• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking to get a muzzleloader

CVA This is what I bought last year been very happy with it
I also hunted and killed a bunch of deer with a TC 50 inline which was fine I just wanted to upgrade to a break open and a bit shorter rifle.
Also a lot of guys like the Woodman arms rifles Woodman Arms Home Of The Patriot™ Muzzleloader but I doubt you would be able to get one for this year.

Either the Thompson or CVA kits that come with everything can't really go wrong with.

CVA This is what I bought last year been very happy with it
I also hunted and killed a bunch of deer with a TC 50 inline which was fine I just wanted to upgrade to a break open and a bit shorter rifle.
Also a lot of guys like the Woodman arms rifles Woodman Arms Home Of The Patriot™ Muzzleloader but I doubt you would be able to get one for this year.

Either the Thompson or CVA kits that come with everything can't really go wrong with.
awesome good to know thank you!

T/C .56SB are awesome guns. You can shoot .550 round ball that’ll take down a moose or load it up with shot for squirrels, or anything in between.
They best part is I see them available all time for <$200 in the used gun racks.
Even with it being a smoothie I can usually hit a paper plate size target at 75 yards with mine.

Any clean used Rochester made Thompson Center inline
Any clean stainless Remington 700 ML
Any Thompson caplock with a Pennsylvania Hunter roundball barrel
Any Thompson Center Cougar you see

I grabbed a CVA Optima 2 last year. Threw a Vortex 3-9 x 40 on it and I'm pretty surprised what it can shoot at 100 yds.
Certainly minute of deer.

My kids going to carry it Saturday for the youth hunt... he's almost 13 and has no problems keeping a halfway decent groups at 75 yds.

El Cheapo CVA Wolf I got on clearance at a Walmart for under $100. Thing shoots awesome.
View attachment 799897
I have a CVA Optima Stainless I bought at WM for like 150 on clearance.....but Id recommend this as well. Cheap and accurate, easy to clean.

Mine likes Powerbelts, I had varying results with Sabots.

Old school MZ are OK, but if you aren't into that type of nostalgia thing, and just want to hunt with it, unloading and cleaning them sucks ass. You can unscrew the quick breech plug on these new ones and push the pellets and load out of the back.

No need to shoot off and clean, like the old fixed breech guns. And you MUST clean them or they will rust. Putting a scope on the older muzzleloaders is not easy either for the most part like these new ones.

Last edited:
Same. I have a TC Impact.

The question you have to decide on is whether you want a traditional percussion or flintlock muzzle loader or do you want a modern inline. Both will get the job done.
Same. I have a TC Impact.

The question you have to decide on is whether you want a traditional percussion or flintlock muzzle loader or do you want a modern inline. Both will get the job done.
im looking to get the tc omega x-7. thoughts?

You can never go wrong with an omega. I have a tc impact and an omega. The omega is more accurate and overall a better build gun.....but the impact is much easier to use being a full break action. The impact breaks open like a shotgun and makes access to the breach plug easier and cleaning is easier. The omega drops the breech down but the stock is still kind of in the way for putting a socket on it to remove the breach.

The omega is more money.....but the fit and finish and overall quality is worth it imo

Thay said......I hunt with the impact most of the time. It's just way easier to use....especially when your freezing your balls off......its way easier to get a primer on with cold hands..... and inside of 75 yards it kills deer.

You can never go wrong with an omega. I have a tc impact and an omega. The omega is more accurate and overall a better build gun.....but the impact is much easier to use being a full break action. The impact breaks open like a shotgun and makes access to the breach plug easier and cleaning is easier. The omega drops the breech down but the stock is still kind of in the way for putting a socket on it to remove the breach.

The omega is more money.....but the fit and finish and overall quality is worth it imo

Thay said......I hunt with the impact most of the time. It's just way easier to use....especially when you’re greedfreezing your balls off......its way easier to get a primer on with cold hands..... and inside of 75 yards it kills deer.

I agree with what @whacko posted above.

TC Omega is my main gun but i own 5 other TC blackpowders all sidelocks. When i get bored during Muzzleloader season i break out the 56 Smoothbore just for fun. 56 knocks deer flat and is very accurate for smoothbore. Hard to go wrong with older TCs , i dont know about new ones since S&W bought them.

TC Omega is my main gun but i own 5 other TC blackpowders all sidelocks. When i get bored during Muzzleloader season i break out the 56 Smoothbore just for fun. 56 knocks deer flat and is very accurate for smoothbore. Hard to go wrong with older TCs , i dont know about new ones since S&W bought them.

The 56SB is the holy grail of TC side locks. I’ll bet it knocks them flat.

I have a White Mountain Carbine I break out and shoot round balls or mini balls with. 75 yards itll do the job, and its fun to tote around at 6 pounds with open sights.

The old TC muzzleloaders were fit and finished excellent in wood and metal. All their guns were before Smith ruined them, and they were really a fantastic company to deal with.

Last edited:
The 56SB is the holy grail of TC side locks. I’ll bet it knocks them flat.
Last deer I shot with the old 56SB in like 1990, was a doe at 80 yards. I aimed for the base of the neck and she turned and looked when the cap went off and got it right in the snout and it blew the brains out both ears. No tracking.

After that year I traded it for the White Mountain. 56SB was a very front heavy bastard, I didn't like that part, but it was accurate.

What did S&W do to ruin the TC guns? I know there were issues with the way they ran TC but I haven't heard anything about build quality.
Maybe a little harsh.......More it was what normally happens when a small company is bought out by a large corporation. Customer service went out the window, and they quit making a lot of models.

They discontinued a lot of sidehammer models and other guns that were pretty cool in the market but I understand, probably didn't sell much. It did have a lot to do with the market too, as things were converting from sidelocks to inlines. At the same time wood/metal was going out, and plastic stocks and crappier finishes were coming in.

The stuff they make is still good quality and they sold a shit load of encores and barrels and modern inlines that are good guns no doubt.

That said, no production muzzleloader makers have made as nice sidelocks as T/C used to make. The ones from italy and spain are OK, but quality in metal and blue was not there.

I have a TC. It's okay. I wish it were less fussy about loads. It does not seem to shoot any sabot bullet well. It loves power belts though.
Funny my impact is the opposite. Power belts went through the paper sideways at 50 yards and the group was non existent.

I run 300 grain Hornady with the mag express sabot and get 3 rounds touching at 50 yards and a fist sized group at 100.

Go figure lol

Maybe a little harsh.......More it was what normally happens when a small company is bought out by a large corporation. Customer service went out the window, and they quit making a lot of models.

They discontinued a lot of sidehammer models and other guns that were pretty cool in the market but I understand, probably didn't sell much. It did have a lot to do with the market too, as things were converting from sidelocks to inlines. At the same time wood/metal was going out, and plastic stocks and crappier finishes were coming in.

The stuff they make is still good quality and they sold a shit load of encores and barrels and modern inlines that are good guns no doubt.

That said, no production muzzleloader makers have made as nice sidelocks as T/C used to make. The ones from italy and spain are OK, but quality in metal and blue was not there.
I'll agree. It's mainly a fit and finish thing with tc at this point. My impact isn't pretty at all the fit and finish is not good. But it functions perfectly.....the trigger is actually nice for a gun I bought on sale at season end for $179. Killed a ton of deer with that thing it's one of my favorite deer guns.

Ummmm....shipped TYD Conus? Did I read that right?

Is not an Encore Pro Hunter frame a serialized firearm according to the ATF capable of taking shotgun and rifle barrels?

This (frame only) would have to go to an FFL if shipped across state lines?

Last edited:
I'll agree. It's mainly a fit and finish thing with tc at this point. My impact isn't pretty at all the fit and finish is not good. But it functions perfectly.....the trigger is actually nice for a gun I bought on sale at season end for $179. Killed a ton of deer with that thing it's one of my favorite deer guns.
My buddy who has no idea, bought a used impact last year that was not well kept barrelwise, for cheap money.

I cleaned the neglected rusty barrel out and and said....hmmm. Maybe itll shoot, Put some powerbelts thru it and it ran a pretty decent group at 75 yards. Tried Sabots....ugly.

Thats what I get with my CVA too.....though sabots will group OK, PB, group better and more consistent thru a less cleaned barrel. 3 shot groups without cleaning the PB's definately are better for me.

Back
Top Bottom