill join both those clubs at some point, but after i just dropped over $3,500 in 1 week on rifles and other misc things that go with them, the last thing i need to get hit with is odd requirements and nra/goal fees. blah!
the range in georgetown is a little out of my way unfortunatly
<- this guy seems out of luck

Last edited:
"New members must also do 8 hours of work time or pay an additional $75, bringing the total to $285."
i honestly feel alienated with some of the things that the ranges pull on people. come on now seriously, 8 hours of work? $75 to skip?
other ranges require NRA, others want GOAL, and some want both. im sure ill join both those clubs at some point, but after i just dropped over $3,500 in 1 week on rifles and other misc things that go with them, the last thing i need to get hit with is odd requirements and nra/goal fees. blah!
the range in georgetown is a little out of my way unfortunatly
<- this guy seems out of luck

I'm not positive on the details, but I'm not sure those requirements are being implemented. I joined MRA this past January, and didn't pay $285 (I don't recall off-hand what the membership total was). I was also not asked or required to work 8 hours. However, last month members were asked - on a voluntary basis - to work at the club for a "work day" which boiled down to helping to clean up the facilities in and out, and do some other work if able. The "reward" for doing so was a $50.00 credit to next year's membership fee. I went (it was a couple of weeks ago), and we worked for maybe 3-4 hours. Got free breakfast and lunch. Turnout was good.

I'd recommend MRA, but I will go on record to say that I do not know about any of the other clubs in the area. I've met some nice people there, and via the MRA web forum.

-Jake

I'd recommend MRA, but I will go on record to say that I do not know about any of the other clubs in the area. I've met some nice people there, and via the MRA web forum.

-Jake

MRA's website says that you cant have more then 5 bullets in the rifle for the outdoor range. if you want to use more then 5 . you have to use the 25 yard indoor range. is that accurate?

I believe that is in on the 50 yard range. It is to keep everything on the reservation.
Unlike Danvers and other clubs, we re our own Range Officers. No set times to shoot.

No one is going to ask, "Did he shoot 5, or did he shoot 6?"
However, if you open up with a 30 round mag from the hip, someone will say something!

Cart before the horse?

"other ranges require NRA, others want GOAL, and some want both. im sure ill join both those clubs at some point, but after i just dropped over $3,500 in 1 week on rifles and other misc things that go with them, the last thing i need to get hit with is odd requirements and nra/goal fees. blah!
<

Hmmm, it's because the NRA and Goal exist that you were able to spend $3500 on firearms and firearms related gear in this state.

While we need more firearms owners in this state we need them ALL to belong to both GOAL and the NRA.

You might want to move that horse forward of the cart.

Go ahead, I've got my flame proof undies on.

Chuck - GOAL Sustaining and NRA Endowment Life Member - Would

Most clubs have a work requirement. If they didn't, who would do the work? The place would start to look like a sh*thouse. Of course all that work could be done by hiring outside workers. We at one time paid over fifteen hundred a year to have the lawns cut. That was eight years ago. Today it probably would be well over two grand. Members now cut them for the price of the gas. If members don't want to help or pay the offsetting fees, then the membership fees go up. You pay one way or the other. Our fees can be satisfied by assisting at matches or becoming a instructor and assisting at one of our many courses. It isn't all manual labor. To be honest, we really don't want the member who only wants to take out of the club but not put anything into it.

MRA's website says that you cant have more then 5 bullets in the rifle for the outdoor range. if you want to use more then 5 . you have to use the 25 yard indoor range. is that accurate?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question, but I'm sure that there will be others who know the answer. I believe that there is a one round limitation on the 100-200 range. Not sure of the smaller ranges.

I think the big disconnect here is that you are looking for a range.

For the most part, a range doesn't exist outside of a club. That club, by definition, needs participation from it's members in order to exist. Said participation will generally involve, at a minimum, work for the common good of the club, or cash in lieu of said work. The work that you don't do will be paid for by the additional cash you are required to pay.

And, not for nothing, but if you can afford a $3500 firearm purchas and ammo to feed them, you have NO excuse for not belinging to GOAL and the NRA.

im starting to wonder how this turned into people being very helpful to lets take turns on dench becasue he doesnt want to be in GOAL and the NRA becuase he said he doesnt like to get involved in politics and hes to cheap... (also, i honestly dont need people telling me that if i can afford 3k in rifles and ammo, then i can afford goal, nra and club dues, becasue i cant. im unemployed and im about to jump on th gi bill as student, ive thrown around about as much money as i possible can, and the funds are running dry) Also, i found it odd one of the people making the point that i should be in the clubs isnt even a NES member. I pay for the resources i directly use, unlike that person. when i start to directly use goal and nra resources is the very same day i will join those clubs

the reason why i was surprised that they had all the work req' is becuase i was under the incorrect assumption that the ranges were a business, and they were making money. i didnt know that they had all volunteer staffs and that they were on the razors edge of budgets. now that i know all these new things, i have to accept it and just go with the flow.
thanks for everyones input so far, im still in the learning process here

Last edited:
I think the big disconnect here is that you are looking for a range.

dixidog i think you hit it right on the head about what i was trying to say.
like i said above im still learning, i didnt know that every single civilain range had a club community based around it. as far as i care, i could go there, not talk to a single person, shoot and leave (as long as i paid of course). i think the reason for that is becuase im on the young side of people going to ranges, and i have little to zero in common with a person thats over 30 years old. but time to be a big boy i suppose.

There are a few ranges run as a business in the area, but they're all fairly short indoor ranges so far as I know: Bob's Tactical in Salisbury, Boston Gun Range out near Worcester, and Boston Gun and Rifle in Boston. (I think all three have been going through various phases of business and legal hassles, too.)

There are also clubs which make their facilities available to the public. I know that Cape Ann Sportsmen's Association in Gloucester is open to the public on Sundays (100 yard outdoor rifle/pistol, I think it's $15 for the day), and there are a bunch of public places to shoot trap/skeet/clays.

But yeah, pretty much anybody around here that does much shooting is a member of a club. (Or two, or three...)

im starting to wonder how this turned into people being very helpful to lets take turns on dench becasue he doesnt want to be in GOAL and the NRA becuase he said he doesnt like to get involved in politics and hes to cheap... (also, i honestly dont need people telling me that if i can afford 3k in rifles and ammo, then i can afford goal, nra and club dues, becasue i cant. im unemployed and im about to jump on th gi bill as student, ive thrown around about as much money as i possible can, and the funds are running dry) Also, i found it odd one of the people making the point that i should be in the clubs isnt even a NES member. I pay for the resources i directly use, unlike that person. when i start to directly use goal and nra resources is the very same day i will join those clubs

Dench, they're just trying to drive home the point that you ARE using the "resourses" of GOAL and the NRA. Without the rest of us supporting those 2 organizations you'd still have that 3 Grand in your pocket because there'd be no guns for you to spend it on. We NEED EVERY gun enthusiast to support these 2 organizations!

Hope you find a good place to shoot and give some thought to supporting these 2 organizations, they're not perfect, but they're the only hope we have.

Oh and BTW, if you're on the GI bill, I assume you've been in one branch of the service or another. Thank you for your service!

dench - there is Bob's Tactical in Salisbury, MA

but the last time I went there, the range fee was up to $25 / pop.... it's an OK place, but it's only indoor.

I am a member of Mass Rifle - I feel the same way you do about politics and meetings ect... so I went ahead and paid the $285 to forfit my work details...

I am NOT a G.O.A.L member, but I am an NRA member...

IMO, you should support at least one - my preference went to the NRA.

I looked on G.O.A.L, downloaded the application and ended up sending my NH non-res CCP instead for this month. LOL[rofl] - ooops... *mental note: send GOAL application when my new checks come in...

Lastly, good luck.... (from one Service Member to another)...

if you ever want to shoot at Mass Rifle, i'd be glad to bring you in as a guest.... feel free to PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom