• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Renewal / EFA-10

BostonGator

NES Member
I received my postcard for renewal in October. It encouraged me to renew early as there is a back log/ delay. I received my receipt, that extends me after my Birthday 2/28, November 13 2023.
Question, can is post a EFA-10 transfer now that my license is expired but I have my extension with my renewal receipt?
I have looked at Mass.gov but cannot find an answer.

The EFA-10 transfer is not allowed through the website despite the fine print (below) at the bottom of my renewal receipt. It will not allow you to proceed with transaction/sale and refers you to the licensing authority (police department) that issued the license.

I sent in my renewal in October. The receipt was issued 11/13/23. LTC card expiration 2/28/24.

Chapter 284 of the Acts of 2014, sections 36 and 54 respectively, creates an indefinite grace period for FID card and LTC licensees who submit a renewal application to their licensing authority prior to the expiration of their current license. The current card/license will remain valid after the expiration date of the card/license until the application for renewal is either approved or denied.

I got my license to carry about a month ago and it is valid for like 5 years. Should I apply for my renewal now considering the time it apparently takes?:p:rolleyes: Seems like we are heading in that direction.

I thought the extension merely allowed you to carry legally, and maybe buy ammo. Not surprised you're disallowed from buying a gun.

MA sucks.
I have purchased several firearms in the state with an expired LTC in the renewal process, I have purchased Ammo at Walmart with a printed 24 hr LTC validation from the portal.

The EFA-10 transfer is not allowed through the website despite the fine print (below) at the bottom of my renewal receipt. It will not allow you to proceed with transaction/sale and refers you to the licensing authority (police department) that issued the license.

I sent in my renewal in October. The receipt was issued 11/13/23. LTC card expiration 2/28/24.

Chapter 284 of the Acts of 2014, sections 36 and 54 respectively, creates an indefinite grace period for FID card and LTC licensees who submit a renewal application to their licensing authority prior to the expiration of their current license. The current card/license will remain valid after the expiration date of the card/license until the application for renewal is either approved or denied.
The MIRCS receipt DOES allow you to purchase and sell during the grace period. HOWEVER, once FRB issues the new PIN and sends your new LTC to your PD for activation, you will be blocked from doing any transactions.

The fact that it didn't work indicates that your new LTC is either in printing/on the way to your PD or in the hands of your PD now. Do contact them.

I have purchased several firearms in the state with an expired LTC in the renewal process, I have purchased Ammo at Walmart with a printed 24 hr LTC validation from the portal.
I have no doubt I could walk in to a reputable dealer and buy a gun or ammo with my LTC and renewal receipt. It's Maura's list and website portal that I suspect is the problem.

The MIRCS receipt DOES allow you to purchase and sell during the grace period. HOWEVER, once FRB issues the new PIN and sends your new LTC to your PD for activation, you will be blocked from doing any transactions.

The fact that it didn't work indicates that your new LTC is either in printing/on the way to your PD or in the hands of your PD now. Do contact them.
In my case I validated my license frequently through the portal, it took about a week and a half to receive my new license in the mail after my old LTC was no longer valid

Well that at least is good news. I have already reached out.

Well that at least is good news. I have already reached out.
Just got a phone call from local PD. Said he is waiting on my pin. Has notification of approval. Offer to call me when it arrives and give me the new PIN so I can complete my transaction without having to wait on snail mail! Not gonna lie, that took me by surprise.

Back
Top Bottom