M855 a1

Anything to help our troops is a ok with me. Sounds like this newer ammo has been optimized for action in the middle east.

I wonder what the terminal ballistics will be like. Will it still fragment at the cannelure? Or will it go straight through?

Yeah, I read an article about that stuff last month in one of those EBR magazines. I'd love to get my hands on a few round to play with.

IMHO; As long as it stops Jihad on contact its good.
That's my question. It is my understanding that much of the effectiveness of 5.56 NATO is due to the fact that above a certain speed, it will yaw after entering tissue and then break at the cannelure. If it is traveling below that speed, it tends to go straight through with small entry and exit wounds, resulting in far less effect on the recipient. I know the reasoning behind the steel penetrator tip -- for better penetration at distance. My question, though, is whether that will result in less lethality?

With all of the good reports surrounding the 77gr MK262 round, I am surprised that they are sticking with 62 grainers.

The 77s work well on soft targets, but their barrier penetration was not as good as the M855. My understanding is that they wanted something that works well on barriers and soft targets.

B

Just found this thread. I just got done reading the whole new Power Point presentation on this ammo. It claims to be better in every way then the old M855 green tip stuff, says its more accurate, will go thru 3/8" steel plate at 350 meters where the old M855 will only do it at 150. The big thing is how it breaks in two on impact, they say it helps the odds of hitting a driver thru a wind shield cause now you have two solid projectiles traveling in that same direction after hitting the glass. It has a higher muzzle velocity then the old stuff two, and more chamber pressure as well. I am over in Afghanistan right now. I just ordered 8,500 rounds of the stuff to try it out.

Just found this thread. I just got done reading the whole new Power Point presentation on this ammo. It claims to be better in every way then the old M855 green tip stuff, says its more accurate, will go thru 3/8" steel plate at 350 meters where the old M855 will only do it at 150. The big thing is how it breaks in two on impact, they say it helps the odds of hitting a driver thru a wind shield cause now you have two solid projectiles traveling in that same direction after hitting the glass. It has a higher muzzle velocity then the old stuff two, and more chamber pressure as well. I am over in Afghanistan right now. I just ordered 8,500 rounds of the stuff to try it out.

Thanks, I've added the file as a PDF to the original post.

I would like to know more about "During testing, M855A1 ammo performed better than current 7.62mm ball ammunition against certain types of targets."

Wondered why I hadn't seen you in a while! Do take care over there bud and drop me a PM with your email when you can... [cheers]

You hit the nail on the head bro!!! Been over here for a while, just had not logged on the site for a bit. But I am at the tail end of my tour so I started thinking of home and logged on.

Last edited:
Thats the plan down the road. The military has invested WAY to much money into 5.56 weapons. So they are looking into better ammo rather then new rifles.

I would like to know more about "During testing, M855A1 ammo performed better than current 7.62mm ball ammunition against certain types of targets."

From what I gather cause of the new style steel tip, it was able to go thru some soft armor that was safe against standard lead core ball 7.62

Does anyone have a source for this stuff? Is it being released exclusively to the military right now?

I have not seen this stuff on the open market yet. Since the Army is trying to get it to the troops, I assume it will be hard to get. But the new stuff the marines are using the bullet is basicly a bonded open tip hunting round that expands better on impact. I have seen that stuff on the market.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/02/usmc-adopts-new-open-tip-sost-5-56-ammo/

I have not seen this stuff on the open market yet. Since the Army is trying to get it to the troops, I assume it will be hard to get. But the new stuff the marines are using the bullet is basicly a bonded open tip hunting round that expands better on impact. I have seen that stuff on the market.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/02/usmc-adopts-new-open-tip-sost-5-56-ammo/

And you likely won't see this one on the open market.

18 USC 922 (a)(7) makes it illegal for licensed ammo makers to sell AP to the general public. We can own/shoot/possess AP, but we can't make it and anyone who can is enjoined from selling it to us. M855 is not AP. It has a steel tip, not a steel core. It could be deemed AP by the AGs office but I doubt it. M855 has no true steel core. M855A1 on the other hand has a much more AP like steel core. YMMV and it is still could be considered non AP, but the characteristics are vague. The AG's office determines what's AP and what is not. M855 has never been marked AP.

The ammo the marines are using does not have a steel tip, so it's likely you will see that around. But yah I agree since the new M855A1 ammo has a bigger steel tip than it might not be so easy to get. Just picked this stuff up today, plan to take it to the range tomorrow and see how she groups.

The ammo the marines are using does not have a steel tip, so it's likely you will see that around. But yah I agree since the new M855A1 ammo has a bigger steel tip than it might not be so easy to get. Just picked this stuff up today, plan to take it to the range tomorrow and see how she groups.

Have fun with it and let us all know whether it groups better than 855, same or worse. I'm just wondering real world effects when the A1 strikes windows, car doors, cinder block, building materials etc. Will it split into two and tumble as two separate projectiles or stay intact depending on what it hits, bodies hiding behind. Anyhow, stay safe and thanks for doing what you do!!

My BZO was not all that off when I fired this stuff. Only had to make a two click difference to the right with my Aimpoint. I only shot at 25-50 yards. So I can't really tell you if it grouped much better, cause at that range I shoot real tight anyways. Did not do any ballistc testing I did not get a hold of any steel plates. What I can contribute is she seemed to have a little bit more "bark" coming out the barrel, but no noticible recoil difference. Looking at the two rounds I can see where the A1 ammo will punch thru more armor the steel tip is pretty big. The round is overal a little bit longer than the standard 855. They are not as easy to speed load in the mags cause of there length.

Last edited:

Yup - the USMC ammo is readily available, but expensive... I think it's referred to as: MK318 Mod-0 or 'SOST'. It's a 62gr open tipped lead jacketed front end and an unusually thick copper base...

And you likely won't see this one on the open market.

18 USC 922 (a)(7) makes it illegal for licensed ammo makers to sell AP to the general public. We can own/shoot/possess AP, but we can't make it and anyone who can is enjoined from selling it to us. M855 is not AP. It has a steel tip, not a steel core. It could be deemed AP by the AGs office but I doubt it. M855 has no true steel core. M855A1 on the other hand has a much more AP like steel core. YMMV and it is still could be considered non AP, but the characteristics are vague. The AG's office determines what's AP and what is not. M855 has never been marked AP.

I hope they can get it to civilians.

They really should being that it is good for the environment.

I want to go green.

Back
Top Bottom