Looking for suggestions on a single stack in Mass

dEX

I purchased a P30SK V3 for a carry pistol and was kind of underwhelmed. This was my first attempt at carrying regularly and it just wasn't what I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, its an excellent gun and I love my VP9 to absolute death but the P30SK just didn't fit my desires. My wife and I both shoot the VP9 quite well but we are both measurably worse with the P30SK, where she is borderline terrible with it. I think its mostly a function of the trigger.

Fast forward 3 months and my wife just got her LTC. She is a home healthcare provider and recently treated a LEO who said something to the effect of "I really hope you're carrying with how many people's houses you go into daily" (I had suggested this for months but when SOMEONE ELSE suggests the same exact thing, its clearly a great idea, but when I suggest something, it gets brushed off....)

We fondled an M&P Shield 9mm at MFS and she said it felt ok in her hands. I hate the idea of buying a gun and HAVING to change things immediately to get it reasonably functional.

Ive been researching other single stacks and the following are what I would be interested in looking at:

Sig 938
Springfield XDs
Walther PPS
Glock 43

All of which have their pro's and con's but I am looking at the kind folks of this forum to weigh in if you have owned any/all of the above and if you had to pick 1, which would it be?

Does anyone have a Walther PPS or Springfield XDs that I could shoot at MFS? I would be happy to split a box with you for your time.

Thanks in advance.

Derek

Have you considered the Kahr PM9 or it cheaper cousin the CM9? I have a PM9, it's slightly smaller than the Glock 43 and easy to conceal. It's also easy to shoot. I'm not shooting +p ammo so the recoil is nothing like you would expect for a small 9mm.

I'm not a fan of the grip safety on the Springfield. If you're in an arms reach encounter and you need to draw quickly, if you don't have a proper grip on the gun it won't fire. The same can be said for the Sig 938 when you carry it cocked and locked you need to remember to release the safety.

I would try to stick to something that is more point and shoot and doesn't have any extra devices you need to think about deactivating in order to fire it unless you have a lot of experience in stress shooting situations. Just my 3 cents.....Keep it simple.

Last edited:
Have you considered the ruger LC9s? It should have the type of trigger you are looking for right out of the box.

I have not. I will for sure!

Have you considered the Kahr PM9 or it cheaper cousin the CM9? I have a PM9, it's slightly smaller than the Glock 43 and easy to conceal. It's also easy to shoot. I'm not shooting +p ammo so the recoil is nothing like you would expect for a small 9mm.

I have not looked at either honestly. I will though!

This. My sister bought one of these and loves it. Great trigger and priced well.

I will look for sure.

also consider p239 sig, or an older p225 or p6 (German 225). other than these I would give a the lc9 a look, I know a few people and they all love them

The Walther PPS is a fantastic gun. If you like the paddle release on your HK's get the M1 and enhance the grip with a Talon decal. The M2 beats out the G43 and even the performance center shield in every comparison I've seen. Also very versatile with the 6,7 and 8 to mag Options with different length base plates. If you join up the Walther forums I'm sure you can find someone to let you try theirs. Very friendly people there.

Love my dads sig 938. Excellent trigger and conceals very well.

ill be be picking one up as soon as I find a great deal at one of the local shops.

I'm not a fan of the grip safety on the Springfield. If you're in an arms reach encounter and you need to draw quickly, if you don't have a proper grip on the gun it won't fire. The same can be said for the Sig 938 when you carry it cocked and locked you need to remember to release the safety.

I would try to stick to something that is more point and shoot and doesn't have any extra devices you need to think about deactivating in order to fire it unless you have a lot of experience in stress shooting situations. Just my 3 cents.....Keep it simple.
I sure hope you always have a "Proper Grip" when you have any encounter. The xds or one with a Grip safety is nothing you will ever think about and nothing that will "Never" not engage. The PM9 is a great choice as I had one and it was a nice shooter but I hated the Loooong trigger pull.
My Vote if it's also for the wife is a Shield or G42/43 then the LC9s

Make sure she can cycle the slide. The Kahr PM9 is a great gun, but it has a stiff recoil spring and a small slide. That makes it hard for some people to cycle the slide. It is completely unmanageable for my wife.

Love my dads sig 938. Excellent trigger and conceals very well.

ill be be picking one up as soon as I find a great deal at one of the local shops.

I tried my buddie's 938 and it was okay. I wasn't impressed and he was surprisingly inaccurate with it but I guess its a very purpose driven tool. Still, he didn't seem like it was a great fit for his hands but he carries it regularly.

You and the Mrs. may try my Glock 43 at HSA in Hopkinton.

Thanks for the offer but MFS has a 43 that I plan on giving a go next time I go. I'm really looking for guns not in their armory.

Make sure she can cycle the slide. The Kahr PM9 is a great gun, but it has a stiff recoil spring and a small slide. That makes it hard for some people to cycle the slide. It is completely unmanageable for my wife.

Good idea to check. She surely has a harder time cycling both of my HKs than I do.

If you look at the LC9s, and you find the grip isn't quite "there", Talon grips are an excellent addition for short money.

Shield 9. Between that and the G43, my GF prefers the Shield. Too much finger bite with the G43's trigger safety, keeps her from wanting to use it. No practice, no good, out it goes.

Good tip, i kept the PM9 for myself. Even after 1000 rounds it wasn't getting any easier for my wife to cycle.
She has a G43 now and loves it. If you can get your hands on one at a reasonable price do it.
Next up to try would have been an LC9, Ive heard a lot of good reviews from guys who have em.
Best of luck

My Wife has some hand issues and can't rack the slide on a PM9 either. She was able to do so with the Sig 938 in a gun shop however. I have a Sig 938 on order as I really liked the look and handling (in a shop) of that gun.

I've got the G42&43. You and your wife are welcome to shoot either/both. Either at a range, or the pumpkin shoot if you're going.

We fondled an M&P Shield 9mm at MFS and she said it felt ok in her hands. I hate the idea of buying a gun and HAVING to change things immediately to get it reasonably functional.

Ive been researching other single stacks and the following are what I would be interested in looking at:

Sig 938
Springfield XDs
Walther PPS
Glock 43

All of which have their pro's and con's but I am looking at the kind folks of this forum to weigh in if you have owned any/all of the above and if you had to pick 1, which would it be?

938 - I've only fondled one. Impressive piece, and readily available in MA. SA is not my style for ccw (manual safety).

XDs- I've got a 9 & 45, both 3". Nice enough trigger, nice sights, nice fit & finish, low bore axis, and it fits my hand well. No issue with either, and the grip safety is of little concern to me. Fun to shoot with.

PPS M2- It appears a bit bulkier than it really is. Fits my hand the best, and the trigger is tops of the little 9s I own. 3-dot metal sights are good enough. I really like the feel of the PPS M2. Though I haven't handled a PPS, so cannot make a direct comparison.

G43- Lightest feel of them all (and the most flip during recoil). Trigger is okay, but not the most comfortable. The G43 does not fill my hand as well as the others.

With the smaller 9s, fit to hand makes a larger difference to me, than with larger handguns. I also ccw a Shield, but it took a bit to come to grips with. Now that I've spent a lot of time with it, it does exactly what I want it to. I have not experienced any malfunctions with it, and put the rounds were I want them in spite of the MA trigger. Of these small 9s, I don't notice the effort required to rack the slide being much different.

938 - I've only fondled one. Impressive piece, and readily available in MA. SA is not my style for ccw (manual safety).

XDs- I've got a 9 & 45, both 3". Nice enough trigger, nice sights, nice fit & finish, low bore axis, and it fits my hand well. No issue with either, and the grip safety is of little concern to me. Fun to shoot with.

PPS M2- It appears a bit bulkier than it really is. Fits my hand the best, and the trigger is tops of the little 9s I own. 3-dot metal sights are good enough. I really like the feel of the PPS M2. Though I haven't handled a PPS, so cannot make a direct comparison.

G43- Lightest feel of them all (and the most flip during recoil). Trigger is okay, but not the most comfortable. The G43 does not fill my hand as well as the others.

With the smaller 9s, fit to hand makes a larger difference to me, than with larger handguns. I also ccw a Shield, but it took a bit to come to grips with. Now that I've spent a lot of time with it, it does exactly what I want it to. I have not experienced any malfunctions with it, and put the rounds were I want them in spite of the MA trigger. Of these small 9s, I don't notice the effort required to rack the slide being much different.

Thank you for your personal experience feedback.

The wife and I are going to MFS this evening to shoot:

G43
Kahr PM9
MP Shield 9
Sig 938
Ruger LC9s

Im still quite smitten by the PPS M1 as both my wife and I really like the european style mag release. I may have already chosen this prior to shooting any of them but it could change.

Thanks again for all the responses.

One more plug for the PPS. love the mag release and all German made Walthers are top quality at a reasonable price compared to other German gun companies. World class ergonomics and variety of mag sizes/capacity. Really accurate and handles like a full size gun. Plus it's not as common and boring as those other options (Sig excluded). And considering you already own paddle release guns it's smart to keep things consistent. And if you'd consider a double stack the P99c is an amazing carry gun!

Last edited:
I have a Kahr PM45. Love it, best trigger on a striker fired hand gun if you ask me. Agree with the rest...stiff slide. I also have a Shield which I like quite a bit. Had a Ruger LC9...sold it. Had a Glock 42...Sold it. I have no interested in a carry gun with a thumb safety...but thats me, so the Sig's are out. What is the budget for this purchase. The difference in a LC9 and a 42 is going to be several hundred dollars.

Back
Top Bottom